Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Things you have learned from games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Things you have learned from games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is a serious topic about things you may of learned while gaming. It could be something like learning new words or being compelled to see where they got ideas for monster names, origins of myths and what not. If needed this topic can be converted to all enjoyable medias.

I myself get little giggles when I see how much some games may have had research behind them. There was a good final fantasy 7 site that had the possible research and inspiration/influence used for it. Some character sites put what they think could have been the backing to names and places. Monsters in games are often named after "real monsters," Ixion from FF10 isn't fully made up by Square. Ixion is the father of centaurs, FF10's Valefor is a demon. It goes to show you huh?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shiva is an Indian God of sorts and Ifrit is some sort of mythical creature as well.

Hell, is there any GF/Summon/Eidolon/"Whatever they called it whenever" that isn't loosely based out of some mythical reference?

I loved the car's history that the first Gran Turismo game had. I dunno if the others had it, because I don't have them right here, but I do remember the first one had them. Nice history on the car industry from the early 80's to the end of the 90's.

Age Of Empires 2 had a little nice encyclopedia about the civilizations featured in the game.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned that violence solves everything. If there's a problem, well just whack it repeatedly with an oversized weapon of your choice and after a few plot twists the problem will be solved.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learnt that eating green mushrooms and invading neighbouring provinces makes mummy love me even more. :D
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I learned that violence solves everything. If there's a problem, well just whack it repeatedly with an oversized weapon of your choice and after a few plot twists the problem will be solved.

You don't need an oversized weapon. Hell, you don't need a weapon. Your bare fists can lead you through the way.
Of course, you can't forget that the enemies are always in very big number and are equal/twins or just differ in color from each other.

And someone will betray you. They always do.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Decado wrote:

LMAO, true, true.

I improved my grammar a little and improved my math somewhat but nothing serious or notable.

Undaunted Men in Blue

272868 Potch
0 Soldiers
658194 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned about oligarchies while I was discussing the Zexen Council on another forum. I guess it's not knowledge gained directly from the game, but I probably wouldn't have come across the word if not for that conversation.

I can't say I learned much else, though.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Video games like FF (as a child) and Star Ocean nowadays have drastically improved my vocabulary.

I've learned quite a bit of history from Koei, as well.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um...I learned alot of various things from video games that I can't name them all....
Well....seeing this is a Suikoden forum and all...

From the Suikoden series I learned a little bit about the legend called "Water Margin" (NOO not the game Suikoden, the actual original Chinese legend), and
"Even at their most powerless, People's existence is never without meaning" :o

and some other stuff

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned a lot of vocabulary (when I was younger) and also how to be emo (I went through a goth/emo stage when I was like 14... quite embarrassing... I'm talking about full-on Kefka quotes and stuff)

And like others said, a bit about mythology (Shiva, Ifrit, all those gods from SMT and Persona)

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Video games like FF (as a child) and Star Ocean nowadays have drastically improved my vocabulary.

I've learned quite a bit of history from Koei, as well.

...you don't want to be learning your history from Koei. I've played plenty of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Tactics, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Genghis Khan, even a few older Nobunaga's Ambition games. Trust me, this isn't where you want to go to learn history. Some of the Mini Biographies in RTK games are very inaccurate...

In particular, forget a lot of the stuff you heard about Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang.

As for what I've learned from video games? Well, admittedly, there are bits and pieces of history to pick out, as long as you have other sources to tell you what was just made up. Considering that I played video games from a pretty young age (I wonder whose idea it was to make me play Chernobyl first...), I know they helped with vocabulary and spatial thinking, too.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned that attacking a chicken with a sword is not always a good idea >_>

Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned the true meaning of frustration. Smash TV has caused me more angst than any emo kid could hope to imagine.

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guy that is dressed kind of wierd is NEVER unimportant, and they will likely play a pivotal part in some apocolyptic tale. The question is whether they are good...or bad.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A few things I learnt:

a) One hero, equipped with the perfect weapon can achieve things that no army ever can.
b) It is never a good idea to snatch the hero's girlfriend, regardless of whether she is a goddess or she can help you destroy the world.
c) Psychoanalyzing a typical villian is every Freudian's dream.
d) If you see anyone wandering about with no memory of themselves, you'd better recruit them before the enemy does. Fast.
e) Physics be damned when it comes to magic.
f) You can trust almost every stranger that joins your party, but strangely enough, a person you've known for a lot of years suddenly becomes your worst enemy.
g) History is apt to be full of loopholes, just that it's far more obvious than the loopholes in real life.
h) Philosophical questions can be typically answered with one hit from a large sword.
i) Racism is always wrong, as is sexism and all other forms of discrimination. At least, it seems to apply to the heroes. Anything is fair game for the villians however.
j) Either religion or science is always mocked in RPGs in some way.
k) At anytime you see some outlandish name, be sure to check it up in mythology. Chances are, you'll discover something interesting.
l) Your average RPG society may be filled with diseases, plagues, infertile deserts, scary monsters and the like, but somehow manages to be more peaceful than our society most of the time.
m) Small kids are more powerful than you think. Never underestimate them.
n) As with real life, there's almost always a catch behind free food, be it poison or simply food poisoning.
o) When aiming for the villian, always go for the guy with the beard first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: