Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tales of the Abyss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well to quote something I read somewhere, Tales of the Abyss owns!

It's sucking in my awake time like a Black Hole, already at 90 hours and I got it on Christmas.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sorta rushed through the game...missed like most of the subquests and beat the game at 57 hours I think
It's so depressing T-T (me rushing through the game that is)

I've gotta say Jade has some of the greatest lines in the whole game! I sort of wonder though if his lines were directly translated from the Japanese dialogue or did the localization team have to mess around with em a bit. Kudos to whoever did brainstorm em!

I sorta wish though that some of the "talky scenes" could be skipped (like it's possible to do in other games) ...some of em are quite long in my opinion :| specially with multiple playthroughs...but oh well....

Last edited by Ikano on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I beat it at about 45~46 hours, but I went straight through the game, no sidequests or anything else. Awesome game, I must say; a nice redemption after Legendia.

Heh, Dist. <3
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really should unwrap this game and at least see the intro and play a couple hours of it.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just played ToE and ToS and never seen Abyss.Is it really that good?Has it similiarities with the other two games?Are the many sidequests?How long is gameplay?Has it good voiceover?Is the story good?How many characters are there?

Sorry for so much questions and thanks for answers.
Fudozukushi

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:
I just played ToE and ToS and never seen Abyss.Is it really that good?Has it similiarities with the other two games?Are the many sidequests?How long is gameplay?Has it good voiceover?Is the story good?How many characters are there?

Sorry for so much questions and thanks for answers.

-Well I think it's really good.

-Yes there are similarities the battle system has been tweaked a lot but it's still pretty much the same.

-There are tons upon tons of sidequests, second playthrough and I still didn't get them all done.

-Well my first playthrough where I did only one or two sidequests lasted 44 hours, second playthrough while doing the sidequests has put the time over 111 hours.

-Well some voices are so bad I dislike the character because of it, but some voices are really damn good. And it has Johnny Yong Bosch and Michael D. McConnohie soooo....

-Well I like the story but other people have different opinions...

- Seven playable characters but only six are your main party, and plenty of other important main characters.
Adrian Magicent

Ever-Nameless, For It's Mysterious

528 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's a great game and probably has become my favorite of the series. The only thing I disliked, really, was that Luke could be rather whiny and I wanted to smack him.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, he was an ass in the beginning. But if you can get through that part, he does a LOT of growing.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game.

I hate/love it.

Hate Luke (actually, only after his "big change" do I hate him. Sorry, but whiny and annoying and rude >>>>>>>>>>>>> whiny and annoying and emo. 'Tis a fact.). Hate the world map (oh god. SO MUCH hate for the world map.). Hate the constant backtracking (Especially because it involves the world map. Hate.). Hate the fact that Tear's singing voice is so completely obviously not the English Voice Actor.

Love the rest of the characters (Well. Except Tear, whom I merely ignore completely). Love the battle system.

The plot is just kinda...there, for me. It isn't anything new in the least, but it's not offensive enough for me to dislike.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really want to get into the tales games more but I once again find myself almost giving up on this one... I had some issues playing this game until just before the holidays when I got a bit more free time, normally I'd give up on a game if I don't play it for a long time but I got back into this one after over a month cause I really liked how it started before I had to stop playing.

I find most of the characters to be really funny and fun(Anise is Awesome) in Abyss and it started out simple but interesting enough like any good rpg, but now that I got to the point when Luke returned home it's beating me down a bit:

What the hell is up with all the tales games and their extremely complex religious systems???

I feel a bit stupid complaining about this but I played Symphonia for over 20 hours then stopped and played Legendia for only around a hour and just gave up because I just don't want to care about all that stuff as it just makes no sense to me, all of the religious conflicts and issues just goes on and on as if I'm suppose to know it before I even start to play a tales game. just when I start to remember whatever faction the main party is supporting, there's new crazy religious names, titles, and teachings popping up that seems important but I can't even see why or remember them later on...

Like I said I was really liking Abyss because the characters are very lovable and until now all that religious stuff are not involved as much as in the other 2 games, but it feels like all that crap is about to pick up. I really don't want to give up on this game but I don't see myself fighting through all that when I can't follow much of it either... is there a Tales Religions for Dummies book some where to help me keep up?
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had the feeling that all that stuff was dumped on you simply because you're not supposed to get it... playing as Luke, who has no memories, is awesome that way. He wouldn't know what the hell is going on, so you wouldn't either. That was my interpretation, anyway.

Don't feel bad, though. I didn't start to finally start remembering stuff like that until the end of the game, and I still enjoyed it.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't get to much into the religious aspect of it either but that didn't bother me....

I just took it as one side believes in this "pre-determined future" and other side doesn't

....well and then the "doesn't" side is split into two smaller groups--one that sees this "pre-determined future" as chains and the other sees it more positively....but I didn't split it that much till closer to the end of the game...

Anything more detail about the religions beyond that I just tossed aside

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, the Order of Lorelei is really not that convoluted (Xenosaga's Ormus was what threw me for a loop), though I appreciate the relative complexity of the world religion after the rather simplistic, misrepresented Catholicism knockoffs that plague so many JRPGs. Tales of Symphonia had a particularly bad one, which is why I give Tales of the Abyss extra stripes for developing Daath as much as it did.

Here's the basics on the religion in Tales of the Abyss:

-- The central religion, as well as its religious body, is called "the Order of Lorelei." It resides at the northwestern land of Daath, a neutral theocracy.

-- The Order of Lorelei is based on the teachings of Yulia, a prophet of Lorelei, the manifestation of the Seventh Fonon (Sound).

-- The Order of Lorelei's purpose is to uphold the Score, the prophecy of the world's future as written by Yulia. Lesser Scores are read for individual people upon their birthdays to prepare them for the events and challenges of the coming year.

-- The Seventh Fonstone is Yulia's Score for the age in which the characters currently live. It was damaged and the missing parts thought lost during a war fought for possession of the Score (for whoever possessed it could learn the future), so most of the cast only knows the opening lines, and they trail off at a very key point.

-- TotA sees a rift forming in the Order of Lorelei among two, though possibly three people: Van, Commander of the Oracle Knights (leader of Daath's army, essentially); Ion, Fon Master (the head of the Order); and Mohs, the Grand Maestro (the high priest, and second-in-command). Although Ion is unquestionably the leader of the Order, Mohs possesses a great deal of sway over the Oracle Knights, as does Van, who commands the Six God-Generals.

-- Ion has the ability to use "Daathic Artes," an array of abilities only able to be used by a Fon Master such as he. This is important to some of the events in the plot.

-- Ion really, really, really, really, really looks like a girl.

I'm not sure one of those is entirely relevant, but that's the gist of the Order of Lorelei.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Fudozukushi

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He doesn't look that much like a girl, am I the only one who thought that or something? Besides Radiant Howl Extension rocks so it doesn't matter.
young_gunz

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First Time I saw Ion, The only question for myself was "Is s/he a girl or boy???"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: