Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

reactions to Stephen Colbert at the Press Correspondence?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: reactions to Stephen Colbert at the Press Correspondence? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know how many of you saw anything about this, but Stephen Colbert came out and spoke quite buntly to the President and others.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_co ntent_id=1002425363

Also, here is a full transcript of what Colbert said. If you look on YouTube you can find the full thing.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_co ntent_id=1002461887

I believe that this was a stroke of genius.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Stepen, he's in some ways funnier then John Stewart.

I belive this was at the "roast of George Bush'

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, he is a comedian after all, making jokes of the president is a must, It's the first rule in the book.
Quote:

I speak straight from the gut, OK? I give people the truth, unfiltered by rational argument

That's pretty funny, I think I do the same most of the time... quite troubling indeed. It seems the president did tell him "Good Job" so it couldn't have been that bad I guess...
Quote:

Now, I know there are some polls out there saying this man has a 32% approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in "reality." And reality has a well-known liberal bias.

I love this one.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I for one am sad I didn't watch it on Tv, But Youtube is okay too I guess. I've been watching the Daily Show for years, and was happy when Colbert got his own show. I was more happy that it still airs... I think who ever hired him knew he'd say those things (heck he took most of his speech from his show). I also think you could see the butt kissing during President Bush's skit (Which wasn't half bad... heck it was the funniest he's been... well when he's trying to be funny) every thing he said go huge laughs, but Stephen got about half that with double the comedy.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Colbert. I too am gald that he got his own show.

I personally thought it was genius to have Colbert at the Press Correspondence. Bush looked pretty confused as to what was going on (as usual). Here's my favorite quote:
---------------

OK. Doesn't matter. The point is it is the heart-warming story of a man who was repeatedly punched in the face. So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't.
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was an excellent presentation. I wasn't able to catch it on television either and I am disappointed that I missed it but YouTube did fill the gap. It did seem that almost all of his comments were getting laughs and it was pretty easy to pick out the favorites. The single line that got me laughing the hardest was the snow job crack toward the end. The parts about running the press conferences though the spell checkers and the fiction writing for the honest reporters were also gut busters.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there really contraversy about this? I haven't heard of anyone disapproving of this yet, probably because everyone I know has a damn sense of humor. If they didnt want him to say this, they shouldn't have created america.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Colbert is my inspiration. Seriously, I don't think I would have the nerve to say that stuff to the President's face and God knows I agree with everything Colbert said. I've heard the routine didn't go over with the press very well because Colbert didn't insult the press and the president equally or something like that.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was more impressed by the fact that Bush allowed Colbert to give a speech at the whitehouse correspondent dinner.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars, I wonder who hired him for that. I mean, have they not seen the show?

I think Colbert's speech was good. It attacked him on public issues and didn't go too far into his personal life (as Don Imus's one attacking Clinton did). It was a roast. It was pretty funny.

That said, I don't think he's the new Edward R. Marrow or anything.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was a fabulous speech, truly brave and inspiring and unique in such way that only Colbert could realise it.

Here are my favorite parts:

"But, listen, let's review the rules. Here's how it works: the president makes decisions. He's the Decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Just put 'em through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know - fiction!

Because really, what incentive do these people have to answer your questions, after all? I mean, nothing satisfies you. Everybody asks for personnel changes. So the White House has personnel changes. Then you write, "Oh, they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." First of all, that is a terrible metaphor. This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg!"

Also he blamed the media for playing innocent while in fact they are as much as part of it and guilty for failing to do their duties and going along with the administrations reports/statements during the early years:

"Over the last five years you people were so good -- over tax cuts, WMD intelligence, the effect of global warming. We Americans didn't want to know, and you had the
courtesy not to try to find out. Those were good times, as far as we knew."

The adience didnt find it that much funny and I think some of them didnt even understood them. But addressing so many issues in such a short and powerfull speach in front of the president in the wolves lair of the political elites, I for shure find it a historic speech.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
I was more impressed by the fact that Bush allowed Colbert to give a speech at the whitehouse correspondent dinner.

From what I heard, it was a bit of an accident. The guy doing the line up supposedly didn't know what Colbert was really about.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe that has something to do with, the fact that he's conservat-ish on his show.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe they just caught the opening of his show and never bothered to review the content. With the bald eagle flying around and him waving the American flag I can see how they might get the wrong idea about his political leanings. Had they actually reviewed the content you would think that the outcome would have been very different and he may never have received the opportunity that was presented to him.
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well you see often in his show, he acts as if he is a neoconservatist or even beyond that some kind of ultraconservatist. But what he actually does is by acting as that he ridicules the neoconservatists and show their flaws of the neoconservatist style of reasoning/rationalising. Someone who doesnt pay close attention, overlook the entire satire and could easily mistake this guy for a real neoconservatist.

I think something like this might have happend. And actually Stephen Colbert himself says during the speech how shocked he is the president has accepted to be on 'his' show (read how he is shocked he is invited to hold a speech at the Press Corespondence with the president)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: