Suikoden United and Illegal Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Pesmerga Sucks Ass
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Editorial: Pesmerga Sucks Ass Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
They can not spell ("pezmeragera iz kool lol0rZ!!")
They display no logical thought ("pesmeragra is the b3st!!")
They use no punctuation ("i wuz playin sukoden 2 and wuz uzin pez he iz so kool i tink im hungry an stuff omgwtf lol wherez mommy"
They do not capitalize ("i lurve pessy")
They spam (making topics such as "i saw a skunk today...")
They have no skills, and often beg others to make their avatars, etc. ("plz mek mee a picture thingie")
They make unrelated topics in unrelated forums (Talking about DBZ in the error report forum).
They do not wash.

It's about time somebody spoke out against the raging Pesmerga fans other than a nasty reply in forums.

Although curiously I thought you'd played Suikoden IV. Not that I want spoilers or anything, but I figured you'd know if he was in there or not.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now I am big fan of SARSadmin's editorials, but I really didn't like this one, it's not that I like Pesmerga as a character all that much, but for different reasons.

Firstly, I don't think that he is as bad as SARSadmin makes him out to be. Most people on their first play-through of the game (that they get him) will put Pesmerga into their party, simply due to his impressive raw stats. He will probably be recruited at a really high level with probably the highest STR of the whole 108.
Now you must admit, if you are playing a game without knowing the important of fury rune, exertion rune, double-strike rune etc, and the best armours to use, Persmega is one of the best tanks in the game, and most people would probably think this before they check out Suikosource or here. This is why people think he is one of the best characters in the game, because he is good without effort.
He also has excellent MDEF from what I remember, making him good to use against bosses. I can never remember thinking, "Oh no, I need an armour which protects against (insert element here) for the next boss," so his high MDEF is good enough, it is not one of his bad-points as you make it out to be.
SARSadmin also criticises him for not having high enough SPD to be a useful attacker, yet he suggests that Rina, who should have roughly the same SPD is an excellent attacker

Secondly, I don't like the way SARSadmin attacks the people who like the guy. I used to think that Pesmerga was one of the best characters in the game, but now I don't. I personally haven't changed at all in that time, all that has changed in that I am now informed about the usefulness of other characters. I did not and never have fell under any of the categories SARSadmin listed and I am not boring, tedious or sucky, nor ever have been. I would say that most people who highly rate Pesmerga, just haven't tried out a lot of the other characters yet.

Thirdly, SARSadmin says that he has a boring character. But I would say that he is a lot more exciting than say, Genshu or Gantetsu or Zamza. The aura of mystery and intrigue around him, aswell as him frickin cool-lookin armour, make up IMO for the fact that his character isn't developed. I mean everyone has their own preferences for characters I know, but I sure could understand if someone gave these reasons to use him.

I would say that most people don't strive to play the game with the ultimate party, rather with a combination of strong characters ang characters they like. And if these people like characters which are cool-lookin rather than have a cool personal history and background, then let them use Pesmerga. Don't attack them.

Last edited by Glen Cott on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha Yeah, that was funny stuff..err..that is if you were just joking around, and not all that serious. Otherwise, it's an editorial, and they're supposed to have opinions and crap like that, so,,,whatever and all.

As for my thoughts on Pesmerga, well, like Randomguy(he makes some good points BTW) before me, I used to like Pesm. when I first started playing the Suikodens, because I wasn't really into customizing the characters all that much.
I was more into the story, finding all the characters, and looking for new items and tricks.
And with Pesm. you can kick some butt without even knowing how the rune sytem works that well, because like RGuy said he has good STR and PDF stats right off the bat.

Also I'll have to agree with SARS that he isn't very customizable, and for that reason I got bored with using him on about the third playthrough. There isn't really much you can do with Pesm. besides put him in battle and have him attack.
I figured that if you have all these characters to put in your party, then why not try everybody on different playthroughs.

So as I see it, Pesmerga is more for beginners or poeple that don't want to put a lot of effort into the game.
And since there will always be either of these two type of poeple, if they annoy a person, then that person will always have something lovely to gripe about.

IMO - I think the main thing that annoys SARS is seeing time after time poeple who don't put an effort into thinking logically or attempting to do any type of research, and probably needs to let off some steam(and this is some type of therapy or something) before he uncontrollably starts deleting 'sucky' poeple right and left.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know about Pesmerga. I mean sure, he looks cool - but Yuber looks cooler and has more character development. ;P If Pesmerga had more character development I'd probably be a fan of his - assuming that he'd turn out the way I picture him to be (and that's a not-so-innocent bounty hunter).

As a character in the game... well Suikoden I, which I played almost completely through before coming to Buffalo for college, was the first time I used him in my party. Forget the fact that he was slow because that never really bothered me one bit. What bothered me was when I took him to fight Sonya. He'd always miss, she'd counter him and I would be pissed because all my other characters were running out of spells since I had used quite a few on the clam boss. So after that I generally went for a "better" character suited for that battle.

Just liking a character isn't neccesarily bad, just a little boring hearing that as an answer constantly. If you give him potential characteristics in your mind he can turn out to be an interesting character - but again, that's fanfictionizing him. :mrgreen: Maybe one day we'll see something about him that will give him substance.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to see empirical data on the relative cleanliness of Pesmerga fans as opposed to non-Pesmerga fans, preferably organized into at least 3 of these 5 methods:

1. simple table of values

2. bar graph....one bar is smelly Pesmerga fans, other bar is non-smelly Pesmerga fans

3. 3D bar graph(because its pretty)

4. pie graph(because its tasty)....this could be done by studying the entire category of people who do not wash, and seeing what percentage are Pesmerga fans.

5. whack me with a ruler

I will withhold any judgment on both Pesmerga and the anti-Pesmerga editorial until I see this data, SARSadmin. Have it on my desk by Friday.

You get extra credit if you also study how the cleanliness of Pesmerga fans has changed over time.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KoRnholio wrote:
I would like to see empirical data on the relative cleanliness of Pesmerga fans as opposed to non-Pesmerga fans, preferably organized into at least 3 of these 5 methods:

1. simple table of values

2. bar graph....one bar is smelly Pesmerga fans, other bar is non-smelly Pesmerga fans

3. 3D bar graph(because its pretty)

4. pie graph(because its tasty)....this could be done by studying the entire category of people who do not wash, and seeing what percentage are Pesmerga fans.

5. whack me with a ruler

I will withhold any judgment on both Pesmerga and the anti-Pesmerga editorial until I see this data, SARSadmin. Have it on my desk by Friday.

You get extra credit if you also study how the cleanliness of Pesmerga fans has changed over time.

lol, just fire me dude.

Besides a pareto chart would suffice to show the greatest problems Pesmerga fans pose to the suikoden community.

Next coming up-- Luc and his fangirls.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wha? I wanted to see graphs and stuff! Fine, you're fired! And you owe me a pie! Or a pie graph

edit: And you can just call me "Mr. 3000"......
mergle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That editoral cracked me up. Especially the blatant overgeneralizations about Pesmerga fans.

Back in my AOL days, my sister and I posted "suikoden" in our profiles as interests... and we got countless IMs from random people who took characters who "looked really tough/cool" into various boss battles and then came crying to us when they couldn't beat these bosses. Pesmerga was frequently on their list. They also usually had more than three S-range fighters.

BTW, SARSadmin, don't blame Luc for his fangirls. Well, okay, maybe a little, but not too much. Angsty bishonen attract 'em like honey attracts flies, and I suppose it's his choice to angst. But he didn't ASK to be drawn a bishonen, now, did he? =P
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you, SARSAdmin! I agree...I`ve never seen what so great about Pesmerga, even though I don`t really mind the guy. I`ve never had any interest in using him, though. The editorial was perhaps a little harsh, but it was probably meant as a joke, so...

But instead of Luc, can`t you please make an editorial about the truly overrated Suikoden characters: Viktor and Flik? I mean, they`re likeable enough, but there are better chars around(IMHO of course). Give me Valeria any day. :P

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

heh, you guys are funny.
but do you think you could really laugh at yourself? I cam from a magic land, which now is dead, its owner built this land on wrongfull intentions and mocked his would be minons, then he playfully mocked his minons, and again horrficly mocked his adversaries.

I see here, why donse't anyone make fun of their beloved suikoden commuinty" we're doing it now, all you have to do is make up/make fun of people, and make a page that looks and works like a 'read only" forum (sans reply)

me? Pes is a reason to rerember you don't need "full characters", sure he is mysterous...but that is it for now, because the info isn't givin to us. so why not, somone who writes do the same?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As soon as I saw this I immediatly thought it was going to start a flame war or something. Obviously I haven't been here that long and was surprised, unless it happened and was deleted before I logged on. <_<

Anyway, I agree with a lot of your points. I never used him myself because he was far too slow. The slowest person I ever used in battle was Viktor and he was slow enough for me. As for Georg, he always joined me at level 99, which is apparently a glitch, and was the fastest person on my team. I don't remember my party in 1. I think I used Crowley instead. I don't remember. Great job as always, and I loved the jab at the Pesy fans.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Many people say that Pesmerga is strong and claim that he is one of the best, if not THE best fighter you can have in your team.

He is one of the best, if not the best fighter you can have in your team. If we're talking about Suikoden 1 that is. Sure his damage dealing skill is weaker compared to the 2 or 3 rune slotters in Suikoden 2, but keep in mind that Suikoden 1 was released before Suikoden 2. So some people could acknowledge how strong he was in S1, and then just thought that he was equally strong in S2 (which he was, it's just that some other characters got extra rune slots compared to him). So unless you wrote exclusively about S2 (which I don't understand why you would because Pesmerga appeared in 2 games and not just S2), then that statement by Pesmerga fans is at least half true.

Quote:
Because most attacks you would receive from enemies after you acquire Pesmerga is magical in nature, his high DEF doesn't really help at all.

That's where his high MDEF played a part, making him useful compared to others who have lower MDEF (unless you want to waste accessories by equipping Guard Rings to have as high MDEF as Pesmerga's).

Quote:
How useful can Pesmerga be with his non-elemental protected, heavily armored buttocks against that? Zilch.

As mentioned earlier, his high MDEF would make him receive less damage compared to weaker characters with lower MDEF. Sure the other characters might have elemental protection or whatnot, but seriously speaking, most of the players would not bother to customize the elemental protection over and over again for each characters against each boss. So Pesmerga could survive even without elemental protection. Not to mention his high HP would allow him to survive even longer.

Quote:
However , an unremovable rage rune will make Pesmerga unable to do any damage against enemies who have resistance against fire.

There aren't that many enemies who have fire resistance anyways. One of the Beast Rune parts had that resistance if I remember correctly, but there's always the other parts for him to attack anyways. No big deal IMO. Getting 50% extra damage for most of the fights is a fair enough cost to pay compared to the few that would not be able to be attacked by him.

Quote:
He is clearly better with a rune that would enhance his physical attack capabilities.

Agreed here. Might have no point to use him as a magic user. Though it would be alright IMO if we want to make him as a healer, though definitely not the best healer at all.

Quote:
In comparison, open rune slots mean a character can have damage multiplying runes such as Fury, Doube-Strike, and Double Beat. The combination of the above three runes sextuples the damage.

Well it's not really fair to make it sound as if Pesmerga is *that* weak, mind you. There are only around 10 characters with open 3 rune slots anyway, so he's still decent IMO. And if I remember correctly, there is none of those 3 rune slotters who had high DEF and HP at all. So the Double Strike Rune could backfire and killed that character quick enough (especially dangerous when fighting bosses that could attack multiple times/turn like Beast Rune and Seed-Culgan). Whereas Pesmerga's high HP might allow him to survive the attack.

Quote:
--while Pesmerga at his maximum STR and weapon power would do 950 damage with a double strike rune.

Not entirely true. STR = 255, WPN = 160, ATK = 415. Double Strike (you use x2 damage, right?) would allow him to deal 830 damage. Plus the extra 50% from the Rage Rune on weapon = 830+415 = 1245. If added with berserk status from Battle Oath spell (that most of us used during boss fight and assuming that we got lucky) = 1245*1.5 = 1867.5 damage. While not as high as 2400 for a 3 rune slotters with only 100 STR and 100 WPN that has to wait until the sixth turn, that's still reasonably high IMO. Sure that most of us won't get 415 ATK on Pesmerga, 350 might sound more fair, but it's still reasonably high IMO.

Quote:
Thus, even a weak character can outdo Pesmerga in the damage department.

True, but again, only around 10 characters have 3 open rune slots.

Quote:
Anothert problem with Pesmerga is his speed. He is slow--and because of that, most battles would be over before he even gets to attack. How useful!

As mentioned by RandomGuy, his speed is similar to Rina's, and yet you speak very highly of her. Sure Pesmerga is not as customizable as Rina, but he's still not slow at all and more like average.

Quote:
His low TECH makes a critical hit less likely, which means Georg Prime is better in pretty much everything besides MDEF (which can be augumented with accessories).

Average TECH, not low. The only low stat of Pesmerga is his LUCK which practically doesn't mean a thing at all (or at least we still have no clue whatsoever what that stat does). Georg's MDEF is half of Pesmerga's, and you said that it could be augmented with accessories. I'd definitely like to see how you could cover 120 MDEF with 3 accessories alone. I have no clue that there is an accessory that give +40 MDEF bonus. And even with high TECH, Georg didn't really do critical *that* often anyways.

Quote:
How can anyone possibly like him, besides for some lame reason such as how his armor looks cool? Thats a lame reason for like a character--and it is also true that people who like pesmerga tend to be lame.

I don't see what's wrong with it though. Some players like Jeane due to her (lack of) clothes, some people like the ninjas simply because they are ninjas, and probably other cases as well. Main point is that whatever people like a character for, it is up to them because it is a subjective issue. Whether you agree or disagree with them, that's another problem. But as far as I'm concerned, it is just insulting when someone insulted other's choice for something subjective like that. If someone like Pesmerga because he could deal the most damage in Suikoden 2, feel free to say that he's wrong.

Quote:
Pesmerga is a boring, tedious character that totally sucks, and if you disagree with that, you're probably boring, tedious, and sucky, too.

Sure I probably am ...

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know i almost always use "pessy" as soon as i reach castle level 4. Since i Overwhelmingly prefer a physical party pesmerga is the top candidate under georg prime in s2. and in 1 he is in the middle front. B M complains that you cant remove his stuff but its really the best equipment in the game (for the most part anyway)

We all have our personal prefeneces but For a physical party THE logical candidate is pesmerga along with georg.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, this is so funny! I am glad I wrote that article *rolls around in laughter*. I'm busting my guts, guys!! Help!
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OMFG!!!11!1!1 J00 D4R3 D155 the PERSAMERGER!!1!!11!
OMGWTFBBQ U SUK OLOLOLOLOLO KTHXBYE!!!11!1!1!onehundredeleven!!6!

Oh god, i think my IQ just dropped to zero for a minute. What a rush.

All the way to the edge of this world
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: