Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The island nations federation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: The island nations federation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been wondering how powerful is the island nations? Shu included the island nations as one of possible threats to Dunan Republic. Even cathari said Harmonia is keeping a close eye on them. Is is becouse of the Rune Cannons? If so they shouldn't really be worried after all most rune cannon shells are destroyed right?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When did Shu ever say that? The only thing I remember him saying about the Island Nations was that the coin he threw into the river was the kind he used when trading with them.

From what is seen and sort of hinted at, the Island Nations are only so-so in terms of numbers. What makes them a respectable force is their tight control over the ocean between the northern and southern continents, superior naval technology (in terms of craftsmanship), and their rune cannon bluff.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't think shu said island nations where a threat. only thing that comes close is that he mentions all the different nations to the east, north and south of duan.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok let me rephrase what I said shu mention the various countries sorrunding dunan to emphasize that Dunan was in the middle of many powerful countries. Cosideing that the island nations was mentioned along with such countries like grassland and harmonia one has to assume that if the island nations did want to attack they could be a serious threat to Dunan Republic. Other things that might support the probability that the island nations are a force to be rekconed with is the fact that armes did not want to have a war with them. And Lucretia fear that Godwin would ally with them
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They've a strong navy, that's about it.

Shu did not mention the Island Nations if you're trying haphazrardly to quote the conversation I think you're trying to quote.

Besides, have you considered that it'd be a waste of time anyway? When Shu made his speech about Jowston being surrounded by nations, at that time, the only way the Island Nations could not have attacked the country unless they navigated the Dunan river. Which would mean sailing through Lake Toran for one.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They could attack the High East from the eastern coast, but it's not like the Island Nations have the manpower to maintain an occupation.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
When Shu made his speech about Jowston being surrounded by nations, at that time, the only way the Island Nations could not have attacked the country unless they navigated the Dunan river. Which would mean sailing through Lake Toran for one.

Mmmmm, tasty.

Anyway, Suikoden V shows that the INF's political involvment is southern based. They have relations with Falena and have on-again off-again conflict with New Armes. There's nothing to suggest they get involved in anything beyond their region, besides trade, of course.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw that, but wasn't "at that time" after Highland fell?
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well from some conversations from Cathari you learn that even Harmonia is at least wary with the island nations. And they are already monitoring the island nations. That shows that even harmonia considers the island nations a "possible threat".

Maybe they believe that a nation with rune cannons(im guessing they don't know its a bluff) is a nation you don't want to mess with.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Harmonia considers any property they don't own a possible threat. (Though to be honest I don't see where you saw Cathari say that; I don't remember it.) They're probably investigating them for true runes.

INF seems to primarily deal southwardly; Harmonia is far, far north and short of trading partners, I just don't think the INF is that interested in a nation that's no threat to them (for the time being).

*Actually, a thought: do we know if Harmonia has a navy?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
*Actually, a thought: do we know if Harmonia has a navy?

Presumably they do, since we know that they command coastal territories, and they are also reportedly in control of even more territory on another continent further north of the 'northern continent'. I've heard conflicting stories on this though, as some people seem to think that these ambiguous northern territories are actually just their normal territories, but worded in a strange manner. Also, it would seem hard to believe to me that a nation like Harmonia would just forego the formation of a navy entirely...especially if they've got people investigating Falena and The Island Nations...probably for ways to expand their influence, and to gather more True Runes to themselves.

I don't remember Cathari saying that they regarded Falena or The Island Nations as a threat either. I recall her saying nothing of substance at all, really...just that she's from 'the northern continent', and a member of 'a certain nation', which Lucretia does not represent the aims to interfere of. She, herself, seems to be more of a spy than anything, and Harmonia presumably sends those everywhere. If she has any specific agenda that might regard The Island Nations as a 'threat', she could also be referring to something coming from the Howling Voice Guild rather than the Harmonian government, which could be anything.

They also might be wary of the Rune Cannons as Rune hunter suggests. I have trouble imagining that they could fool Harmonia for that long about having Rune Cannon Shells when they have hardly any remaining, however. More likely, they'd be investigating to see whether the Island Nations had possibly developed a way to manufacture such shells. If so, undoubtedly Harmonia would want to retrieve that information and bring it back home for their own use. Even if Harmonia does not have a navy at all, those cannons could still be a very powerful weapon on land.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actual when you recruit cathari and bring her to lucretia she said that the events in Falena was of some concern to Harmonia and they would interfer with Falenan politic if the situation calls for it.

Also another possible concern Harmonia might have would be the Rune of Punishment. I mean its in its forgiveness stage right? Thus it can be used without killing its owner. Being its a true rune it would make Hero4 ageless and possibly be working for the island nations
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If or when the rune leaves Lazlo, it will return to its Atonement phase and what he attained would no longer apply to the ones that come after.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

true but i dont think it has left Hero4 yet and we can probable assume it hasn't. Its so unfortunate RoP is MIA right now so we can only speculate who has it
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lazlo may well still have it, we don't even know that much. By the time of Suikoden V, it would seem that Lazlo, and his role in the war that formed the Island Nations Federation, has been completely forgotten. Harmonia would probably be aware of the Rune of Punishment being in the Island Nations Federation somewhere, though, considering Hikusaak's interest in True Runes, and how long Hikusaak himself has been around. Perhaps he wonders who has it, and where it is, too?

As for Cathari warning that 'a certain nation' on the northern continent would interfere with Falenan politics if they felt the need to - that no doubt refers to Lord Godwin and his attempts to seize the Sun Rune. Harmonia might not know exactly how powerful the Sun Rune is *Spoilers* That it destroyed the Ancient Armes Kingdom, for example. but they almost certainly know that it's a powerful Rune. Likely, they even know something about the natures of its curse, and why Falenan Queens don't use the bloody thing. Therefore, Godwin would have been of some concern to the Harmonians, obviously.

*Spoilers* If the Godwins got hold of the Sun Rune, that could even mean a military problem for Harmonia down the road. Not to mention, of course, that Hikusaak was likely not amused with the idea that an usurper, and an expansionist, at that, was on the track of being able to pull the Sun Rune out of its hibernation state and wield it, despite not being a true Queen of Falena. Obviously their fears in this area would have been justified, since Godwin successfully seizes the Sun Rune from its pedestal at the end and wields it against first the Tenkai's army (although it's mastered by the Dawn and Twilight Runes) and then later in the final boss battle.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: