Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Two Tenkai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea of having a game that covers two sets of Stars of Destiny seems like a great idea but I fear that it will either take too long to complete or the story and characters wouldn't be fleshed out enough to make the game great. Sure the pure quantity of characters would give loads of possibilities but how well could the game be developed if you had to give equal time to two separate armies?

I think that the quality would slack on both sides and the game would end up being mediocre at best. I really like the idea but just don't see how it would be developed in the standard time. Even if the game was done to perfection it might take upwards of 200 hours to play though and collect everything. That's big investment to make for a single game. I really like the idea though.
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^yeah i know a game involving two sets of stars of destiny is surely massive but given the proper amount of time needed to somehow develop and give depth to it, it can be a great finale (maybe not suiko 6, its too early to end the series imo) to the whole series.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it's "canon as it gets" that can only exist one set of SoD's at a time.

but is it really? we can only say that because it has not happened yet on the series (on one game). and as far as two characters having the same star of destiny, do you think, uhm, the "insert star here" of suiko "insert installment" passed on his/her star to the character occupying that star some x years after that installment? so that we can officially say that the present tenkai is thomas and the previous ones are not anymore because only one set of stars of destiny can exist at one time?

another speculation for the two tenkais:
hey think of windy coming back to life and fighting her sister, leknaat, by means of informing a new tenkai to gather his/her own set of stars of destiny to somehow fight the tenkai leknaat told to collect the other set of stars of destiny.

lol im really into this speculation thingy. :P
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
hey think of windy coming back to life and fighting her sister

Windy and Barbarossa are MIA, so we don't know if she's dead (although many of us pressume that no).

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely agree that it would be a great way to finish off the series. Most game series never get such a send off and simply just fade away into memory hoping that the IP holders will someday get around to making another game with a competent development team. That or they go though installment after installment degrading in quality with each sequel.

As for the canon issue, it's only canon until some developers throw something new out there that challenges the old system. Sure, I'll have to go though continuity and review and what not but nothing is set in stone thanks to the readily available manipulation of individuals.
Vinsfeld

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd much rather have a...MGS 2-esque situation. Except explained in more detail. Your main tenkai learns things after you play with him for a while (things that don't much make sense to you or him of course), then something happens that causes him to "disappear" for a good while. Then you have the new character show up and you control him for a long while. The first one resurfaces after some time being more badass then before, and then you choose one of the two to be the Tenkai. (Of course, it seems more like the second would be the Tenkai star, and the first would be another star, if a star at all. Weirdness.)

But, Anything would be interesting, as well as the main mixup, just so long as its not a souless effort. xD
LadyNite

63615 Potch
3 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not about having two set SOD but the 1st tenkai died in mid of battle, then he got replaced by other tenkai....I think it has more emotion when we have to watch our hero died !
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To boost up the emotional impect of the death the second Tenkai will probably have to be a person who shared much time with the original tenkai, because othwise the would be a really good chance to raise the emotional involvement of the played given away. I think if the tenkai was a bit older than the tenkais to date and the second one younger than there could be a great storyline shown in which the older one teaches the younger one almost everything before he dies.

The Fool
LGM

The Fungepuck Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion its impossible to create an involving story in a game where you kill off the character you're controlling halfway through. How would you control the action if your character was deceased? Plus story would lag if you had to explain 'no, the other guys dead, I'm just the temp.'

The only way for tenkai to be killed and the game to continue, was if the character you were playing was another star, but only if that character was from the beginning of the game, and was an enforced group member.

Perhaps if you controlled a member of the army who was not in control of the military decisions (a foot soldier along the lines of Futch or Hix), that weas given orders to follow, it would give a fresh perspective. I do find it a little odd the guy in charge is sent to wander around sewers and caves and battle all comers while the rest of his army slacks off back at HQ. That isn't the way wars are fought.

Of course, only Tenkai can recruit SOD's. Its their job. Maybe instead it could be that all 108 stars are already gathered, but only by advancing in rank that you can command other stars, the Tenkai only being accessible for your party when you become important enough? Even that your character is the last recruited SOD at the beginning of the game, but the Tenkai is the last accessible character for your game?
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
In my opinion its impossible to create an involving story in a game where you kill off the character you're controlling halfway through. How would you control the action if your character was deceased? Plus story would lag if you had to explain 'no, the other guys dead, I'm just the temp.'

The death of the lead character may be something unheard of, but that was the same with Psycho. Hitchcock was probably the first one who lead a character whose course of action we followed for quite along time into death. That gave the hole story something more frightening, because everybody could die. This won't be of course the thing we want in Suikoden, because it's no Resident Evil with RPG, but nevertheless it could give you a sense of danger no matter what you're doing.

This could be possible, because if men can change fate, a single man, even the tankai can make a mistake that causes his death. I don't know what happend then, because in the average game such a thing can't happen, but would that mean humanity has lost and felt from the edge of time (because that's the time a tenkai raises)? Or would another one who has the abilities to fulfil this task be needed to change the fate? I don't know, but it could be interesting.

The Fool
LGM

The Fungepuck Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, the Janet Leigh's character in Psycho did die, but it was a film; we see that world from the fourth wall, whereas in a video game we lead the action ourselves with the constant vision of the back of our lead sprite's head.

I see no reason why a tenkai couldn't die at the beginning of a game or after the last battle, but in the middle would break conventions of Suikoden as rigid as the 108 stars. Its the reason the Tenkai is silent: you are supposed to have complete control of that character and what they say. You disagree, they disagree, you want to go left, they go left.

Admittedly the game may force you into decisions (which without would compromise storytelling), but you are still given power which in a film you would have no control over.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What if you get to choose your Tenkai. Like, one goes down one path while the other has a completely different path. Make sense?

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats an intresting idea Seraphym, , and so is LadyNite's, idea of two tenkai's and i like, especially with the next Tenkai bieng quite close and known to the present one who dies.Very intresting and would be really good in a game, definately.

Tenkai

Dawn Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey! Talkin' about me?
lol

Well I have an information to share with you, I don't know if you're aware of it, but in the original novels of "Shui Hu Zhuan", the former leader "Chao Gai" dies near the end of the novels, and the Tenkai Star: "Song Jiang" replace him. But Chao Gai is the former Tenkai star of the story even if he does not appear on the tablets.

So in the first Suikoden, Odessa is Chao Gai!

Ladynite's idea is really good and fit perfectly!

Lyon & Miakis *.* I love you both *.*
vampiric

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

216 stars, hmmm interesting, yet... naah.
Even with 108 stars, there's still some "boring" or "unused" characters.
I don't mind 2 main characters, or 2 controlable characters, but 2 tenkai just not fit with the story, except suikoden want to leave their 108 stars of destiny tradition.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea of two Tenkai is actually.... pretty good :)
but how do you look at the name in the Tablet of Stars??

Tenkai Star
Hero 1/Hero2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: