Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Difficulty of the games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Difficulty of the games? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you think about the difficulty of the games? I've only played 1 - 3, but I have noticed an increasing level of difficulty throughout the series so far.

Suikoden 1, I died once in 4 play-throughs due to the insane stats of the main character.

Suikoden 2 was on a decent difficulty, with a few difficult battles that I had to try a few times atto beat, but nothign I couldn't overcome.

Suikoden 3... that's the first game I got "stuck" (by my standards) for a LONG time. I believe the last time I played an RPG that hard was... Final Fantasy 4, SNES release, which is hailed as the hardest FF game of the series. The battle with the Ice Dragon, as well as the fights leading up to the final boss (Yuber and Sarah) took me over 10 tries each to beat!

And I hear that Suikoden 4 is hard, in an annoying way, to the point that people dont even want to play it. I stay clear of most S4 and 5 topics though due to my firece hatred of spoilers.

So what do you think? Are they making like Harry Potter and making the games harder each time?

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I was very easy. I haven't beaten it yet, but almost, and I can say it has no difficult scenes. Okay, it wasn't too easy and it don't loose tension because of this, but one can play it through without hesitating.
Suikoden II was harder to beat. I had to level-up my party on two occasions (I liked it) in order to defeat Luca for example. The first time I played the game I gave up... :oops: I am at the fourth chapter in Suikoden III (two done with Chris, one done with Hugo and the first chapter with Geddoe at the moment) and till now it was rather easy.Suikoden was in my opinion not really difficult. I lost not a single fight as far as I remember, but I will play the game a second time soon and maybe it's just my memory that tricked me.
All in all the Suikoden series isn't that difficult, but still claiming.

The Fool
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Geddoe's chapters are usually alot harder than the other two. And after Chapter 4, it gets crazy hard. I dont even remember how I did beat the ice dragon.

I would like the strategy battles and duels to be a bit more difficult though... I was able to wipe out all of Zexen in each of the Buddehuc battles without uberleveling my characters, and they just TELL you what they are doing in duels!

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
And I hear that Suikoden 4 is hard, in an annoying way, to the point that people dont even want to play it.

i never found suikoden 4 hard at all, i found it very very easy. even on my first playthrough of 4 i never found it that hard.

suikoden 1: the first time i played it, it was pretty dam hard since i had no idea on what to do. since it was my first suikoden game i played back in 95, it was dam hard. but over the months of playing it, it got easier since i knew what to do.

suikoden 2: a lot easier when i first played it than 1, since i knew what to actually do this time. now the whole game is cake walk for me.

suikoden 3: to me it wasn't hard. but the wind rune incarnation just suck and beat it with like only 1 or 2 people that were still alive.

suikoden 4: very boring in the begining but still easy. people say they have a hard time on the rune cannon tree but i didn't have any real big problems with that.

suikoden 5: i won't say any thing on 5 since you can't out of the suikoden 5 part of the forum.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't really found any of the Suikoden games to be difficult. Actually, very few RPGs are difficult at all to me. I found parts of Xenogears difficult...and...other than Tactical RPGs, which are difficult for other reasons (usually because you don't want X character to die permanently...) ...that's about the list. I think that the Suikoden games started getting harder for a very simple reason though: the power of the Tenkai star. Sure, you've got certain characters in Suikoden V, who I won't get into in this forum, who are just ridiculous...but...do any of them compare to Tir McDohl? Tir was basically in the top couple of characters in everything, strength, speed, skill, hitpoints, defense, and magic.

Not only that, but he had the Soul Eater Rune, the most powerful Rune we've seen in Suikoden so far! 100% instant death to all enemies? As I recall, there was no non-boss enemy that Deadly Fingertips and Hell didn't work on. Even when it was dramatically reduced in power in Suikoden IV, it was still quite formidable. Ted also mirrored Tir in some ways, though not quite as extreme...more powerful in magic, but less powerful everywhere else.

Riou was almost as bad. He was just as ridiculously fast, powerful, and magically inclined as Tir...but the Bright Shield Rune wasn't quite as formidable in an offensive sense as the Soul Eater. However, with the Bright Shield, I almost never needed a second healer in my party in Suikoden II. I thought that the Luca Blight battle was somewhat difficult on my first playthrough, just because I didn't have anywhere near 18 powerful characters to battle him with...but I still defeated him without too much trouble by stacking my third party.

In Suikoden III, however, there are four different main characters, none of whom is even close to as mighty as either Riou or Tir. Although Geddoe is extremely powerful with his True Lightning Rune, the limits on skills for all three characters (and Thomas too, but I wouldn't really say he counts anyway...) give them discernible weaknesses, and none of them has the be-all end-all all around magnificent stats of Tir or Riou. The Ice Dragon battle was somewhat difficult...and I think the True Wind Incarnation at the end is the most difficult final boss of any of the Suikoden games, but then, I thought all five final bosses were embarrassingly easy.

In Suikoden IV, once again, you're dealing with a Tenkai who isn't nearly as overpowered as Tir or Riou. Not only that, but compared to any of the other True Runes, the Rune of Punishment is somewhat lackluster. Its spells are gradually released, and its level 4 spell is basically a less impressive version of the Level 4 Cyclone spell. With the exception of the level 1 spell, which is powerful through most of the early game, the Rune of Punishment is basically outclassed by 'advanced' Elemental Runes all the way across. However, in Suikoden IV there are two things which really make the game all too easy:
- The training room, which allows you to get 8 characters at level 99 with...I'd say maybe an hour and a half to two hours of invested time.
- Ted, with the Soul Eater Rune, and excellent all-around stats.

Also, using the 'Flash' attack, you could skip the final boss' turn when it's in its 'white' or dangerous phase, and just completely stop its ultimate attack from ever going off.

I won't get into any detail in Suikoden V, but I thought it was almost as embarrassingly easy as Suikoden I or II. I understand others have had more trouble with it, I'm not really sure.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff, in Suikoden 1, since it sounds like you played it when it first came out, its likely you weren't as experienced with RPGs as we are now.

Maybe my characters were underleveled or something... but I found Suikoden 3 to be ridiculously difficult. Even Geddoe vs Le Burque's mantors took me a few tries to beat, and the final bosses took me 5 tries each (except the true wind rune itself, which took me 2 tries.)

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Buff, in Suikoden 1, since it sounds like you played it when it first came out, its likely you weren't as experienced with RPGs as we are now.

exactly, i believe that was my first rpg that i played for any system....i think.

ForeverKnight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be completely honest, most of the people who can actually tolerate Suikoden games, story-wise, are the kinds who can actually stomach an RPG for its depth as a game and as a story as opposed to sitting there for hours, gawking at the pretty graphics, beautiful boys and angsty music videoness of it all.
Most of those players have been playing for some time, and by most merits, are pretty decent players. While the Suikoden games may seem easy to us, there are probably some out there who have a lot of trouble with it. Given they are, by all standards, moderate and intermediate on the difficult scale, there are those who would look at a lot of this and just scratch their heads and give up.
My roommate is a classic example - while he's an awesome guy and I'm glad I have him as opposed to some jerk in this house... he's watched me play Suikoden V and he's said, several times "I just don't get these games." This guy is also someone who plays Halo, Black, NHL 06, and similar games almost addictively.

Don't dismiss a game's difficulty just because it was easy for you. I think Suikoden works out perfectly because, for an RPG with almost no tutorials, the learning curve is quite shallow, and picks up at times, but not so much as to discourage the player, and there's plenty there to hook the veterans, like the 108 Stars of Destiny.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It took me 4 times in Sui 1 to get all the stars, 3 in sui 2, and hopefully 2 in 3. I definately DO appreciate a challenge, I'm saying that the gap in the games really surprised me.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

do you mean the gap in the timelines between the first 3?

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No... I was talking about the level of difficulty, and how huge a gap there is between each of the games. I also wanted to confirm how difficult Suikoden 4 was.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

really suikoden 4 isn't that hard, the toughest thing is getting used to the naval battle and the final boss. but other than that it can be easy. but you may get made with how much traveling you'll be doing with out the champion orb.

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
really suikoden 4 isn't that hard, the toughest thing is getting used to the naval battle and the final boss. but other than that it can be easy. but you may get made with how much traveling you'll be doing with out the champion orb.

the naval battles were easy as hell as they basically give you they keys to victory in the first few seconds of the game (that and they introduce you to whiney McSnowe)other then that its really only hard if you lack common sense (hmm water > fire...so i should use water then, thx helpful naval battle obvious tutorial!)

Granted its not as easy as 'charge the archers' in S1 it wasnt as oblivious as S2 (has anyone actually used investigate to get damage %'s for certain units, it gets ridiculous) and S3 kinda deviated from the norm.

Also you forgot Viki, she pwns the champion rune :P

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:

well yes she does, but you gotta remember when your traveling to different islands to gain them as allies you can't use the blinking mirror.

dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
eXistence of Fly wrote:

well yes she does, but you gotta remember when your traveling to different islands to gain them as allies you can't use the blinking mirror.

bottomline is: viki = uber 1337 time saver

as for the difficulty, i have some reactions with the war battles.

suiko3's war battles are hard imo, my thomas party always gets brutalized by ordinary enemy units. damn leveling up. well okay suiko 1's and 4's battles were pretty or too easy for me. while suiko 2 fits my tastes best. i just love how my pesmerga , georg, viktor units charge onto enemies leaving a bloody mark on the battlefield. woot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: