Suikoden Ugly and Informational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why do so many people hate Microsoft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(Haha) It's because Bill Gates has more money than than most countries GNP. I didn't start hearing widespread critical responses toward Microsoft, until after Gates spent something like a cool billion on his home(bastard).

Once you reach a certain level, the poeple will always want to put you in ego check. We certainly don't want Gates ruling our everyday decisions, now do we? And I'm sure every other company out there is angry for Gates controlling the market share, and not sharing the pie. I mean all those profits for one company is a bit excessive, I think.

I do think that poeple's critisms towards Gates business tactics is well founded. The guy is very underhanded when it comes to controlling his market area. He will cut out as many oppurtunities for other bussinesses to make any money that work in conjunction with his products.

And as far as how well Windows and whatnot work, hell I'm not a programmer, so how would I know about how well it could work!
But I will say that the biggest is rarely the best(example: Wal-Mart), it's just the most convient and likely the most affordable.

But as they say, business is war.... and Gates is winning.

For now...
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say I hate Microsoft, but I'm not overly fond of their products or business practices.

I still have Windows 98, I refuse to get XP because all I've read about the massive security holes that its predecessors didn't have....plus, I don't have any reason to switch, there's nothing that I want to do that Windows 98 doesn't have....its not like I'm playing the newest and flashiest games anyway(my computer doesn't have enough storage space to handle it!). I can at least play some semi-recent games in 98, which is the only reason I don't wish I still had Windows 95.

IE isn't the best browser but its good enough, for me at least.

Their business practices aren't very fair but there's enough anti-Microsoft competitors in all fronts of the computer world that MS can't run unchecked.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They monopolize the market because they are quite easily the best programmers for the computer programs out there hands down without question. Sure due to the monopoly people cannot even compete with them for the market but think about it would people rather buy top of the line or would they rather buy second string products merely because they are not Microsoft? Common sense says that you go for the better product rather than going for the other company. These are facts that give Microsoft the monopoly on the market.

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gosh now I notice why everyone dislikes Microsoft its strange though that I heard that Bill Gates himself didn't have much to do with the X-Box except during the launch,soooooo why hate the X-Box. :wink:
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe, I do recognize that Microsoft are supposedly the best programmers in the world, but I disagree that their products are are "top of the line." I can see how they can be considered top of the line since they have a monopoly on the market. With no competition, even mediocre garbage could be considered "top of the line." As I said before, their hardware is often quality merchandise and I do choose the Microsoft products over others because of that, it's their software which leaves much to be desired.

Some of their products are quite good, and those I would pay for. Microsoft Word is my favourite word processor, and I use it often. But the Microsoft operating systems I've had are mediocre at best.

The same could be said for the professional wrestling world, for example. When WWF and WCW were in head-to-head competition with each other, they would pull out all the stops in order to come up with better programming than their competition. But once WWF bought WCW, that competition was gone and there was no reason to really push themselves creatively, since they didn't have to fight to stay on top anymore. Now they're trying to simulate the competition between two brands of the same company, but all it has become is WWE vs. WWE. Though it seems like the only real competition evident at this point is Eric Bischoff (RAW) vs. Teddy Long (SmackDown!)

With Microsoft having their own monopoly, it's not too much to ask that they ensure they put out products of the highest possible quality before charging their consumers an outrageous price. In fact, we have the right to demand that of Microsoft since it is our money (the consumers) which enabled Microsoft to become the global conglomerate they are today. Once their next operating system has been released and tested, I might consider purchasing it. But if it's just another buggy system I'll most likely go with Windows 2000.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But it has always been Microsoft vs Macintosh. We all know that Microsoft is the bigger one, but the Mac users wouldn't use Microsoft while more and more Microsoft users changed OS either to Mac, Linux or Unix. So I don't really consider Microsoft to "monopoly" while they indeed have the largest share of the market among them all.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's true, Bugg. Though, as far as the PC is concerned, Microsoft has a strong monopoly. It's funny when you think about how much Microsoft has taken from the Mac, which includes the basic Windows program and I believe the mouse originated on the Mac as well.

The first computer I ever had was way back in 1986 and it was an Apple ][ system. We didn't have it for very long, as I seem to recall it was faulty, and we never got another computer until 1997. When I got the computer (second hand) in 97, it had a version of the Windows 3.x operating system, but it was upgraded to Windows 95 when it was seriously upgraded shortly thereafter.

Blaze Silven

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree with croix. since microsoft is a monopoly, it can do just about any thing it wants to
or until I die

Last edited by Blaze Silven on Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blaze Silven

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh if microsoft does do what it wants that also means that it shows up the gov. as well
or until I die
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's natural to dislike something that becomes very successful. Take Final Fantasy, Microsoft, and an athlete's dominance over a sport, and see how many times people root for the underdog. However, I don't hate microsoft. Their programs are easy to use and don't bother me at all. I tried using apple's internet browser with their computers, and it took about half an hour to figure out how to maximize the screen. I kid you not. (I'd be embarrassed to tell this story normally, but you're all friends)

Microsoft is very essential to the economy as well. Some of you will have to correct my information, but this is what I was aware of.

Yes they were branded as a monopoly by the U.S federal government. As a result, they had to give up their code (i don't know what code it was) to the smaller companies so that their programs would be compatible. the increase in prices were the result of the costs microsoft suffered in trying to make a new code. (Please correct me if this information is wrong)

What I am aware of is that during the time Microsoft was sued, the stock market fell especially in the field of computers and related fields. I vividly, remember my uncle yelling at the fax machine in his house when he got the quotes.

Until someone out there creates something extremely easier (and well known) to use than Microsoft's programs, Microsoft will continue to be big. If we could all use linux easily, we would do it in favor of internet explorer. Although, I wish they would do something about those blue screens of death.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the biggest challenge for someone creating competitive programs against the mainstream Microsoft products, is the mainstream nature of Microsoft. An upstart operating system could be far superior to Windows (just assume for the sake of argument) but if nobody really knows about it or the company behind it, developers will just stick to the product they know since it will ensure their product is available to the largest consumer-base.

If said company's reputation grew as people began to take notice of their products it might slowly draw away consumers from Microsoft, but it would take a large defection in order for it to reduce Microsoft from holding a monopoly to being a competitor. Take, for example, the video game consoles. Sony is, by far, the leader in terms of the market share, but Microsoft has established a fanbase of their own. I still think it's a bit ridiculous for them to claim that the (relatively) poor showing of the Xbox is due to Sony getting the PS2 out well in advance of the Xbox's launch. While there are gamers who can only afford to buy one system, those who are interested in the Xbox will get one regardless. However, for those gamers who can only afford one system, it all comes down to their preference in games and if the Xbox happens to cater to their taste, it's the system they will get.

My biggest fear with a potential Microsoft take-over of the home console market, is for console video gaming becoming a clone of PC gaming, including blue screens of death and the need for endless patches and upgrades. I'm lucky that Sony and Nintendo suit my taste in video games, and while their machines may not be as "graphically superior" as the Xbox, I can settle for a less pretty game if it's the type of game I enjoy. I must admit that Fable looks to be an intriguing game. If it is ever released for the PC, I'm almost positive I'd pick it up. (though I'd need to upgrade my PC in order to play it) One or two games is not enough to warrant an additional system purchase. If I could be reasonably sure the Xbox's successor would have a wider variety of games I would be interested in as well as confirmed (it may already be, for that matter) backwards compatibility, I would pick the game up when I could fit it into my budget.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Yes they were branded as a monopoly by the U.S federal government. As a result, they had to give up their code (i don't know what code it was) to the smaller companies so that their programs would be compatible. the increase in prices were the result of the costs microsoft suffered in trying to make a new code. (Please correct me if this information is wrong)

Not sure how true your information is, but what I was told by my lecturer last year during his class was the exact other way around. Microsoft tend to have a look at smaller companies' products, then if they found a little bit of Microsoft's copyrighted stuff being used during the production of the said software (let's say a tiny bit of the coding used a calculation done in Microsoft Access or whatever), then Microsoft would sue the smaller companies for copyright issues. In the end, the smaller companies would be forced to pay a share of the profit to the already billion dollar company Microsoft. Some people don't like Microsoft because they tend to bully the smaller companies, making them not able to really advance the technology.

And in a case if Microsoft found about about it prior to the finished product, the representation of Microsoft would approach the smaller company to talk about it. They would offer two choices. One is to join Microsoft, so that the smaller companies could be allowed to use Microsoft's copyrighted stuff. Two, Microsoft would not settle the issue, which in the end would literally put the development of the product to the end. Again, bullying system.

Quote:
Until someone out there creates something extremely easier (and well known) to use than Microsoft's programs, Microsoft will continue to be big. If we could all use linux easily, we would do it in favor of internet explorer. Although, I wish they would do something about those blue screens of death.

Well Linux is getting more and more popular these days, but obviously it's not really meant for beginner users. I'd be dead if I have to face Linux system, I'm not going to understand a thing at all. Unix is already hard enough for me to really make all the things done fluently, let alone Linux.

The last I remembered, Mozilla's Firefox has been starting to sway away the Internet Explorer's users. But with Microsoft's basically-unlimited fund, I think it's just a matter of time before Microsoft released a newer version of IE that would be even easier to use.

Probably a good analogy of Microsoft vs the others is Junk food vs other food. Microsoft is junk food, people know that it's not healthy but people keep on eating junk food. Why? Because it's practical (quick preparation time, cheap, etc). Real meal might be healthier and even more delicious, but it takes more preparation time and might be more expensive.

Same thing with Microsoft, some people would be annoyed with the blue screen of death, but they would keep on using it. Why? Because it's practical (more games compatible with Windows, more sites compatible with IE, etc etc). Linux might be way more powerful compared to Windows, but most people don't understand how to use Linux. No matter how good it is, if people can't use it, then it's useless.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Not sure how true your information is, but what I was told by my lecturer last year during his class was the exact other way around. Microsoft tend to have a look at smaller companies' products, then if they found a little bit of Microsoft's copyrighted stuff being used during the production of the said software (let's say a tiny bit of the coding used a calculation done in Microsoft Access or whatever), then Microsoft would sue the smaller companies for copyright issues. In the end, the smaller companies would be forced to pay a share of the profit to the already billion dollar company Microsoft. Some people don't like Microsoft because they tend to bully the smaller companies, making them not able to really advance the technology.

Yeah, that's what my professor said too. I was referring to the sentence Microsoft got after the lawsuit and not what they were doing beforehand. There were other sentences, but this one stood out to me. Instead of the way you mentioned, they had to do the opposite in order to have other programs run with Internet Explorer.

Yet as yourself, Elc, and I mentioned, they will continue to be a monopoly unless more practical and well known software, hardware, etc. joins them in the market. But you have to hand it to them for making something easy to use.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They may of taken over alot of business stuff, as u can tell im not good with that "stuff" haha.

But they do equipt alot of office, and important places with good and up to date equipment, without it the world would be going very slow. so good on em ;)
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate them because they create a mediocre product and throw their money around without caring for their customers (they don't, it's plainly obvious) or the consequences of their actions.

And the X Box.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: