Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why do so many people hate Microsoft.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Why do so many people hate Microsoft. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've seen so many people who hate Microsoft so my question to you all is why?I'm not mad or anything I'm just wondering. :?
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because they're monopolising the market, and they are mean ol' bullies!!

I'm sure there are many more reasons, but that's mine.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that's exactly what i was going to say - but for most things to work, and information to be shared, they've got to be universal, so, the same system helps, and it'd always be "Get what's compatible with everyone else" or "use the reccomended programs", and most all tend to be microsoft products.

as to their monopoly, i guess seeing it's profitability, you'd wonder why it sees smaller companies as threats, but again, in the business sense, it's a threat, and if you got the $$$ to back up the legality to protect your business, you damn sure will try.

it's easy to vilify their high profits and success, but business isn't always pretty, and the only way to stay on top, includes keeping everyone else at the bottom. it sucks, but if it wasn't microsoft, it'd be someone else, and they'd be doing the exact same thing (regardless of what they say now as an underdog)
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do so many people hate Microsoft. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Croix wrote:
I've seen so many people who hate Microsoft so my question to you all is why?I'm not mad or anything I'm just wondering. :?

Because it's Mainstream.

I'm sure some people got valid reasons to hate them, but, mostly it is just because hateing mainstream stuff is considered "cool".

All the way to the edge of this world
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't hate Microsoft at all to be honest. I like using Windows, it's easy to use and wouldn't be as complicated compared to Unix. And most, if not all, games are compatible with Windows while might be only some are compatible with other operating systems. So yeah, I like Microsoft.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't hate Microsoft because they're mainstream, I hate them because not only do they control the PC market, they overcharge their products to the consumers. Windows XP Professional costs $450 Canadian (the Amazon.ca price, before any taxes) whereas the latest Microsoft Office is $650 Canadian (before taxes).

From my own experience, they operating systems aren't all that great, since there's a 50% chance I will get the Blue Screen of Death when trying to perform a simple function such as shutting down the computer. There are too many security holes which should not be there, which renders Windows vulnerable to any number of worms and viruses.

Then there's Internet Explorer, not an overly-terrible browser, but certainly not one of my favourites. Somebody at Microsoft got the brilliant idea to integrate the Internet Explorer browser into the Windows operating system. So, whenever IE crashes, there's a good chance it will wreak havoc on the OS as well.

Perhaps the biggest reason I dislike Microsoft (hate is such a strong word) is their insatiable greed. They started out as a software company for computers, but as the company has grown, they've done what they could do to buy out their competition. Then they noticed how profitable to home entertainment sector could be (like the richest company in the world needs even more money) and got involved in the home console market, buying up development houses left and right.

A couple years ago, I also heard they want to replace the projectors in movie theatres with a version of Microsoft's Windows Media Player. Now the last thing I want after paying $10+ of my money to see a movie is the show cut off halfway and display an illegal function error.

I'd better stop, since even thinking about what makes me dislike Microsoft can set me on an incomprehensible rant with no end. However, I don't want to see any company monopolozing any markets.

I do, however, like some of Microsoft's computer-related hardware (no, not the Xbox) such as the natural keyboard and optical mouse. I have had a glitch or two with the mouse, not sure if it's hardware or software related but I digress, though it's nothing that clicking on the scroll bar doesn't fix.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Then they noticed how profitable to home entertainment sector could be (like the richest company in the world needs even more money) and got involved in the home console market, buying up development houses left and right.

i put it to you, that if it wasn't them, it most certainly would've been someone else. there's only so much growth within an area (offices and home IT), that the expansion into home entertainment is in no way different to McDonalds, KFC, or Burger King's overseas ventures - new markets, more revenue, hopefully if venture is sucessful, more profits. and it's the function of most all businesses to increase this, for shareholders, for the people in charge, so on. as for the house buying? i don't know about that, but you'd be surprised what other 'big' companies invest in on the side of their main operations - it's expanding their revenue sources, and if they can, they will. it's nothing personal "it's just business"!!!

doesn't mean you have to like it of course, but the security concerns and blue screen errors and high prices for home computing are of course ridiculous as the market dominator. these are legitimate arguments, but if someone hates it simply for their business practices, i believe then they should boycot the whole damn thing.

what i do dislike is hotmail. it's damn evil, i guess i even hate it (but you wont see me changing emails anytime soon).

also, by having prices so high, it is very easy for them to thwart competition, as the high prices have created profits (this is microsoft's "Savings")

because they have so much of these "Savings", if a new competitor enters the market and offers them at a cheap price in an effort to compete against microsoft, MS can just as easily lower or BETTER that price, because they have that collected savings, and having been so succesful for so long, they can sustain this much longer than any smaller competitor, eventually driving the competition out of the game if they were operating on marginal profits (just over break even).

it's not fair, and it's why competition watchdogs are set up. this situation happened with the aviation industry, and is still occuring with discount airlines. it's interesting to watch indeed.
Alseid

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Perhaps the biggest reason I dislike Microsoft (hate is such a strong word) is their insatiable greed. They started out as a software company for computers, but as the company has grown, they've done what they could do to buy out their competition. Then they noticed how profitable to home entertainment sector could be (like the richest company in the world needs even more money) and got involved in the home console market, buying up development houses left and right..

As did Sony back when Nintendo and Sega were the only big companies in the gaming industry. And no one throws that against Sony.

It's only natural for a company to try to grow bigger and reach more market areas, regardless of how rich they already are.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
From my own experience, they operating systems aren't all that great, since there's a 50% chance I will get the Blue Screen of Death when trying to perform a simple function such as shutting down the computer.

50% chance? Wow, either you're extremely unlucky or you really got a bad copy or something. It worked nicely for me 99% of the time to be honest. Very rarely got the blue screen of death.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg, I can't speak for Windows XP as I am running Windows 98 Second Edition. I can't recall any appearances of the blue screen while working on college computers running Windows 2000, though Internet Explorer did have a tendency to force you to go through the setup process at random. I've tried numerous things to eliminate the ocurrences of the blue screen, including defragmenting the hard drive, but it keeps happening. It's a recent problem, as well, so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with any of the Windows Updates which my system sometimes advises me to do... if it was a side-effect, that wouldn't do anything to improve my opinion on Microsoft.

Alseid, I don't think it's right with Sony or Nintendo either. We shouldn't forget that until a couple years ago, Nintendo owned a good chunk of Rare, and when they opted against buying the company outright, Microsoft swooped in and bought them up. We should also remember that it is because of Nintendo that Sony entered into competion with Nintendo with the PlayStation. Companies also jumped over to the PlayStation because of the CD-based nature of the system, while Nintendo stuck with silicon cartridges. Had the Nintendo 64 been a CD-based system, it's possible Final Fantasy VII would have been released as a Nintendo game, and there wouldn't have been a falling out between (then) Squaresoft and Nintendo. It's just my opinion, of course, but Microsoft doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to quality. That's my biggest worry when it comes to a potential Microsoft-monopoly in the home console market.

Of course, there are two sides to the coin, being that if a company doesn't want to be bought out, they don't have to sell.

Schala-Kid, I understand the concept of business growth, but in the video game market, it is more profitable for development houses to get their games on as many of the consoles as they can. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and each have genres which they specialize in. At this point, Microsoft is actually losing money with the Xbox and some stuff I've heard online (I wish I could provide links or sources, but it was quite a while ago) suggest that Microsoft blames the less-than-stellar performance of the Xbox sales wise to being released at least a year later than the PlayStation 2, so they plan to cut the life of the Xbox short and release its successor before Sony can release the PlayStation 3. Personally, I don't think it will make much difference. Sony has an established fanbase which will most likely stick with a PlayStation, and the same person may also get the successor to the Xbox. Microsoft may get better sales, but I don't think they'll overtake Sony in the long run.

I just can't understand how Microsoft, which is supposed to have the best programmers in the world, churns out stuff which is so susceptible to attack. A few years ago, I had been considering upgrading to Windows XP, but the security issues and the whole "product activation" nonsense put an end to that. If you pay such a price for the license, you should be able to install it on any computer you own. My brother had a burned copy (not condoning piracy) and when he went to Microsoft's site to look for a patch, they killed the OS. So that's another reason why I dislike Microsoft, they'll bleed their customers dry for mediocre products and then have a fit when the consumers have had enough and won't hand over their hard earned money?

Like I said, I'm not condoning piracy, but if they would lower prices to a more acceptible level, resist the urge to rush out products which will need patch after patch just to work properly, and cut the product activation crap, I know I'd be more willing to give them a chance. With their bank account, they can afford it but when you're on a tight budget you can't. I have more sympathy to a working person who doesn't make very much than a greedy corporation worth $40 billion plus.

Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to have to agree with the idea about it being popular to hate Microsoft. At least in nerd circles. However, in my experience, Windows seems to do nothing but crash and contract various viruses and the like. When I used Macs this never happened once.

Of course this could all just be a bunch of coincidences, and even if their not, nobody listens to me anyway. :D

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also remarkable how using Macs seems to be considered "hip" as well... That can't be a coincidence.

Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dislike Microsoft, but not enough to say I hate them, nor move to Linux. If I did hate them as much as Elc seems to, I would not be using a Windows based system, though. Indeed, even so I intend on my next computer being a Mac (hopefully). If you really do hate Microsoft, then either change systems or just put up with it, or if you hate all Operating Systems either stop using computers or just create your own OS. I think the issue is similar to Bush-haters, most people are just on the "cool" bandwagon, there are legitimate concerns and reasons for disliking both Bush and Microsoft, but very few people hate them for those reasons or even understand the reasons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Bugg, I can't speak for Windows XP as I am running Windows 98 Second Edition. I can't recall any appearances of the blue screen while working on college computers running Windows 2000, though Internet Explorer did have a tendency to force you to go through the setup process at random. I've tried numerous things to eliminate the ocurrences of the blue screen, including defragmenting the hard drive, but it keeps happening. It's a recent problem, as well, so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with any of the Windows Updates which my system sometimes advises me to do... if it was a side-effect, that wouldn't do anything to improve my opinion on Microsoft.

Well while I now use Windows XP, I used to use Windows 2000, 98, 95, 3.1, which all seem to work nicely most of the time (like 99%). So I guess you're just extremely unlucky, or your computer needs to be upgraded or whatever. I mean, you said it yourself that you never experienced crap while working on college's computers that run on Windows 2000. So at least it showed that Windows 2000 (or your college's computer) wasn't that crap. Might give them a chance or whatnot. I mean, Windows 98 is already 6 years old. And we all know that 6 years is a very long time for technology and computer stuff to advance.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not condoning piracy, but if they would lower prices to a more acceptible level, resist the urge to rush out products which will need patch after patch just to work properly, and cut the product activation crap, I know I'd be more willing to give them a chance

Since we know that it would almost impossible to actually happen, it might be a better choice for you to as soon as possible switch to other OS. Learn Linux or Unix or Mac or whatever and use them instead of Windows. I mean, I would've done it if I have to deal with 50-50 chance of shutting down my computer or facing the blue screen of death. Either you're a very unlucky person, or you're a very patient one. But either way, I can only imagine your pain.

One thing for sure though, you should really change your OS (even if it's to Windows 2000 or XP). It's just unacceptable to have 50% chance of blue screen of death to happen.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A change in my operating system is on my list, though I've been contemplating whether I should keep Windows 98 as well. In another thread (I believe it was the Fable one) it was mentioned Windows 98 is th best for gaming. I don't do a lot of computer gaming, but one option I could do is get a second hard drive and keep Windows 98 on it and use an updated operation system on my main drive.

It may also be possible that the copy of Windows 98 I've got is a bit faulty, as the computer I have now was built entirely new (save the floppy drive) several years ago, and Windows 98 seemed to argue even then. It could use an upgrade, and I'll most likely get a new operating system then.

As for the blue screen of death, I've been lucky and pleased that it hasn't been as prominent lately. *knock on wood*

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: