Suikoden Unique and Illegal Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Newspaper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Suikox Newspaper, Good Idea?
Yes, I would read every issue
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
No, I would not be interested in that
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I'd love to help out!
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 40

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great idea Red, looking forward to the first issue.

I'd love to help out, but not at the moment, way too busy with work at the moment.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I'm pleased with such a heavy positive feedback. There certainly is a huge amount of support, so I don't think we'll ever run dry on it.

One of my concerns is that the articles will be written from a biesed view point, and I want to make clear that this newspaper is supposed to lay out the facts so that both sides of the war are covered equally.

Also, with the excessive amounts of battles that go on per phase, the amount of coverage could get lenght. That is why I think there should be 2 or 3 maximum battles covered per round. If we publish 3 papers per phase that will cover 9 battles/raids or explorations.

Elc wrote:
Has society really gotten so bad that they balk at actually reading a newspaper? It boggles the mind especially when the board is already text-based.

My thoughts exactle, but Ax does raise a point that if this newspaper does place TOO much inf in it, some people would shy from reading it all. Only the top stories would get read and the fun fillers (like Interviews, horoscopes, advertisements etc) would get unread.

I'm already in the process of working on what will be in issue 1. I will contact those who have skills I think can asssist in this and give them what I feel is a good idea of what I want, or speak with them about other things. However, keep the comments and ideas flowing.

If anyone is a cartoonist and has a strip they make (or could start making one) please PM me as I'd like to have a comic strip in an issue here and there.

Not every issue will have the same format. To toss things up I might put Le Fou's Horoscopes (I love that idea) in one issue, and then a Sudoku in that spot the next issue.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc, the issue is not balking at reading a newspaper -- it's about text on a screen, which is handled differently by the eyes than text on paper, and it can get pretty straining to do so.

Axiose : there needs to be a way to separate what's in the Newspaper. I may suggest each member posting their own tidbit of the newspaper, which would mean a new thread for each newspaper.

Since we can't have HTML anchors in posts... Er.. Can we? If we can, it'd solve the issue, I think.
Also, ample use of line-skips OR a larger font size may help as well.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assume it would be collated somehow and Red would edit articles and post it up in it's entirety that also saves someone making an inane post in the middle of newspaper ones. In addition it means we don't get the situation of Elc's post in that there would be no unreadably bad typographical errors from any writers.

Of course Red would probably need to think of a way in which he shares out the potch for contributions. It would be a little unfair if he got it all for himself and his nation.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PF, you raise an important point. Yes, I'm asking those who are contributing to submit it to me and I'll post it up in one large post. The revenues would then be shared by those who contributed. I will divide the potch between the authors of that week's (or whatever time frame) articles. Naturally if one article is longer, it will get a higher share of potch. However I'm asking that each article not be too long or it will make the paper excessively larger than I would like it to be.

I would like this paper to cover more topics than just our Suikoden War. I need someone to be a reporter for real life topics. Perhaps a sports report, or an international news reporter. Maybe a movie reveiw. I'll leave that up to the reporter, but I want some articles to pertain to the populous. Something we can all relate to. Any ideas? Anyone up to the task?

Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally don't think there is really a need for articles about sport and themes from our normal everyday life. Mainly because I read about this in my normal news paper and don't need necessarily another news paper about this. The same goes with sports by the way. The second reason for me is, that I am not particularly interested in sports from the USA or other countries, but I have to admit, that a reportage about the football world championship could be interesting. I personally would prefer to read about twhat is going on on this forum, like a news update for new rules or similiar things.

The Fool
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd perhaps lean towards having a games review rather than movie or anything else I mean that is the one main unifying fact about us all. We are game players and more specifically Suikoden players, an RPG or game review would be more relevant it wouldn't necessarily have to be a new game either - any RPG would do since there are bound to be folks who have never played some of the classics and if you have already played the game in question a little bit of nostalgia can be fun.

Sports, well if you're really into a sport you are going to get your news from another source. We do have a sports sub forum for conversation on the subjects but sometimes I do think it's a little ignored so perhaps a section on whatever big sporting news there is of the week (or whatever other timeframe) and a quick link to the relevant forum would be good for that section of the sites growth too.

Of course you could cover the fantasy sports leagues ran by members on this site too, the football (soccer) which is nearly finished now ended up being quite a tight race to the end. There was also a fantasy american football game during their season too so the options aren't just restricted to the football (soccer) side of things.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I don't really believe that news articles covering real life issues are all that necessary in this kind of a newspaper, though the idea of covering the fantasy sports or games things that sometimes go on in these forums isn't too bad. PF certainly raises a good point about the games reviews as well, its best to stay inside subjects that the majority of the board can relate to; as opposed to a specific sport or local news.

Member interviews, forum happenings, comment box things and maybe even nation/character profiles (like the serials in S5? but for board members). Theres the money. I think it would be advisable in these early stages not to get too ambitious, and try and keep the newspaper quite simple for the time being. (not in terms of quality, but perhaps in depth) I've seen similar projects on other forums, and a lot of the time there can be a huge gap of time in between different issues, due to a number of things, such as having to rely on other members for certain articles (and them being late) or trying to commit to an article, but finding it a chore and therefor it can take a long time to finish.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, if anyone has Indesign or Quark Xpress, you could easily make this into a pdf. And it could have pictures in it and look like a real newspaper. The trouble it'd have to be uploaded somewhere, either by Sars or be hosted on an outside site. Plus you wouldn't get potch from posting, but I'm sure people could be rewarded for it anyway.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would be more than happy to help out with the newspaper! If at all possible, I would like to continue in my current role as the recorder of the Grassland's battles (see "The Grassland" over in Eike's Library for examples).

RedCyrdranth wrote:
Also, with the excessive amounts of battles that go on per phase, the amount of coverage could get lenght. That is why I think there should be 2 or 3 maximum battles covered per round. If we publish 3 papers per phase that will cover 9 battles/raids or explorations.

Actually, perhaps it would be best if the Grassland's battles and whatnot were not included in the newpaper. It would help reduce the clutter in the newspaper, and allow the Grassalanders' own project to continue independently.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... I'm all for it, you may want someone you're more familliar with, but I can definately help out writing up stories for the battles that occur... writing about battles is really my forte.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe you should only do one battle per Issue, spotlight differant nations each time, and get their comments about the battle, and write a dramatized version of the battle.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to shy away from a fafic veiw of the battle, as the author might portray a person within the battle in a light they wish to not be portrayed. Instead I like to see more of a factual sounding report done perhaps interviewing a soldier or a townfolk who witnessed the chaos. I don't want any of the reports made to be biased towards a single nation or veiw, but allow for creativity within the article.

So far I'm organizing the battlewriters, conducting an interview that I feel will be very informative and trying to set up some "second page" material for your enjoyment. The first issue will not be able to be released until Round three of the war game comes out though.

I suppose the idea of a real life article is a bit too much. But maybe I could find someone to do a review of new games or something, since this is a game forum.

Also, I do want to do a "Comment Box" thing. If anyone has something they want said in the paper, either anonymously, or publicly you can PM them to me. If you want it to be anonymous, I promise your anonymity with be with me and I will never release who sais what. Although, if I find it too risqué, it will not get published. Also, if there are too many comments, I'll select the best.

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the idea, Red. I might be a bit AWOL at times this summer, but you let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
I'd like to shy away from a fafic veiw of the battle, as the author might portray a person within the battle in a light they wish to not be portrayed. Instead I like to see more of a factual sounding report done perhaps interviewing a soldier or a townfolk who witnessed the chaos. I don't want any of the reports made to be biased towards a single nation or veiw, but allow for creativity within the article.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted above - I can make it interesting but not biased. Unless its Fly. Because he needs all the torment he can get. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: