Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Analysis of Wars in the Grassland
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Zexen Confederation is young (though not as young as Toran or Dunan, funny how no-one considers them young.), there is nothing to indicate that Vinay del Zexay is as young. As we know that Vinay del Zexay was founded for trade with the western continent, Vinay del Zexay can be possibly dated as far back as ocean-crossing ships existed. Check the Gezel Hyatt thread on this forum for more on that.

1. Do you like to see more articles that delve into historical/geographical elements of Suikoden?

Yes, I would. Maybe into the political aspects too. :P History, geography and politics are all the most fascinating parts of the Suikoden world to me. Magic, fate and all that take a big back seat to it in my eyes.

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

It was smart, intelligently debated and focused on already known facts to reach a logical conclusion. Now, for what I liked...

I disliked the map. It's OOOOLD and low-quality! Of course, when that's all I've got to complain about you know you must have wrote a good article.

3. Did the article change your perception of Grassland history? Why/why not?

Not really, not through any fault of the article but because I've accepted these conclusions myself for quite a while. I doubt I could write as clear an editorial on it however. I'm sure it helped a bunch of other folks however.

Note: I just thought I'd throw this in, even though I doubt it could've been worked into the article. Harmonia don't consider Zexen a soverign nation but consider them another "barbaric Grasslands tribe". This may support the idea that Zexen essentially "dragged themselves up" from the Grasslanders.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where do you see that no one considers Toran and Dunan young...? They're infantile nations, practically.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but people cling to the history of their preceding nations (Scarlet Moon for Toran and Jowston and Highland for Dunan) and essentially assimilate it as Toran amd Dunan Republic history.

Zexen only has the "young nation" stamp on it because it's such a repeated line and also due to a lack of backstory for the nation. If we had information, say, on some other governing power that ruled the area that Zexen managed to overthrow or whatever, people would not stamp the "young nation" tag onto it because they would, without realising it, associate the previous history of the REGION of Zexen with the history of the NATION of Zexen. Just like with Toran and Dunan.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose. I personally consider them new nations, so it never occured to me that others might associate them with their old governments. But the Scarlet Moon Empire was so drastically different than the Toran Republic that it just... they don't mesh in my head. To me, they're a younger nation than I am. As is Dunan. Sure, the culture might be alive for a long time, but that's different from saying the nation has been.

On the other hand, there is some validity to considering the Confederacy young, when talking about culture. There is even someone in Vinay del Zexay who mentions how, because they are a young nation, the Council is having a fit over their lack of culture. A bit of an odd way of putting it, and I'd love to know what the original Japanese was, but it could be lines like that that have fueled the sentiment that you've noticed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: