Suikoden United and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Next Tenkai weapon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Next Tenkai weapon? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, So far it looks like they've managed to avoid the sword so what do you think They'll come up with this time around?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a heavy or possibly surprising weapon, like an axe or a scythe. I'm probably pretty off on that guess but whatever it turns out to be, It won't be a typical weapon. We know that much.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Avoid the sword? Chris, Geddoe, Thomas of III had swords and Lazlo used double swords. But I agree that they will select a non-conventiaonal weapon. I'm rooting for a long range or mid range projectile weapon. Something like Nash's weapon in III. A wrist spring loaded projectile needle launcher was an ingenious weapon.

Other cool weapons could be Sais, Chakrams (Like Sialeeds), whips, ot Katar (similar to Childerich's weapons in V but Katar's are hand held.)

One weapon that has always struck my personal fancy is the Naginata, like Yoshino of II or Sanae Y. of III weild. Its a mid-range weapon that has reach. Its a strong spear like weapon which takes a lot of training to weild properly. That would be a great weapon.

Its not so much the weapon the hero uses that draws me to play the game. But having a unique weapon definitely ups the interest factor. Maybe that is one of the reasons that IV wasn't that great to me, the hero weilded an unoriginal weapon.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe Chris and Geddoe were Tenkai stars.

And yes, I guess I am mistaken about Lazlo and Thomas. I tend to forget that Thomas' wee lil blade isn't an oversized hunting knife and well, I've pretty much been trying to forget about Lazlo's poker face and his lil short shorts. I guess the weapon got lost in the brain mix somewhere at the time. I confuse his weapon with one similar to Rapheal's from the Teenage mutant ninja turtles at times thanks to a crap memory. Don't ask.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Avoid the sword? Chris, Geddoe, Thomas of III had swords and Lazlo used double swords. But I agree that they will select a non-conventiaonal weapon. I'm rooting for a long range or mid range projectile weapon. Something like Nash's weapon in III. A wrist spring loaded projectile needle launcher was an ingenious weapon.

Other cool weapons could be Sais, Chakrams (Like Sialeeds), whips, ot Katar (similar to Childerich's weapons in V but Katar's are hand held.)

One weapon that has always struck my personal fancy is the Naginata, like Yoshino of II or Sanae Y. of III weild. Its a mid-range weapon that has reach. Its a strong spear like weapon which takes a lot of training to weild properly. That would be a great weapon.

Its not so much the weapon the hero uses that draws me to play the game. But having a unique weapon definitely ups the interest factor. Maybe that is one of the reasons that IV wasn't that great to me, the hero weilded an unoriginal weapon.

I like the idea of a long range weapon. Let's say some little kid escapes from the Howling Voice Guild with his gun. Then he runs away to some other country and he's the tenkai. He gets a true rune along the way too. Wow just golden!

How about we have a character that uses Nash's weapon and a shield? ^_^

I don't think there was any Tenkai so far that used a shield?

I'm also a fan of a Katana or a katana like weapon!

How about the legendary GUNBLADE! Let say the Howling Voice Guild had plans to develop a new weapon (a gunblade) and someone from another country stole the blueprints then they started making gunblades!

Or how about a nice and simple handgun.

Last edited by Child of The Sea God on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see the Tenkai having a ranged weapon as it would make the dueling scenes either incredibly stupid or incredibly one sided. If you consider a fight between a swordsman and an archer then you should get the idea. The archer has the obvious advantage at a distance so he would do whatever possible to keep the swordsman away from them. The swordsman would have to constantly advance and be subjected to the archers long range attacks. It just wouldn't feel right to have a Tenkai to avoid confronting an enemy just to snipe away with a long ranged weapon. Most people want their hero to go out and meet the enemy face to face.

As for weapons I don't have a great deal of knowledge with types of ancient weapons. I would like to see some type of polearm being used. The gigantic sword is overused in most of the current games.

I'm not sure if this has been used in the Suikoden series or not but there was a type of polearm developed specifically for use against armored knights in medieval Europe. If I remember correctly it was called a Bill Hook. It has a head that consisted of a combination hook/blade/spear. It was used to either hook the knight and so as to drag him from his horse or the side blade on the weapon, which is perpendicular to the spear portion, could be swung to pierce his armor. If you dragged a knight from his horse you could use either blade or spear depending on which is more convenient. I'm not sure how that compares to a Naginata but I'd assume that they'd be on the same level.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Malt Hitman wrote:
I don't see the Tenkai having a ranged weapon as it would make the dueling scenes either incredibly stupid or incredibly one sided. If you consider a fight between a swordsman and an archer then you should get the idea. The archer has the obvious advantage at a distance so he would do whatever possible to keep the swordsman away from them. The swordsman would have to constantly advance and be subjected to the archers long range attacks. It just wouldn't feel right to have a Tenkai to avoid confronting an enemy just to snipe away with a long ranged weapon. Most people want their hero to go out and meet the enemy face to face.

As for weapons I don't have a great deal of knowledge with types of ancient weapons. I would like to see some type of polearm being used. The gigantic sword is overused in most of the current games.

I'm not sure if this has been used in the Suikoden series or not but there was a type of polearm developed specifically for use against armored knights in medieval Europe. If I remember correctly it was called a Bill Hook. It has a head that consisted of a combination hook/blade/spear. It was used to either hook the knight and so as to drag him from his horse or the side blade on the weapon, which is perpendicular to the spear portion, could be swung to pierce his armor. If you dragged a knight from his horse you could use either blade or spear depending on which is more convenient. I'm not sure how that compares to a Naginata but I'd assume that they'd be on the same level.

Remember in the Suikoden World Melee people > Archers like how in spoiler: Suiko 5 for war your archer units would get killed by the foot soldier units.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I doubt it will be a long-range weapon, considering the other Tenkai have all used close-range weaponry. Long-range doesn't quite fit the Tenkai, because they seem more like get out and do it people, rather than ones who would sit back and fire arrows. And they're too straight-forward to use a hidden throwing weapon.

I think the creators have leaned toward staff-like weapons because Tenkai like Tir and the Prince aren't supposed to be hardcore warriors. I think Thomas used one simply because that's all there was, and Lazlo because he was trained as a knight. Plus they tend to be blunt, so I doubt we'd see a Naginata. Plus, I think they're traditionally considered a girl's weapon? Or maybe that's just because I've never seen a male character with one.

Honestly though, I've got no clue beyond blunt. I never would have predicted whatever the hell the Prince has.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dr. Chaos wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe Chris and Geddoe were Tenkai stars.

No, but they were more main characters and seen in the Tenkai's position moreso than Thomas ever really was. In terms of Tenkai no, they were not, but in terms of the game's main hero, yes they could have been.

I like the idea of a ranged weapon, but not a gun from the Howling Voice Guild. I am thinking more along the lines of a boomerang like Millie had in II or Sialeeds or Sharmista's Chakram. Having a shield as well could be a nifty combination, making for a unique fight. As for the Duels, it can be worked in that a ranged weapon be used. It wouldn't give either participant an advantage if done properly.

And about the Naginata, I've never heard of it being a girl's weapon before. I never thought weapons could be sex-limited. And what would be so wrong if there was a female Tenkai who weilded a Naginata? And the dullness of a weapon depends on the user and the care of the weapon. Besides, you can't get more blunt that a stick and that is what Tir and Prince Dennis essentially used. And Tonfa are just planks of wood. At least the Naginata has a blade of sort.

Child of The Sea God wrote:
How about the legendary GUNBLADE! Let say the Howling Voice Guild had plans to develop a new weapon (a gunblade) and someone from another country stole the blueprints then they started making gunblades!

Sigh, I think not. Firstly, FFVIII fans around the world would scream ripoff and secondly any Suikoden fan who dislikes FFVIII (like myself) will angered to see the ripped off Squaresoft weapon. The gunblade is really a stupid idea. If you have a gun, it makes the blade somewhat obscolete. If the blade does more damage than the gun, then you need a better gun. The last thing I want is a Suikoden Renzokuken. Oh god thats a mouthful.

Perhaps a Tenkai with 2 weapons, like Watari of Suikoden III. He used a dart-like weapon in battle but in his duels versus Ayame he used a sword-like katana. I'm not sure what sort of blade it truly was. Its not an unheard of idea really. If a person truly is the leader of an army, uprising, rebellion or whatever, chances are the people around him will want to protect him, so having a Tenkai who takes a backseat in the physical aspect might be something to explore. Maybe making him a great magician like on par with Zerase or Estella. That hasn't been done either.

Why is it we try to conform to a certain formula? Tenkai MUST fight the frontlines. Tenkai MUST be male. Tenkai MUST weild a melee weapon. Why not explore other options?

Serpent

Self Made Riders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, people seem to think only frontline weapons seem appropriate for a Tenkai. How about the insane idea of having a Tenkai that just recruits and sits in the support section as a Strategist? I really like that thought but I doubt it'll ever happen.
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
No, but they were more main characters and seen in the Tenkai's position moreso than Thomas ever really was

Minimize Thomas' part in the game all you want but once again, neither Chris or Geddoe were Tenkai Stars. That fact still stands. He fulfilled his role as a Tenkai in the end when it was all said and done. You bringing up the fact that they are sword wielders is still totally irrelevant to the point of this discussion. Reply with whatever you want but I don't really think it's worth arguing about two things we both are already well aware of.

And personally, I would take a unique weakling such as Thomas over Geddoe or Chris anyday.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed I liked Thomas more than Chris and Geddoe, but his role as Tenkai was hardly Tenkai-ish. He did not lead the Fire bringer against Luc and you controlled him for only a short period of time. The point I am trying to make is that two of the three major characters in Suikoden III used a sword. This IS in fact relevant because we are talking about what weapon the main chatacter of Suikoden VI should weild.

If the team that does Suikoden VI makes a Tenkai like Thomas where he takes the backseat to other characters in the storyline, THOSE characters are the ones we remember the most. When you think of the heroes of Suikoden, few say Thomas is among them, Tenkai status or not. They most often DO include Geddoe, Chris and Hugo because THEY were the main characters of Suikoden III. Since for 2/3 of the game if you chose Geddoe or Chris as the Flame Champion, your hero weilds a sword.

All of this is irrelevant though because we both agree that a sword is not the best option for the main character of Suikoden VI to weild. If the Tenkai is a weasel named Ed that never fights but you control a sword weilding character for the majority of the game, I'll feel they shafted us on a good weapon for the main character.

Serpent, that would be cool, but it would distance us from the main character's development. Unless it was done REALLY well, that will not be happening.

The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What if the Tenkai was a martial artist (as in, using his fists/legs)? He could just use those glove-type things (ya know, the excuse to be able to sharpen your weapon?). He could even use his true rune to boost up his martial arts, use chi attacks, etc.

Self Made Riders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sort of off topic but what kind of weapon did the hero McDohl from Suikoden I use for battle?
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tir McDohl used some kind of staff-like wepon, but I don't remeber what it's called.

The next Tenkai should have something different from the previous series. I like Chizen's suggestion that the next Tenkai should use his fists as a weapon. Maybe he can have either brass knuckles or a claw-like weapon to use.

It could also be incorporated into a duel easily, kinda like marital arts, or when facing a swordsman he could dodge a sword slash and go in for a hit.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yes, people seem to think only frontline weapons seem appropriate for a Tenkai. How about the insane idea of having a Tenkai that just recruits and sits in the support section as a Strategist? I really like that thought but I doubt it'll ever happen.

actually, three of the tenkais have used medium range weapons, while two were short-tir (staff), riou (tonfar) and the prince (tri-nunchukar) are all medium, while lazlo (double short swords) and hugo (blade weapon), geddoe (broadsword) and chris (longsword) were all short range.

the choice of weapon will most likely be a medium again, simply because it allows for the tenkai to have more versatility as far as slotting goes. rather than limit him to a short range weapon, they can have him as back or front row, allowing for a greater choice of party members, rather than limit him to the front, plus two more short range and three of long/medium mix as per player preference.

i'd like to see a naginata myself as a different angle on the 'staff' style weapon; barring that, sais and a whip are my next choices. i don't see a long range weapon tenkai as a strong possibilty, but they may surprise us with something different. if that were to happen, i'm for twin chakrams; i liked sialeeds' sun chakrams for some odd reason over the standard throwing weapon, because, even in sigurd's hands, knives are BORING and PREDICTABLE.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: