Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

This game is really boring so far.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: This game is really boring so far..... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey,

Just bought the game and haven't played in a couple of days. Many reviewers say that the game has a very slow start and will eventually pick up.

Story-wise and fighting-wise it's boring so far. How many hours into the game does the story pick up?

Also, as for the fighting system, I really preferred Suikoden III's "tacticalness", making the fights look more realistic, and forcing you to revise your strategy multiple times during a fight. Suikoden IV's system is very much like every other RPG though. It's not necessarily bad, it's just boring(the fighting anyways).
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be very helpfull if you said where in the game you are, but I'll try to feild the Question none the less. The game Will pick up once you get back from Stormfist. I enjoyed it before that, but I will admit it was slow. Depending on your playstyle, I'd say about 8-12 hours in. Once you get there, you hit the first time the stuff hits the fan. It should pick up in anyone's opinion at that point.

The fighting will likley remain relativley easy for you throught the game.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hours depends on how you're playing - rushing through, taking time, etc.

Where are you at in the story?

I personally liked it the whole way through, but there's a lot of character/plot building early on, yeah. I think things will pick up some [spoilers]after the Sacred Games, when you return to Sol Falena[/spoilers], and even more so [spoilers]after you finally leave Raftfleet[/spoiler].

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a Suikoden game so I'm pretty confident that the story wil eventually pick up. What I'm worried about the most is the battle system.

It feels too much like a Final Fantasy game, again, this isn't a bad thing. I just really loved how Suikoden III's system forces you to re-strategize because your characters are scattered about the battle field. It made all fights interesting and entertaining.

Doesn't anyone agree with me on that point, atleast?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked changing tactics a lot. I find that fun. And I love, love, triple-super-duper-deelightful-love the new effects on S-M-L ranges, which actually matter for M-class fighters now!

And ten people parties? LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am spoiled now; I don't want anything less.

I liked S3's a lot, but I liked aspects of most of the Suikoden's systems. The only thing that kind of makes me sad is they didn't continue in Suikoden V is "learning" the unites the way you did in Suikoden IV, and I thought that was rather cool - it gave me reason to try out new characters I might have waited to try out. I really wish they kept that.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

like all suikoden games the begining is always slow. after a certain point mainly when you get your headquarters, that is when it picks up.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree that Suikoden V's battles are boring. Once you start finding different tactics, you'll see how much strategy is involved switching from an offensive formation to a defensive one. Each formation has it's own skill as well, and sometimes that skill can be a devastating attack. "Striking Arrow" is one of my favorite tactics for this reason.

I don't see how you can say the battles are boring compared to the other games because Suikodens 1, 2, and 4 were all pretty much the same thing as 5. 5 just allowed you to line up in different ways.

And for the record, I thought the battles in Suikoden 3 took too long because of all the running around involved. And I HATED how some of my spells damaged my own people. Yeah, it involved strategy in the sense that you had to be careful when and where you unleashed a spell, but I wouldn't say it had more or less strategy than 5's battle system. At some point, all you do is hit "Auto". That pretty much goes for every Suikoden game... except Tactics.

I think you just need to play more of the game to get a better feel for it.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Boring at the start??? Not at all!!

I found the start of the game a great introduction and build up to the main plot, then when the story really took off i was hooked!
Jon-Tom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I completely agree. Without that very thorough, informative intro, the rest of the story would lose a lot of the emotional impact that makes this such a great game. Personally, I loved walking around, talking to NPCs, learning the history of the land, and getting the general "feel" of the game. I wish more RPGs would include this type of well thought out beginning .

I didn't find it slow at all, however this may be because I read a lot. Novels by authors like L E Modesitt, sometimes have "intros" that can last from 50-100 pages. I guess I'm used to it.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, my cosin thought the same thing. Though, am forcing him to be a suikofan, he played Kingdom Hearts II first. I hope I'm not losing him to the evil Square 666 company...

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't find it slow at all, but perhaps thats because I enjoy the story of an RPG, and especially Suikoden in general. That's one of the big things that hooked me into the series

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm on my second time through the game. The story is a little slow at the beginning, but that's in part, I'm guessing, to getting the player acclimated to the mechanics of the game. The game really picks up after a certain point, and once that happens, you're on a rollercoaster ride that there's no way you'd want to get off of.

I'm not entirely a big fan of picking just the two skills to equip - I like having all of your skills being graded and their grades [good, bad, or indifferent] affecting your character. Outside of that, III's system was easier to master, but V makes the game more enjoyable and gives you a reason to run around for an hour or so to lvl your characters.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't quite as much of a fan of Suikoden III's battle system as the one in Suikoden V, because like Nutflush, I hate having spells damage my own party. I'm alright with the Pale Gate Rune doing it, but it really made the True Fire Rune kinda lame to have it give you these huge, powerful, area of effect spells, which would kill your own party as well as the enemies. It really put even more emphasis on the power of the Lightning, Thunder, and True Lightning Runes. Also, the two-man units or whatever, where you couldn't give specific orders to both of them in the same turn, somewhat bothered me.

In Suikoden V, the battle system is much like that of any other RPG, especially previous Suikodens, it's true. However, I think that it still has a good deal more to it than your typical (that is, prior to X-2) Final Fantasy battle system. The formations add a whole new dimension to the gameplay that wasn't there in previous games. In truth, I found Suikoden [i]IV[/i to be depressingly Final Fantasy-esque in its battle mechanics, whereas Suikoden V is a refreshing step in the right direction. I'm certainly not claiming that the system is without flaws, once you've got everything set up right, you can just hit Auto and win every time...

But to me having your characters maintain a combat formation makes a bit more sense, tactically, than having them running about randomly like in Suikoden III. If spells only affect a certain radius, then keeping together so that healing can be distributed, and so that you're out of harm's way when your mage casts his Rage Rune, makes a great deal of sense.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure, it took a little while for the game to get into full tilt, but I wouldn't say I found it boring at the start or anything. I've actually enjoyed the plot for this game the whole way through. Usually there's a chunk somewhere that I just dread playing but I can't really think of anything to be honest. As per usual, in any suikoden game, things pick up quite a bit once you establish a stronghold of some sort.

I really like the battles in Suikoden V though. Sure every system has it's flaws and I can easily set my team on auto and be okay for the most part, but that's because I planned out my characters too. The option to play with different battle aspects heightens it though. Really, nothing seems more FFlike than the suikoden IV battle system... basic stuff, all lined up , only four characters, they hit and return to the previous position.. just all of those things added together, why hello FF. Bite me Suikoden IV, Suikoden V rocks it! The two skills only concept is growing on me though, I will admit :)

-My DeviantArt-
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoy playing it slowly...dun wanna miss all e details...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: