Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Developers for Suikoden VI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Developers for Suikoden VI? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a couple of questions that pertain to Suikoden VI. My first question is who was in charge of developing Suikoden V? I do know that Suikoden IV was made with Junko Kawano (I think that's her name) with some team of developers and whatnot. I forgot who was in charge of Suikoden V, but I do remeber a company called Hudson involved with Suikoden V and that there were a few artists that did the characters in SuikoV.

Now here's my other question.
Should Konami give the same people who were responsible for SuikoIV(the worst installment in the series and below-average by RPG standards) another chance and let them develop SuikoVI?
Or should the same people who helped develop SuikoV(ON par with SuikoII for being best in the series) be in charge of Suikoden VI?
Or should a brand new team be in charge of Suikoden VI?

I honestly hope to god that Konami keeps Kawanko away for making a game for Suikoden. I know that alot of people were turned off after SuikoIV came out and I don't want to see that happen after such a good game like Suiko V.

If I'm totally wrong about who developed SuikoIV and V then correct me. Thanks.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree. I really do NOT the peopel who IV to Make another game. I mean, I myself blame some of it's sub-parness on being so distant from the rest of the series. Though, that dosen't forgive IV's team in my eyes either. The designs all felt bland and boring, Characters all seemed uninspired and boring...

Whereas V was pretty much the exact oppisite for me. I'd love to see the team from V continue to work on the series for a good long while. Loved just about everything about Suikoden V, so I'll just hope we at least keep the same writer and Director that V used. Artwise...eh, If they change, I suppose that I won't mind, though I did rather enjoy V's art.

So yeah. Please let Konamo keep the team that V had.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is my understanding that, from reading other people's posts on Suikox so I can't back this up with cold facts, that Kawano is in charge of Suikoden VI and that it iss most likely already underway in terms of creation.

Hudson was involved with Suikoden V and I was rather shocked by this because I did not know this until I watched the credits roll after I beat Suikoden V. In my experience Hudson has made quality games and has always been a great company. They are the team behind the entire Bobmerman series and the old Adventure Island series of the NES.

Perhaps Kawano can look at the success of Suikoden V and take a few pages from that book when she (you said Kawano a girl? I never knew that.) designs Suikoden VI. Also, Konami has the obligation to us, its customers, to try and deliver the best game possible, so that we buy it, and tell others of its greatness so they in turn make more money, which in turn goes towards the production of more Suikoden games :)

Suikoden IV could have been a great game if they did what Suikoden V did and gave even the most minute characters more history, charisma and importance. I actually enjoyed the story of IV, but it lacked the development that the rest of the series had. Also they need a better graphics team because the colors just looked so faded and overall ugly. Also there wasn't much variation in storyline. I liked how in V if you brought Belcoot or Richard to the Childerich fight you could have one of them duel him instead. Or certain scenes could be triggered with certain characters in your party.

If I were Konami, I'd give Kawano a second chance because there IS potential, it just needs to be fine tuned. Perhaps the idea is that they will combine the efforts of both teams from IV and V to make VI.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, I think the Suikoden V team really did do an amazing job. I'm all for second chances-- but with a series like Suikoden if there is another sub-par release that doesn't generate money, who knows if we'll get another game? The one person I really hope they keep for the next game is the scenario writer.

I personally don't see the need to combine the efforts of Suikoden IV, and V to create VI, because Suikoden V did every thing better then IV. In fact Suikoden V was one of the best games in the series (in my opinion), so Konami is really making a mistake not keeping the same team.

It's difficult to say weather they should take a risk with Suikoden VI-- in my opinion, they're in no position to risk it though. Series sales are pretty low as it is...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps there will be another team altogether, a mix of people who worked on 3, 4 & 5. I don't see why Konami would keep a "Suikoden 4 team" and "Suikoden 5" team, not after the games are finished and released.

The reason why they split the series' development into different teams was to release them sooner, wasn't it? That's why there's so little time in-between 4, Tactics and 5. But now, why wouldn't they have all the Suikoden staff working in the PS3 Suikoden?

I think that would be best... To keep the best of those two teams. Contrary to what haters sprout off endlessly, S4 did some things right, I'd say better than S5 even.
Furthersome, making a PS3 game would require more staff, being a more complex system and having a lot of new graphical resources to work out.

Anyways, I have hope thanks to S5 now. Whatever you do, Konami, keep mainly the staff of that game for the next! (Konami spies this forum, isn't it?)
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV's general lack of quality was the result of a few easily fixable, hopefully one-time flaws:

1) Horrible travel system. The boat was hideously slow, and the random encounter rate was absurd. Still, this is easily fixable, and it's not as though it's some chronic deficiency plaguing the series.

2) Konami's desire to make random battles shorter. Not a bad goal in and of itself, but cutting the size of the party and making spell animations that last half of a second isn't the way to go. Again, easily fixable, and we know the Suikoden staff can do it. They've done it before.

3) Lack of character development. This has always been a staple of the Suikoden series, but far too many Suikoden IV characters were two-dimensional pieces of cardboard. Still, we know Konami can do this right; just look at all the other Suikodens.

I'm sure there were more, but really, there's nothing wrong with Suikoden that can't be fixed by what's right with Suikoden and some tweaks to the system.

So, that brings us to the teams. I agree with Hrestelan: a big development team involving the whole Suikoden staff sounds good, to ensure that Suikoden has a strong premiere on the next console.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as Kawano hires a new scenario writer (preferably the one who worked on V) for her next project, I'm not too worried about the rest. It's not like there are many sea-based nations to worry about travelling, and your second point? That wasn't Konami's desire per se. It was their answer to those who complained about Suikoden III's battles being "too long, too complicated, too much".

More importantly, if this woman is back for the next game, then what is Fumi Ishikawa doing? She has been away for three consecutive games now. And OZ sure was a major success that they decided not to have a NA release?
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it was stated in the article with Kawano that she was looking at some new people in Konami that had fresh ideas. I hope this applies to the scenario writer. I don't mind if Kawano is in charge of production or even directing I just hope she doesn't write the story. I wasn't impressed with IV and tactics story wise. :(
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to see Murayama come back and head up all available Suiko staff for a huge Suikoden VI, maybe using the concept azzy mentioned in the "New Concept" topic. Such a project would create a huge draw just from Murayama's name being on the product alone, not to mention the sheer potential scope of such a game.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to see Murayama come back too, especially since I've heard that he had'nt had much success after leaving Konami. I'd doubt he'd come back to the Suiko sereis though, but it does'nt hurt to consider that a comeback is possible.

What i'm hoping for (and I just thought this up now) is that since SuikoVI is going to be on the PS3, then Konami should devote expreinced developers, writers, and artists to this installment. I'm guessing that this installment is going to be someone around or a little after the PS3's launch and having a great game debut on a new system is very important. I hope Konami will do the right thing and have a mix of new and old staff (from SuikoIII,IV,and V) work on SuikoVI if possible.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If he comes back, maybe we would get a Suikoden version of FPS. Murayama is a genius with that kind of games.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden... FPS... No. I do not want to control an HGV member sniping things, that is NOT Suikoden. No No No. If they ever did that to Suikoden, I'd lose faith that anyone at Konami has a brain, or even a clump of brain cells. That has got to be the stupidest move they can do. Seriously.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Suikoden... FPS... No. I do not want to control an HGV member sniping things, that is NOT Suikoden. No No No. If they ever did that to Suikoden, I'd lose faith that anyone at Konami has a brain, or even a clump of brain cells. That has got to be the stupidest move they can do. Seriously.

I agree to that. It would be stupid to develop somethign like that and sell it as a suikoden... I am absolutely satisfied with suikoden 5's atmosphere, characters, music, story and i hope the team that developed it will be in charge of the next suiko too
The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I understood it: the past three Suikoden games (III, IV, V) had all began development around the same time. My guess is that as soon as one of these teams finishes they begin a new game.
So... Suikoden VI - The III team/ The former Murayama team.
Suikoden VII - The IV team/ The Kawano team.
Suikoden VIII - The V team/ The Tsugawa team.
This would ensure that a new game would come out every year or two.
It's possible that this was Murayama's dispute with Konami, since he wouldn't get to work on each game individually.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm playing IV right now - I'm pretty far in the game - and I must say that yes, this is the worst Suikoden so far, but it's not awful. In fact, a lot of its shortcomings do "help" to place it 150 years before Suikoden I.

Yes, I know it sounds bizarre, but the team deliberately forgot a lot of innovations III brought, battles, skills, even the possibility to manage / equip the entire star list via the HQ shops.... These are undeniably flaws, but they are also what make this game a proper Suikoden prequel, instead of a "Suikoden III full-fledged sequel which happens to be set before suiko I".

Anyway, nothing of this can change the fact that the story is rather uninteresting. So yeah, I hope the "Hudson" team will reamin in the series. I haven't played Suiko V yet, but I'm quite excited reading Blue Moon's review.

However, what I really wanted to reply on this topic is: perhaps they could manage the double team by splitting the timeline: ie Kawano could do Suikodens that are set in southern countries and years before the Toran Republic. (this, if truly well done, would recapture the original's feeling).

While the King / Hudson team could focus on later periods... Since I heard they are good with complex plots, they could give us an insight on Harmonia and such... That would be awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: