Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Prince And Roy Difference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Prince And Roy Difference Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

when you first meet up with roy, boz and dinn say they looked identical. even sialeeds couldn't really tell them apart, but lyon was able to. but really how dumb was this. they didn't make them identical since roy is suppose to be the prince's double. the prince's eyes are blue and roy's eyes were yellow. surprised they didn't tell them apart just based on their eyes. any one else notice that besides me.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the eyes are really off, but I suppose that Boz, Dinn, and the people of Sable didn't notice it. Sialeeds should have been able to, though; after all, she is the Prince's aunt. You would think that she would know her own nephew's eye color.
siefer

6933 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the main reason why they have different eye colors is to help differentiate them to the player. It also establishes Roy as a different character from the prince.

I mean, it would be pretty logical if anyone who has known the prince for a long time (Sialeeds/Lyon/etc.) could identify Roy from the Prince (close-up) just by eye color, so if he's able to fool even Sialeeds, it's possible that they do in fact have the same eye color.

It could be the case that they do have different eye colors though, and Sialeeds was only really fooled from a distance.

~Siefer
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's funny that even Miakis couldn't even tell the difference(I wonder what would have happend if Lyon wasn't in the bath scene? :0 )

Lyon mentions about Roy's face being vulger or something. Maybe she ment that he has hard skin?

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no roy had a vulgar looked on his face. like a mean type looking. you can easily see it when you first meet roy in his roy and by the way he talks.

Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, who notices the color of people's eyes? I don't know what color my mother's eyes are... or anyone else I know. Hell ... what color are my eyes?

Most of the people in question who couldn't recognize a difference JUST MET the prince too. It shouldn't be amazing that they don't recognize a difference even if it's not so subtle. I'm sure the prince's eyes, should he be real, would've been more proportionate to a human being and not so large, colorful, and alien like as well.

Lyon knew because she loves the Prince, I thought that was obvious. 8 ) actually she just loves me

And don't give me "Sialeeds loved him too" because Sialeeds was a selfish little skank who can't see the color of someone's eyes or anything else because her hair is in the way.

I don't really think that you should consider yourself so perceptive or that the characters are so stupid for not noticing. Rather take in the information that they should be identical and realize that Konami would rather not confuse you, the player, as to who is who. That's all it is.

6933 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
Honestly, who notices the color of people's eyes? I don't know what color my mother's eyes are... or anyone else I know. Hell ... what color are my eyes?

Most of the people in question who couldn't recognize a difference JUST MET the prince too. It shouldn't be amazing that they don't recognize a difference even if it's not so subtle. I'm sure the prince's eyes, should he be real, would've been more proportionate to a human being and not so large, colorful, and alien like as well.

Lyon knew because she loves the Prince, I thought that was obvious. 8 ) actually she just loves me

And don't give me "Sialeeds loved him too" because Sialeeds was a selfish little skank who can't see the color of someone's eyes or anything else because her hair is in the way.

I don't really think that you should consider yourself so perceptive or that the characters are so stupid for not noticing. Rather take in the information that they should be identical and realize that Konami would rather not confuse you, the player, as to who is who. That's all it is.

Actually, the first thing that most people notice when they meet someone for the first time is their eyes. I know what the color my own eyes are, and to be frank, I'd be rather alarmed if I didn't considering how often you need to state it in forms of identification in your life.

Also, Sialeed's motives were hardly anything but selfish, if anything she was simply a less decesive , but more complex, Marscal Godwin. Gizel Godwin on the other hand is a little more complicated in nature and intent.

~Siefer
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mm...when you think about it, even identical twins are possible to tell apart, but only once you know them well enough to see the differences. The same thing is true of impersonations that are done so well as Roy's impersonation of the Prince. Although Roy's eyes are a different colour, for many people the eyes are far from the first thing they notice when they look at someone.

I imagine Sialeeds is one of those people.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Her hair is ridiculous.

Quote:
Lyon knew because she loves the Prince, I thought that was obvious.

And even if it wasn't, she spends every waking hour with him, which would make it pretty hard for her to miss subtle differences between the Prince and Roy anyway. Also, I doubt she would admit to not being able to tell the difference even if she couldn't, after all, there's a certain amount of professional pride involved with being a a bodyguard to a member of the royal family, especially one that you're in love with.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:

sure she does ;) :p

Quote:
Mm...when you think about it, even identical twins are possible to tell apart, but only once you know them well enough to see the differences.

that's very true. back in highschool i knew two girl twins and when i was first getting to know them they were hard to tell apart. but after getting to know them i can easily tell them apart while teachers and other people couldn't. i found it out since it was very easy and couldn't see why they couldn't.

Quote:
The same thing is true of impersonations that are done so well as Roy's impersonation of the Prince

wonder if chiasto could impersonate the prince since she's good at impersonating other people's voices.

Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Miakis, in the comment box wrote:
His eyes are a little different, but there really is a resemblance. He'll never fool me or the Princess, though!

Apparently, they can notice.

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm impressed with Roy's speech when you meet him in his room. He was talking about how life was so hard for him even though he looked a lot like the Prince and he felt that he deserved the same benefits the Prince had because he's the perfect body double for him. :P I suddenly recalled that scene. :D :D

I expected the imposter to be a lot like the imposter in Suikoden II, who looks totally different from Riou. But I was slightly shocked with Suikoden V's Roy, because he's the perfect imposter to destroy the Prince's image. Good job Konami. :D

Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of Roy, didn't anyone noticed that his name rymes with someone who shares his star..... Hoi...

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh right that's why he got an Earth star instead of a Heaven star.... Gotta lay off the "bad stuff."
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, most of the time when RPG's have some sort of imposter, they look extremely different than the person they are posing. It was a nice change to have Roy look practically like the Prince.

I don't know how much emphasis to put on the eyes. As someone already mentioned, I really believe that the eye color was there as a gameplay aspect for players to be able to tell them apart. I say this only because the in-game portrait of Roy (as the prince) has the same color as the Prince's in-game portrait. Miakis says that the eyes are different, but I believe she isn't really referring to eye-color per se. There's probably some distinction in the eyes that only Miakis, Lyon and Lymsleia can distinguish. Regardless, Roy is the first true imposter I've seen in a game. *I must not play many games, it seems*

*Off the Topic Story* A friend of mine got Suikoden 5 late, but he saw me play through the Roy arc. Because of this, he named his character Marth. For those who don't know, Marth and Roy are names of characters in the series Fire Emblem. Marth was even a prince in that game. The two characters were popularized in Smash Brothers Melee as pickable characters who have very similar move sets.

The next time the guys hung out, my friend was conveniently playing through the Ranro Mountain event. When he got to the duel sequence, we all roared with cheers seeing the "Marth vs. Roy" fight. My pal dragged out the duel as long as possible showing almost every animation on purpose. The non-Suikoden fans were yelling for both characters screaming out stuff like "Counter" "Fire Blade" and enough "wave dash". We should have videotaped it . . . oh well.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drats, you beat me to it, Ced. I was going to mention the portraits. Yeah, if you look closer at the portraits, it seems both the Prince and Roy have brown eyes, yet for some reason the animated Prince has blue eyes and they gave Roy the freaky alien yellow eyes. It's really a gameplay distinction that is obvious to us to make the game easier to play through.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: