Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Language controversity *spoiler*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Language controversity *spoiler* Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is kinda funny,I think Konami has a love for German culture/history etc

First of all the 3 Germans character names:Mueller,Wilhelm and Ernst.

And here the contoversity:

Catharis weapon(default) is named "Rotkäppchen" which is translated "little red riding hood".WHich is written with the vocal "ä".Isabels weapon "Zweihander" is not written with "ä" then atleast in German normally it would be "Zweihänder".

PS:In Suikoden Tactics:

I though of Heinz somehow as a Nazi dont blame me for bringing this up.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Language controversity *spoiler* Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chiepoo wrote:
I though of Heinz somehow as a Nazi dont blame me for bringing this up.

Sure I will. It's entirely your fault for bringing it up.

Regarding the original point, Suikoden takes influence from all sorts of langauges and cultures including Egyptian and Norse culture. It also draws on the works of HP Lovecraft for some weapons (Alhazred), Soviet-era military for others, Arabian literature, muscial terms, European heraldic fokelore and so on, so forth.

As for your controversy, it's just a damn typo.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zweihander, while derived from the German word Zweihänder, has established itself in the English language as a loan word, and so it is correct to write it without the umlaut.

And there are far more German names in Suikoden V than those three, like Mathias, Zweig or Georg (even though it is pronounced as "George" in the English version). German names for characters, locations and (especially) weapons have always been very common in Suikoden games, most prominently the weapons of Zexen Knights and Howling Voice Guild members. Often the transcription from the Japanese original doesn't work well, though, since the translaters have no idea of German (so Leo's weapon is called Schutoszahn instead of Stoßzahn etc.).

Suikoden uses a large variety of languages for its names, and German is the most common source (besides Japanese and English), closely followed by French.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They should try some Portuguese and Russian, one of these days. :D

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
They should try some Portuguese and Russian, one of these days.

Nabokov (the Suikoden IV appraiser) has a Russian name for example.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, but I rarely remember Suiko IV, essencially character names (excluding the most important ones). Also, there's one or two more that I seem to recall with Russian names.
But still, no Portuguese ones :( Come on Konami! We deserve, at least, one truly Portuguese name! (because they could argue that Hugo is a Portuguese name, but it's not Portuguese original)

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the info John and Iscalio
rakashu

Divinity

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to see some indian or arabic names, I find those cultures to be very interesting and normally have to do with great storys involving politics, death, backstabbing etc. All what a good suikoden game is all about? =D

I mean, we've had the Native American theme, the oceanic theme, the imperial theme, and the japanese theme.

Perhaps next time it will be a arabian theme of some sort?
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camille and Rachel((had the same weapon)) was based on Norse mythology
Masrume(can't spell this one)) the one Futch and I believe Flik had this one.
Flare and Lino both had their weapons named after eygptian gods and thats all i can tell apart.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11326166 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Belcoot's name comes from Russian as well (although it should be Bercoot).
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah and his weapon names are derived from Soviet-era artillery. One of the more unusual influences, I think.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Dura Sinai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Belcoot's name comes from Russian as well (although it should be Bercoot).

Heh, gotta love the japanese handling of l's and r's.

Seriously though, romanizing foreign words from japanese katakana to roman characters is amazingly tricky. Quite simply it has a different set of sylables compared to some others and the approximations don't always translate back as easily.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't most of the Zexen knights have weapons with German names? I remember Borus having Ein, Zwei, Drei and Percival having some really long German sword name that sounded like clearing your throat (as all good German words SHOULD).

Not that it's bad. I endorse German weapon names, because German is just a good-sounding weapon language. Sounds angry.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the german language sounds good for these things, like Stampede said, but I have to admit, that I missed some names, because they're german for their pronunciation not for their actual spelling. That gave me a hard time and some names I only recognised as I read especially about them. That's strange, because I am a native German.

The Fool
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rakashu wrote:
I'd like to see some indian or arabic names, I find those cultures to be very interesting and normally have to do with great storys involving politics, death, backstabbing etc. All what a good suikoden game is all about? =D

I mean, we've had the Native American theme, the oceanic theme, the imperial theme, and the japanese theme.

Perhaps next time it will be a arabian theme of some sort?

Murad is a Arabic name i guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: