Suikoden United and Irenic Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

True rune brothers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: True rune brothers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hello happy forum visitors, do any of you know if there are "any other True Rune like things in other games/stories./ect"?

I ask, in case I ever become a writer, I had a long time ago my "own magic stones" At the time I watched DICs horrid rendition of Sailor Moon and played my copy of Suikoden 1, (one stone was made by somone else though, but it was a split stone of ballance, easy to re-work and re-create as my own)

anway my stones are a "little weak" and "Lack some substance" there are 17 of them, most are "patrons of their magic type" non govren anything and some are preety stupid, like only being able to revive "good/clean/sin-less" people or "make you float/fly"

but there is one, one who is close to me, this one has absolutly nothing written about it, its said to be extreamly powerfull and many have been killed over it. Its name is "eye of the beholder" and its "a black opal".

another "omipotent" stone is an imortality one, a prismatic crystal. It just makes the owner immortal and invinciable(invisable is not seeing)

I want to make my stones special, but without blatenly ripping off the True Runes, this is where my question comes in, is there any "influance" from an outside source? I want my "wind stone" to do more than give the bearer "immedite mastery of wind-magic, ablity to master song/instruments and gain psycic ablites"

where is my sailor Moon tie in? all stones merge togher forming somthing very special and powerfull, I'll laugh if the TRs do that.

so here is our discussion! "are there any other true rune like magic stones in other places, in myths, religion, games, anime, manga, anything published"
(I need real sources, not "my little cousin Fredrika has some magic stones, they dubble as animal gods too")

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The things i knew is the rune in norse myth.
It's not like magic stones, I guess it's some kind of writings.
It's said that Odin sacrifice his eye to drink water from Mymir's well so that he can understand the rune.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't that show InuYasha have crystals that gave great power or something like that? I don't watch it that often (It's before Detective Conan, which I MUST watch), but I know that some people here are crazy about the show, they must know for sure.

BUT, I am sure that they were crystals that gave great power to their wielders.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

usually, with stories about magic stones or crystals is that they have a gigantic impact on the realm.

An example that comes to mind is Final Fantasy V. You had to protect those stones/altars/whatevers of Fire Wind Water and Earth. If the Water is destroyed then there'll be no currents running through the enitre world.

I believe the Dragon Rune in the Suikoworld makes a huge impact. It allows the dragons to exist in this world, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schala wrote:
The things i knew is the rune in norse myth.
It's not like magic stones, I guess it's some kind of writings.
It's said that Odin sacrifice his eye to drink water from Mymir's well so that he can understand the rune.

I might be wrong, I`m no expert on Norse mythology, but I think that`s a little incorrect. The way I learned it, Odin gained vast knowledge by drinking from Mimir`s well, not the ability to read runes.

The rune alphabet was used here in Norway during the Viking period(roughly 700-1000 AD) and during the early Middle Ages. It is called "Futhark", after the first characters.

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a proof, but it's only from a book.
"Odin drink from Mimir's well to understand the language of the rune"
I got the info from the book "Edda" by Snorri Sturrlusson (sorry if the spelling's wrong)

He said that if the rune could be understood by any being, it can give him superb knowledges.
By that I conclude that he got the knowledge to read the rune from Mimir's well, and from the rune he got the superb knowledge.
Anyway, it's just my oppinion. I leave it to someone with more knowledge of Norse myth, someone like Falcon Critical to answer it.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A fantastic source of all things mythological is

http://www.pantheon.org/mythica.html

It will contain alot of information there.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: