Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SuikoV is a downgrade graphically from Suiko IV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gino23

Longbow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: SuikoV is a downgrade graphically from Suiko IV? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who else thinks that SuikoV is a downgrade graphically from Suiko IV and III?

This is only a graphical issue. Please no discussion about anything else except for the graphics and interface.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not much of a critic on graphics, but I think SuikoV has better graphics than SuikoIV, but is more blander than SuikoIII.

Suiko IV had really bland and dreary graphics. THe towns were dull and the characters were even duller. IN SuikoV the characters are more colorful and vibrant. Also the towns are much more culturized and unique. Also the facial expressions in SuikoV are some of the best I've ever seen in a PS2 RPG.

However the game kind of suffers from a bland color palette. The settings are nice, but the colors are still a little too washed out for my tastes.

SuikoIII's graphics while more awkward (it looked like skies of Arcadia a little bit) it had much more color too it. I did'nt like the blocky heads that the characters had, but even then there were slight facial expression that was absent in Suiko IV.

So I think the graphics in SuikoV (which is probably the best in the series) are better than SuikoIV, but are washed out compared to SuikoIII.

Last edited by Blazing Camp on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Gino23

Longbow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah III had the best imo, but V's is much more crisp, but blander. THough facial and character models are top notch.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Suikoden V's are better, but the camera is farther out, so there's less detail seen. But the character models are pretty outstanding (and varied! Not everyone has the same weapon, height, weight, tc.) and the animation is gorgeous. All the cut scenes look really good, IMO - even better than Suikoden III's.

The one problem is the stupid camera, which is so zoomed out all the time. I kind of wish they'd kept Suikoden III's camera.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maddoc

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only thing I have to say on Suikoden IV's graphics is this...

In-game, Lazlo had a babyhead. That's the only thing I can think of when I see the character. Adolescent body... with a fat babyhead.
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally think that Suikoden V have the best graphic amongs the series...But as for camera angle...I like III better, especially u r casting rune magic in the battle...
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
The one problem is the stupid camera, which is so zoomed out all the time. I kind of wish they'd kept Suikoden III's camera.

R1 and R2 hon. Zoom in and out, it make things a lot better. Often when you're camera is blocked zoom in and it goes through the blockage.

Anyhow, I thing the graphics for this game were a step up frok IV's by a longshot. I hated the always trailing behind the hero perspective of IV. III's graphics of towns were better but the people looked more... stocky? Yake Viki for instance, compare Suikoden III's Viki to Suikoden V's. V's Viki looks more humanly proportionate and realistic. Albeit III's was a more cartoony style and it definitely worked fine and didn't hinder the game any, I still prefer V's. I agree with Blazing Camp on the fact that IV's graphics were bleary. Thats a great word for it. There wasn't a crispness to the graphics that III and V had. I actually prefer I and II's graphics to IV's to be honest. Sure its apples and oranges, but I'm just saying.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Sophita wrote:

R1 and R2 hon. Zoom in and out, it make things a lot better. Often when you're camera is blocked zoom in and it goes through the blockage.

She already knows this. Fact is, Suikoden V's maximum zoom isn't that great either. In fact, Suikoden V's maximum zoom is still way too far out most of the time.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Janus Valentine

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much better than IV but I really prefer III's graphics. Everything is slicker here, particularly in battle and in cutscenes. However when walking around (and during certain scenes) the characters are way too tiny which this makes it pretty hard to tell which characters are unique and recruitable.
The zoom in function doesn't really help much either. Not only does the camera automatically zooms out during special scenes but even when it's fully zoomed in I can't see where the hell i'm going!.

Not only would I like to see the characters expressions and movements more clearly like we could in III but i'd also like to be able to see recruitable characters a mile off.

The good news is that this is the only problem I have with the game so far.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:

I know - But when you enter any story scene that isn't CG, you're taken RIGHT BACK to the longest perspective. And the story scenes, of course, are the most interesting ones!

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked SV's graphics - the little touches were beautiful like shadows and (completely non -sensical) reflection in the water. The character models were all gorgeous, especially the Prince. I have NO idea how they managed to take such a girly looking character design and transform him into a boy that actually looks like a boy. Plus his orange outfit is shmexy. :D

Straight up, I think V and IV have very similar graphics - I just think V's were executed and utilised better.
Djungelurban

145425 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends what you mean by good graphics. Sure, it's not as advanced as in III or IV but considering that I still consider a game like "Symphony of the Night" one of the best looking games ever, that's not how I measure graphics. I'd say it's the best in the series hand in hand with II. Then there's III followed by I. Then it's a toss up between the bland and virtually charmless graphics of IV and the extreme barebones of Tactics but in the end I'd even say that I prefer Tactics. In fact, the only Suikoden game with worse graphics than IV is Card Stories.

(Can't really compare the gaidens with the rest very well since they pretty much are only using what best could be defined as paintings which are beautiful but none the less not what you'd call game graphics in the traditional sense. But if included they'd probably go in the lead.)
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
RedCydranth wrote:

I know - But when you enter any story scene that isn't CG, you're taken RIGHT BACK to the longest perspective. And the story scenes, of course, are the most interesting ones!

yeh. don't like it...also zooming in dosen't zoom in enough!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless Wanderer

Chuukekkonkoken

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that the graphics were quite exceptional. The lighting and reflections were awesome. The architecture was wonderfully made as well. If you also look closely (and have good eyes), you can actually make out that the programmers actually put faces on the characters even when they're so small.

They just zoomed you out so you couldn't marvel at the details.... a lot.

The camera is a low point. Zooming it in helps, but you need to zoom out so you won't get lost in a maze of a dungeon, your castle, or, in a town.

Graphics-wise, this game is amazing. They should've just had a better camera for this game so this game could've reached amazing heights aesthetically in the gaming community.

//Mahou Furyou Nagima! - Magister Nagi Magi//
Hoodman

Saruzin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's one of SuikoV's big flaws that blasted camera angle, however agreed that the graphics are the best and I agree that Suiko3 has the best camera angle I like it more than SI and SII and well I dunno SIV's(then again I dont want to play that game)

-There is neither a more trustworthy ally nor fearsome foe than you, Your Highness
- Shula Valya

-Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie - Shu
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: