Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Military Rpgs

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawyer

Magi Force - Alpha Company-

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Military Rpgs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are there any tabletop military rpgs out there? For example creating a nation then an army and navy. Something likie were you can control the units and build forts and other stuff. Maybe like a real time rpg like the total war series or Age of empires. Also very fantasy medieval themed or just medieval.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RPG? It kinda sounds like you're looking for a real-time strategy game. If you're looking for role-playing elements, there aren't quite as many of them out there that mix the two. Warcraft III comes to mind.
Sawyer

Magi Force - Alpha Company-

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah i mean real-time strategy game but like a table top game version not pc or what not
KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the Front mission games are primarily military oriented but you pilot giant mecha.
Takemura

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Risk Is a board game. That game is pretty fun... uhh its on the playstation too i think. and compooper

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most tabletop strategy games that come to mind have very weak, if any, true RPG elements. Most games come with their own setting and nations or worlds that get thrown together in combat. If you wanted RPG elements you would have to create them yourself with your fellow players by linking together a bunch of games. You may have to come up with your own rules for stuff like troop recruiting, fortification building, or leadership creation.

If you're looking to buy a lot of stuff I'd recommend Warhammer 40k. That gives you the basics for building an army and moving troops around. As for fleets, the game is set in a futuristic setting so any fleets would be in space. You could look to Warhammer Fantasy for a fantasy setting but I don't have any experience with that game so I don't a lot to say about it. If your looking a bit less on the stuff end you may want to check out Mech Warrior and Battletech. That's also futuristic and deals mainly with giant robots but you could always sub out home rules for the stuff that you don't like or don't want. Mechwarrior is the RPG version of Battletech and deals with the individual characters as opposed to Battletech's rules for massed mech warfare.

If you're talking about a pencil and paper RPG that would allow you to command a bunch of troops and run armies and stuff like that then that's a bit different. You could try and look into Recon: Modern Combat. That's a RPG that based in the Vietnam era of warfare and has rules about running large-scale battles with lots of troops. It has stats for ground, air and sea vehicles so you could create armies, fleets and an air force but the rules are a bit lacking in how you would go about and calculate stuff around that.

If you're just looking for a board game that you could use then, as suggested, you should try and look into Risk or some offshoot of it. They have the traditional, futuristic, and I think even a fantasy version. If nothing else you should be able to use the little figures and come up with some of your own rules. Most tabletop games aren't played in real-time because it would be silly to base an army's movement on how fast one player can move his pieces on the board around. If that is really what you're looking for then I wish you the best of luck on finding it. I've never heard of such a game but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Warhammer and Warhammer 40k can easily have the roleplaying elements, though it is much more inclined toward strategy/tactics than roleplaying. It is also, as Malt allluded to, a fairly expensive hobby, depending on how far you want to go into it. One can easily spend over 100 USD on a small army, and then there's possibly painting supplies and whatever else. It tends to lend itself to the hobby gamer more than most casual gamers, unless you want to either play with unpainted miniatures or slap a quick coat of paint on and don't mind how they look.

Another possibility, if you can get your hands on them, are Necromunda and Mordheim, also from Games Workshop. They are sci-fi and fantasy (respectively) small squad strategy games and you can play campaign like settings against a friend or a group and your gang or warband and characters will gain experience, level up, or get killed over the course of time. Has some of the same downsides as Warhammer, but doesn't cost quite as much since you only really need 4-6 models on each side to play. You can, of course, buy more (not like GW doesn't push for that or anything). Another downside is that Games Workshop cycles their non-Warhammer games in and out of production, so the games may not be readily available. Or if they are, they'll be around for a few months before they get pulled again. It's part of their marketing scheme or something, though you may be able to order them direct from GW. I know you can at least special order most of the miniatures.

There have been a variety of other games based around the same miniature turn based strategy idea, but none that I can think of off-hand that are readily available that give you the same army creation and what not. Maybe Axis and Allies, but it has no RPG aspects at all. The original also takes quite a while and need a few players. There are also quite a few other large wargame type strategy boxes that may be good, though I can't remember most of them right off the bat.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Battletech has a role-playing extension called Mechwarrior. Battletech, as you know, is a classic miniatures games about big battlemechs that go out at war. The Mechwarrior extension adds character traits and some battle systems to the individual pilots.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ditto to Arcana's post. Not sure who owns the rights to it anymore...it used to be FASA, then it was WizKids, but I'm sure someone somewhere out there still is mantaining that intellectual property. Even without Mechwarrior, the original Battletech rules involved, at the very least, piloting and gunnery skills for those mechwarriors who piloted the mechs, and was relatively inexpenive. Relatively speaking because the original game had paper maps and cardboard chits and stand-ups for like 30 USD for a box, rather than something like 60 USD for the rules and some miniatures with the cost of another 60+ USD for the rest of your army that you run into with Games Workshop.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah..as Arcana said, Mechwarrior adds on the "in-depth" RPG element into the Battletech game. It still doesn't have the "buid your cities, build your armies" kind of feel that Civilization or even Warcraft or something would have, but it's an option for a tabletop experience with a fun sci-fi feel without selling your house or something.

Another fun game that I forgot about in my first post is Runebound. It's kind of a successor to Talisman or Warhammer Quest or something, where each player controls a character that runs around a board doing quests and fighting monsters. It has combat, attributes, experience, items, and a lot of the other roleplaying fun wrapped up into a boardgame that begins and ends within the course of a night. Again, not a build a base and conquer the world kind of game, but fun for what it is.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting about some other games. I'll try thinking more when my head is clearer now that I know a little better what you're looking for.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: