Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Racial Diversity in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello. I must agree with Luc.
The Suikoden Series has one of the most racially diverse characters within all RPGs, if not all of the games of any genre combined!
Sure, there is Hauser and Bob in II.

What about the Karaya Clan in III? Most likely not Hugo, Lucia, Beecham, Lulu or Anne, But what about Luce, and Aila! I think they look more African! Or even Samus!

There is no lack of black characters in the Suikoden Series. If there were more, There would most likely be in the Southlands, with the Indian/Arabic swordsmen.

Now, to answer the questions.

1. Do you like to see more articles like this that talks about social issues and Suikoden?

It was pretty good. But i think that this was pretty much the only issue you could write a lot on, concerning social issues.

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

It was a good article, but there was one thing that i think you missed out.
What about the other cultures?
There are black characters in here, but what about the Cowboy-like characters, or Middle Eastern characters? And even the Barbarian-like characters? What about them? You could have mentined an anlysis on the Chisha Village, like what kind of culture is that based on.
And there is also the creature cultures. that is, the elves, dwarves, kobolds, winghordes, Ducks, Lizards and the new Nekobolds. What about them? I think your title to the article is misleading. I mean, there are more to the people of the world than just black people, right?

3. Did the article change your perception of racial diversity in Suikoden? Why/why not?

No, actually. Not too much. Don't get me wrong, it was a grat article, but i kinda figured out that there wasn't that many black characters in Japanese games because there hasn't been that much contact with the black people and Japanese people inside Japan anyways, like you said in your article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher, I definitely agree with you about Luce and Aila looking African (or Haitian, etc since my friend was complaining about always being referred to as African. o.o; *Shrugs*) Although I also think Lucia borders on looking more African than anything else, too. Just a little lighter skin is all. And blonder hair. x_x

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, ok, thanks Angela (hint, Angela being short for TheAngelicSin).

Doesn't Lucia make you think of Beyonce Knowles? Not even by just a little bit? You know, with the blond hair, the sexy build....anyone?

I was wondering though about Samus. He would look black, if not for the blond hair. Of his hair style. But hey, Big Boi or Andre from Outkast would wear that look, right :) ?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angela, eh? Well there's a new one. ^^; I'm used to just Angelic or TAS. And now that I think about it my roommate was supposed to be a girl named Angela o.o;

Ack, nearly forgot about Samus. ;P Well supposedly all humankind began in Africa so... you know, hair color could change with time and Suikoden doesn't necessarily have to use our same definitions of genetics.

1862 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey dont over look Sancho Maxamillion asestint
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Editorial: Racial Diversity in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Article URL--
http://www.suikox.com/ed/race40318.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. Do you like to see more articles like this that talks about social issues and Suikoden?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article change your perception of racial diversity in Suikodn? Why/why not?

1) Maybe. I don't consider a big deal, in Suikoden. It's not like I'm going to get mad because there's a lack of redheads or something. As long as they're not specifically aiming to design their characters all "white", then I'm alright with it.

2) The addition of real world experiences (living in Kyoto) makes the article a lot stronger. Also, the fact it's approached from a factual angle (not one of speculation) is also good. It's down to earth, and realistic, which I like.

3) It didn't do much, because I've never really noticed it; Obviously, it's also never been a major concern for me within the Suikoden series.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my thing is, with anything,why the word "races" are used to descobe, somtimes, what are obviously species. "Race" is a socialy constructed idea, based off of various physical things like hair type and color, and skin color. What is "black" In United States of America, isn't what "Black" is in, lets say somwhere like Cuba or the Dominican Republic.

of course I'm talking about Elves, Dwarves, Merfolk, cat-people, wingers or any other "fantasy race". On the plus side,in this world, all people are considerd "Humans", no Matter what color they be.

anway, it is good to see why real-world racial diversity looks the way it does when these things are conserned,and how awful the media can be,like if somone takes sterotyping the wrong way. I'm not sure if my views changed, I just Assume the Suiko world we know is so far geographicly northren, or Euraisan. somthing.

I don't think people should jump through flaming hoops to please somone and forcefully put people into a game/show that may be awkard. Thats what making somthing seprete is about.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think most characters in suikoden are white because they want to attract people in america and europe to play the game
not as much asian characters because the japanese already think anything american is cool
as for the lack of african americans it's probably because blacks don't play rpg's as much but usually other game genres lke sport games
as for not having that many hispanics i don't have a thought for this
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, concerning hispanics Child of the Sea God, what about Juan? or Sanchez? or Rico? Those are Hispanic names, aren't they? There'll probably be a Jose, or Enrique in other sequels. And technically, hispanics are Caucasian. Like the Middle Easterns, or Indians.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not necessarily; they can also fall under african as well-i've seen this multiple times on different types of applications:

hispanic (caucasian)
hispanic (african)
hispanic (other)

i'm guessing that this was meant to cover those who can claim a background from countries that spain conquered and integrated with whose races differed from their own. what other is supposed to encompass, i have no idea, unless they mean 'pure' spanish or portuguese.

people from the middle east and india often have their own classification as well; whether or not this applies to everything, i couldn't say, but there are more than just white, black and other.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont think they look African, their skin is black, yeah, but they remind me of Aztecs or some kind of Nomad tribes living in the plains.

Well Japanese made games like Street Fighter and SNK have a decent amount of Black characters in it.

and Kiros in Final Fantasy VIII, was black, but didnt seem much like it.

Barret was kool, and kept the type up in Final Fantasy VII( my most favorite game of all time ).

but in short, out of all the games, RPG wise, I'd say Suikoden has a rather large selection of black characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: