Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New story Concept.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: New story Concept. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thinking about SIII and TSS system. It was quite brave to put up a new gameplay system in Suikoden series. Lots of 'bigger' titles like Final Fantasy and DQ hardly change anything in their way of storytelling.

I would like to see new concept of Storytelling. And maby bit of differend aproach to the characters.

Example.
It would be really good and sad if they create few characters (like in ff or mgs) and put a true rune on main protagonist, showing his way through life with a true rune. Showing most dear people dying as years pass by, and few wars he went trough... etc.

That kind of storytelling would be new to suikoden series.. and in my opinion it could be created in a very dramatic way.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would certainly be new to the Suikoden series, and in my opinion would run contrary to the Suikoden series' defining feature: The One Hundred and Eight Stars of Destiny. Under your new concept, you stated that there would be "few characters." So, how would that fit in with the SoD? Part of Suikoden's charm, what sets it apart from Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest, is all that recruting, and that would be lost.

I agree that the concept of the lifelong story is a good one and that, if executed properly, it could make an absolutely stellar game. However, that stellar game should be outside the Suikoden series.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could be a side story like the Gaidens or Tactics.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's true, ayda's arrow. Still, making a side story that lasted for many years could be difficult; would it be exciting enough to appeal to most gamers? And Bright Shield Rune bearer did include in his model a True Rune bearer as the main character, which would not mesh well with the "side story" atmosphere.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it's an entirely new main character, then you would be correct. However, if the character is a previous True Rune bearer, that's a different story entirely. Even if they're not a main, there are a lot of rune bearers whose stories haven't been touched on much. Wyatt Lightfellow certainly has a story to tell somewhere in the long stretches of time we don't know what he was doing in.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A "lifelong" story of a true bearer.....yeah, it would be a game 57,000 hours long. kinda impossible when you throw in the true rune.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

A "lifelong" story of a true bearer.....yeah, it would be a game 57,000 hours long. kinda impossible when you throw in the true rune.

What makes you say that? Most True Rune Bearers we know about haven't had their runes for very long. It seems that the True Runes like to jump around and not stick with the same host. Get's boring I suppose.

Besides Hikusaak, Ted and Sierra there haven't been alot of bearers whose lives have been intensely long. Many go into hiding and don't lead interesting lives after a major conflict. Staying out of the lime-light so as they don't continue getting hastled for having the gift and curse of the True Rune. By curse I do mean that people who want the power(like Harmonia) would be seeking you. That's why Wyatt went into hiding, that's why Ted boarded the Ghost Ship, that's why the Blue Moon Village was formed, far from societies scrutinous eyes.

I don't think following the life of one person and watching their love ones die as you stay alive is that the whole concept, while creative and innovative, doesn't seem like it would be entertaining. The reason many would die if you had the True Rune would be caused by age. That's not entertaining. "Hey let's play that hot new title where you get to wait around and do sidequests until everyone around turns to dust!" Pardon my sarcasm but that kind of game doesn't appeal to me. It would be artistic and innovavtive, don't get me wrong, but Suikoden isn't really about being artistic. It's not an artsy game, unfortunately, and that type of style is restrictive to recruiting which is the RPG aspect of gameplay that Suikoden has reknown for.

Any really great RPG is set up around a short period of time. When we were learning about how to write a good short story the first thing we were told was that when you choose your topic, choose a short time frame, 5-10 minutes. With a topic that occurs in a short period of time you can really paint the picture of the surrounding and it really helps to keep your story short. Video game scripts are the same way, it seems. Shorter stories make for more oppurtunities to really get into the game, it makes you feel like you're a part of the game. I don't mean it launches you into a fantasy realm where you're walking around next to Cloud Strife and a woman whose breasts defy scientific theories of gravity, but when you get into your slump and play the game for 4 hours at a time, pee and go back to playing.

K, got off into a weird place there. Point being, to make the game succesful it must have one event over a relativly short period of time. Following the life of a True Rune Bearer would involve several events at different times involving different people. That's why each Suikoden has been about one conflict or war. It's the medium in which it's easiest to draw the player in and enjoy the game.

I do think that with the next Suikoden we'll see a really cool new feature powered by PS3(probably). Maybe an innovation with combat, something leaning toward more involved. I'm still expecting to see a game that has multiple fighters that can be actively controlled easily and effectively in a game. Like playing Zelda with 6 characters at once. Exciting! Or better yet, a multi-player aspect of Suikoden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we wont be seeing anymore big chances taken with the series, or at least the main installments. I think any big changes would be tested for lower budget gaidens, like another tactics game, and gauging from it popularity(or lack thereof) aspects of that tested system would be implemented into the main Suikoden series.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really love Leb's idea for a story where the main character has a "dark" True Rune that keeps telling him to hurt people even though he's quite a nice chappy really.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That does sound interesting, Axiose. Although, the Rune of Punishment was quite dark itself, and the Sun Rune sounds similar to that, in that it caused Arshtat to become a megalomaniacal megalomaniac and destroy Lordlake. And that certainly does qualify as "hurting people."

Also, I noticed that this is no longer a new story "koncept." :mrgreen:
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder if they could span ages like Saga Frontier 2 did. but then you'll need gaidens to fill in the gaps "what happend when it said 12 years passed?"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chr0n0

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, I hope they might go back to using suikoden II's dunan area
Maybe there might be a True Rune called Rune of Ending
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
I wonder if they could span ages like Saga Frontier 2 did. but then you'll need gaidens to fill in the gaps "what happend when it said 12 years passed?"

That'd be a good way to tell the badlands story(before/during/ after it became the badlands and the true fate behind the two mages)
Crimson

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for the sake of it I don't really know what concept should I write but for sure I don't want a story that's occuring within 2 friends such as jowy-riou and snowe-lazlo
azzy

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have my own concept...

mine wold be like a combination of the branching storylines of SV and the Trinity Sight System.

In it you choose wich side to take and you wold see the conflict through their eyes. similar to the PS game ogre tactics... the game would have completely branching storylines with a number of SOD on each side...i think that would be cool it would give a lot of replay value tothe game plus more opportunitiesto develop the SOD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: