Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How about a Tenkai from another race?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: How about a Tenkai from another race? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden has plenty of different races. But what about having an elven Tenkai? Or a perhaps even a Nay-kobold?

Personally i would like to get to know more about the different races in Suikoden and see them play a more important role. It could give the story a whole new dimension, or not at all. Also i would like to see other races appear in greater numbers and larger settlements than we have seen so far.

So what would you like to see?
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that would definetly be cool. Everybody always puts humans as their main protagonist.
That's logical in a way, cause it's easier to recognize yourself in a story. After all we are humans.

It would be interesting to see something like TSS again. This time to pick up some character to be main protagonist but not giving possability to se other POW-s.
Or something completly new...
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've thunk this since I saw Suikoden III and how well they integrated the Ducks and Lizards into the Grasslands. ard, you just put a Nay because you knew I'd love it. LOL.

So far we've seen Dwarves, Elves, Kobolds, Wingers, Lizards, Ducks, Nay-Kobolds (Cats) and Beavers. I guess you can lump Vampires (Sierra) and Lycanthropes (Bob) in there also. This is more than enough races to work with for a non-human tenkai.

Most realistically we have the best shot at an elvish Tankai than any other demi-human race. It would seem as if the Beavers are isolated to the Falenian region. Just like the Ducks and Lizards seem to be a Grasslands/Zexen region thing. And dispite the cats hating water, we'ver never seen a Nay outside Suikoden IV. However in all 5 we've seen Elves and in 3 of the 5 we've seen dwarves (Kudos to 5 for finally giving us more than one dwarf to use. I was tired of Twaikin representing the entire populous of dwarves)

Perhaps we'll see a half-elf half human thing (Kinda like Selma from IV if I remember correctly)and that would be cool. Elves resemble humans enough for the "being in the game" feeling that the human tenkais are supposed to give.

Bright Shield Rune bearer, the TSS was cool, but it has proven to be an unpopular way for the game to be done. Granted the story of III would have been far worse without it, many people thought it was anti-centric to a single hero and thus made the player feel more distant to the central characters. Also, the fact that the Tenkai never bore a true rune kinda threw people for a loop. For the record, Thomas was the true Tenkai of III, dispite the emphasis placed on Hugo, Geddoe and Chris.

If a non-human is going to star in Suikoden VI, I'm gonna bet it will be an elf over any other race.

On a side note, we have enough races Konami. I like diversity, but the Beavers show you're stretching it. So help me god, if we see Elephant people or Pig-men I'll cry. If you're going to be insistant upon a "new" race, maybe a minotaur type people who are similar to the Lizards where they're strength over rational intelligence. Something not so... weird like Ducks and Beavers.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would certainly like a non-human Tenkai; the current system seems too hegemonic. Also, I think that Red Cydranth is right in saying that the Elves have the best shot at a Tenkai next Suikoden. After all, they're basically the same as humans, just with pointy ears and longer lifespans (a moot point if the Tenkai gets a True Rune). Although, most Elves use bows, which Konami might have to work around; the bow simply does not conjure the images of heroism (as with a sword), originality (Kyril's Swallow or the Suikoden V Hero's triple-nunchaku), or martial skill (like Tir's and Riou's weapons). To most of Konami's consumers, a bow would just be... bleh.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the key characteristics of a Suikoden Tenkai is the players ability to associate with the True Rune bearer, which is why most of the games have featured silent Tenkai. I think the main character would pretty much lose the ability to be compared with the player if he became a non-human. After the point of having other races in games and such is to show something from a point of view outside the supposed view of mankind. It would be interesting to have a Tenkai be a non-human but I seriously can't see myself being able to be he hero in that game, as I have with all the other Suikodens.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think it would be a good idea. If they did pull it off then I think the areas you run around should be of the same race as the Hero. I wouldn't mind having a sidekikc from another race with a true rune too though, I perfer a dukc, a flying squirrel, or a beaver.
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like a female Winger. Wingers have'nt been in the last two and we have never had a female Wingerhode (that sounds bad :oops: ) even join us before. Plus they are the closes to Humans than the other races Elfes are more fagile, Dwarfs are to rough, and so on Human and Wingers are realy the only blanced races.

CLERKS
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I've thunk this since I saw Suikoden III and how well they integrated the Ducks and Lizards into the Grassland. ard, you just put a Nay because you knew I'd love it. *laugh*.

Not at first, but it's good to know i can get your attention by saying the word 'Nay-kobold' :P .

Quote:

Perhaps we'll see a half-elf half human thing (Kinda like Selma from IV if I remember correctly)

Selma?, wasn't it Paula? I vaguely remember here being banned because here mother had something to do with humans, i might be wrong though.

I, too believe elfs stand the best chance at getting a Tenkai role, but i'm fine with that. I think elfs can add a lot to the story. They have much more potential than just creating some sense of diversity in the SUikoden universe. That goes for any other race for that matter.
Basically i'm just tired of all these humans :*laugh*: .
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, the next Tenkai should be a FurFur. It'l be juuust like a Slime Morimori DQ game.

Konami should give Lizardmen a shot. 2nd vote goes to Wingers.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think I would be a big fan of a non human tenkai.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zaj I mean Mike wrote:
I would like a female Winger. Wingers have'nt been in the last two and we have never had a female Wingerhode (that sounds bad :oops: ) even join us before. Plus they are the closes to Humans than the other races Elfes are more *beep*, Dwarfs are to rough, and so on Human and Wingers are realy the only blanced races.

What are wingers?
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are Wingers? See my sig. Chaco, Sid and Landis are wingers. The second race of Two River.

ard, you're right, it was Paula, not Selma. Thanks.

ZImM, while yes wingers are a cool group of people, I don't think a tenkai from the winghorde would be very suitable. In general the wingers are seen to be a theiving underhanded race, if not creepy (Sid and Landis are most definitely two of the creepier stars in the Suikoverse.) Also, none of them really have displayed the ability to be of any considerable use.

Camus, Elves have been in every suikoden and in each one they are useful. Kirkis and Rubi ruled in 1, Stallion's rune made him very valuable in both 1 and 2. In III Roland was the best archer in the game (IMO tied with Jaques and Aila) and in IV if you took the time with Paula she really became quite a all around good fighter. As for Elves and their cliché bow usage. True. Kirkis, Stallion, Rubi, Roland were all archers and even Nei threw things making her ranged. But IV kind of mixed it up. Selma and Paula were both skilled with swords. And since when does the tenkai have to weild a sword? In fact III and IV where the main characters weilded swords (Except Hugo who had doube Daggers) those games were seen as the lesser games.

Where in any RPG history has the main character been forcibly skilled with a bow? (I say forcibly because there are games that allow multiple weapon usage and a choice is the bow, like FFII or Shining Force NEO. I am talking about a hero who is restricted to bow usage only.) Why do long range bowsmen (or bowswomen if we get a female tenaki) get the shaft to the swordsman/melee types? If a tenaki weilded a weapon like Nash's from III I think that would be cool. All this hand to hand combat is repetitve. If they want to mix the series up by putting in a non-human Tenkai, its not a stretch to make him or her long ranged.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Red, when did I say that the Tenkai had to wield a sword? I stated that, to most consumers, a bow is not really considered a "cool" weapon, and that is the weapon that is most identified with the Elven race. Personally, I think that the bow is one of the most interesting weapons, but the majority of gamers would disagree. And after all, Konami's number one goal in making the Suikoden series is to make money. In fact, that is probably why all of the Tenkais thus far have been human; most humans can identify with humans pretty well, as Gil-galad said.

And we don't know that the Wingers are so "underhanded" everywhere. Perhaps it's simply a byproduct of the disdain they receive from the Kobolds and humans, and Wingers in other colonies (if there are any) are more civilized. Also, they are quite useful; Chaco and Sid both get three rune slots, making them among the most potentially powerful characters in the sereis.
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Someone like Lucia or Hauser? No problem. Someone like Gengen, or Mukumuku? A friggin squid? A duck, a catman? Um, no. How about someone like Bob, with a rune that changes him into a beast(or changes a beast into human, which is what Bob's did).
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really would look foward to this i think th best chance of getting another race as a TEnkai are the Sindar's since their leader has one rune. And since we have nevermet a Sinder i doubt we can conclude they are humans unless we saw they looked like humans and even at that doesn't makethem human Look at Jeane for all we know she may not be human and she can end of being a Tenkai. We also got Viki we don't what she is she just looks like a human. and of course we got Yuber and Pesmerga which wil lbe the last game probably((Yuber is probably gonna be a Tenkai with the Eight Devil Rune))
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: