Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is it finally time for a female Tenkai?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What gender will Suikoden 6's tenkai be?
Female
50%
 50%  [ 55 ]
Male
33%
 33%  [ 37 ]
Both?
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 109

Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you, Eden, in your last sentence. But, there are many RPGs where women have a huge impact on the story. Almost all RPGs have at least one woman which make the game as good as it is.

I'm sure in different forums for other series of RPGs are dicussing having a woman as the lead in at least one upcoming game, like we are here for Suikoden. Though, most other respected series have had at least one game with a female lead like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, and Wild ARMS. It's just a matter of time before Suikoden does it, too.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dzerassa, your examples are everything but bad, but if you think of Final Fantasy 6 I must say Terra wasn't implented as the lead role as it is done in most cases (at least that is what I feel), I have played the second game and it's true that you have the choice between a male and a female protagonist, but since I have only played with Kenny I have to say that the woman is there "just" like the love of his life. She had impact on the story as far as I remember, but nothing spectacular (sorry, it's long time since the last time I have played it). The second Wild Arms has three heroes, so this is right, but still there is not the woman the lead role. Maybe with the exception of Star Ocean all woman need a qually strong male character.
Maybe this is really just me, but I still think that most woman in games, especially RPGs are wonderful for the story, very likable, more or less independent and almost completely attachment. Think about how many games exist where the male hero and the female comrade fall in love with each other?

The Fool
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am going to take a guess and say that i am quite sure that Suikoden will keep its male Tenkai's but i am sure that there will be a woman close with him helping him along the way like in Suikoden V Prince and Lyon.

Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, okay, I'm just gonna kinda give a kinda slanted (cause I really only play RPGs and most are from Square-Enix and I'm a girl) perspective on this:

Female Leads
    Final Fantasy VI (Was actually a very good game)
    Final Fantasy X-2 (I liked it, but most people thought it blew)
    Xenosaga
    Clock Tower Series (I think 2 had a female lead, but I know 1 and 3 did)
    Dead or Alive 2 (The main story focused on Kasumi)
    Unlimited Saga (O-M-F-G this game SUCKED! Not just cause it had multiple lead characters. It just sucked. Majorly.)
    Haunting Grounds (I don't have this game, nor have I played it)
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Wild ARMS III
    Metroid (OMFG HOW COULD I FORGET SAMUS?!?!)

Male Leads
    Star Ocean III
    Any Final Fantasy Not Listed Above
    Sonic Games (Amy is the exception)
    .hack series
    Shenmue (Okay, so this game just got made fun of, but it was still a decent game to play)
    Evolution II (This game could have possibly been worse than Unlimited Saga)
    Grandia II (I liked it)
    Skies of Arcadia (My favorite RPG)
    Suikoden Series (Just had to throw it in there)
    Most other Horror games
    GTA Series (as a matter of fact, they portray women in a not-so-good light in this one)
    Kingdom Hearts I & II (Loved 'em both)

Of course these are not at all near the number of games with either male or female lead. I just listed the ones I came up with off the top of my head. Why did I list these? For you guys to form an opinion on how successful each game was.

What I've seen for the most part, though, has been a male lead that has a female character with some kind of quest/peril/power that they must deal with (Millenia/Elena in Grandia II, Yuna in FFX, Fina in SoA, Kairi in Kingdom Hearts).

Last edited by Seraphym on Tue May 30, 2006 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Star Ocean 2 had a choice of the lead, and one of them was female. Wild ARMS 3 had a female main charactyer, too. Just to add to your list.

But, like said before, it shouldn't matter which gender leads in the next game. As long as there's a really good story behind the game, that's all that matters. Well, that and good gameplay.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course it matters, having a main character that the player relates to can make the story a hell of a lot better and makes the game more interesting. Personally I relate to male characters more often than I do female (though I loved Chris). I wouldnt mind though if they did go with a female lead but she better have some male personality traits.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh, I don't mean to be rude, but girls can be cool too. I mean, just as girls. I'm pretty sure that we aren't getting at "OMFG LET'S ALL GO OUT AND, LIKE, HAVE PIZZA AT THE MALL! We can all talk on our cell phones and get all new bras!" We are just trying to say just let her be a girl. Trust me, not all girls are like what I said above. I sure as hell am not.

One thing I'd wish they'd avoid is having all the men go ga-ga over her. The whole thing with Lyon even got slightly out of hand in 5. Now I'm not saying have some girl who looks like a damn dog (cause that would never sell). Sure, the girl is gonna be perfect... like they ALWAYS are. As a matter of fact, the least perfect looking video game girl I've ever seen was Shion from Xenosaga and even SHE got a guy.

But you guys must admit: any time there is a girl character (some 108 stars excluded) in any video game, they look perfect.

Erp, I kinda went off topic. I'm sorry, it's just that I have issues when it comes to female video game characters. I have low self-esteem. Okay, that's enough about me! Oops! Bye.

PS IRL I don't relate to girls that much, but in video games I can relate to either guys or girls. I guess it's just fun pretending like you are that character.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, the genre grows with the audience and there's nothing wrong with that. RPGs used to literally be RPGs, pen and paper, dice, etc. The heroes in games started male because the primary gaming audience for years was young males in this genre. Now its not anymore, so the genre grows. That DOESNT mean it changes, people still play the pen and paper crap. It just means, in addition to the "traditional" rpgs, there are alternatives for people not terribly interested in playing through the same old crap the same old way.
Carbunc

Crimson Bricade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

But that's hypothetical. A nation suppressing women has yet to be revealed

True it is completly hypothetical and i did not mean for it to really happen in that way. I was just pointing out that with Konami having each suikoden involve a different nation it's very easy to come up with a completly different general attitude of the populace.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't put too much into the thought of gender in RPG leads. Look at Final Fantasy III, one of the best RPGs of all time, and a game with not just one, but two extremely strong female leads (Terra is obviously the lead, but Celes is easily the second focus character).

In my first playthrough Chris was my Flame Champion, which is just a mistake, but gave her the most focus. I don't understand why the Tenkai was Thomas, but I guess Konami does what it does for a reason. The Prince (Suikoden V) was pretty femenine in appearance, but he wasn't afraid to throw down, so there was really no gender confusion on my part.

But, I would much rather have a female lead than an androgynous male. It'd be nice to see, that's for sure.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've not heard one person note that Parasite Eve had female leads in both games, but then again, it might not have sold as well as anything else Square was putting out in those days - I think it was a really overlooked game that had good mechanics, good gameplay, and an excellent story with a very engaging character that wasn't relying on Lara Croft boob-size to retain any sort of interest in the game.

I'm all for a female Tenkai, even though in previous installments of Suikoden, we've seen females that are close to the male Hero that are nothing more than mouthpieces for the Hero. I think Nanami and Lyon are two really good examples of females that would have made excellent Tenkais were it not for the circumstances of their births. Actually, I think Nanami would have made a better choice for Tenkai but [and this is just my interpretation] she had more of a self-preservationist streak in her instead of her having to go in there and do the job and get the job done. Of course, there's also the matter of being not quiiiite as close to Jowy as Riou was and there you have that. But given the right circumstances, it would be conceivable to see Nanami as a Tenkai. It's as if in the games we've seen thus far, the females [even Chris Lightfellow from III, if you didn't pick her as the Flame Champion] are doomed to be the First Lieutenants in these escapades as opposed to the heroic generals in these wars.

So yes, I'm ready to see a Female Tenkai, and I hope she is well written and poised to not be some Jeane-alike.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
a very engaging character that wasn't relying on Lara Croft boob-size to retain any sort of interest in the game.

Actually the main baddy in PE 1 had knockers that could topple statues. It didnt sell well because of the genre mixing which I personally enjoyed(and SE seems to like now since the new FF will use something practically identical) and because...I couldnt tell you why else. I effing loved both of those games, I guess people were too stupid to want more.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ice wrote:
I don't understand why the Tenkai was Thomas, but I guess Konami does what it does for a reason.

OT, but I think they made Thomas Tenkai, because he wanted to gather people, and unite them. Chris, Hugo and Geddoe would of stayed with the own groups IMO, if they didn't decide to ban together.

I agree, that the Tenkai shouldn't have a bunch of guys/girls falling for her. This is one of the problems I have with Chris, and with other Suikoden characters. I was sick of every guy going, "Oh my, you're so beautiful, the lovely silver maiden.", or girl "Wow, you're so hot."
I want a tough girl, that isn't really recongized for her beauty, but because she's a good leader. The heroine type I would like to see, is someone like Wakaba from Suikoden 2. A tough girl, who's mind was always on making herself better. Plus, she wasn't a blinding beauty, that every guy had to notice her. So if there is going to be a Tenkai, I'd like someone like her I think. That's just me though.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd love to see a chick lead the game. I would be great! Nice change of pace.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally would not mind if there was a female tenkai in the next Suikoden game. I think it would be a good idea to be able to have a choice to be either a male or female tenkai in a way of adding a bit more flavour towards the game. The storylines, plots, and true runes will still be the same its just that you can a male or female main character to experiance these events.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: