Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is it finally time for a female Tenkai?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What gender will Suikoden 6's tenkai be?
Female
50%
 50%  [ 55 ]
Male
33%
 33%  [ 37 ]
Both?
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 109

Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Yeah, after all, Tomb Raider never sold a single copy! Big flop!

And Dead or Alive isn't popular at all!

I mean, girls are icky!

Girls make up around 43% of the game market; I think y'all either need to adjust to the fact gaming isn't the No Girls Allowed Club anymore (if it ever was) or find a new hobby.

Err... Girls are icky, but I never said that I didn't want them in my gaming!

Yes, there are games with girls that have been successful, but I'm just saying most games with lead girl characters don't sell. If they do, it's targeted for guys, like Lara Craft with her extreme lady sexiness; you can't tell me that people bought that game because of her brains. Also, DOA (I didn't know that girls could be main character in this game), well all I can say is according to G4, the female "jiggle" was created in this series.

Also, if you read my earlier post, you would see that I am in favor of a female Tenki.

Ha! And don't try to correct my grammar, 'cause I checked this time ;)

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No offense, but I can't think of many games that do have female leads, so I'm curious what you're basing it off of. Those that I can think of - Tomb Raider, FFX-2, DoA, Metroid - sell well. Granted, a lot of those games are based on sex appeal, but they are still series with female leads.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita has a point, In fact out of the games with female leads that I can remember (There are two I know didn't sell, bu there names escape me) most sell well. Perfect Dark, Kameo, Halo, The new Xenosagas... Ok one of those might not fit in, but all in all the gender usally doesn't matter with big name titles, backed up with good gaming.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But still female lead characters in videogames have a tough "life". The games with Lara Croft lost in matter of quality and content each game more. Maybe some people could make a nice diagram which shows the connection between this decrease and her unnormal increase of chest measurement. Games like Metroid made a big deal of hiding their female hero till the very end (at least the older games. I have to admit, I've never played the last games). DoA is ridiculous. Yes, the girls can beat every male opponent, but the main issue is that their prime sexual characteristics are shown in close-up with movement.
For me personally FF X-2 was the first game in which female lead characters act in a mostly non-male way (I don't want to read I would mean it as acomparision of better or worse).
I believe most woman were created to make a good love story. Most woman's behaviour was masculine with sexiness. I think we could have a female lead which is strong and tough but more than a male with breast.

The Fool
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although there isn't going to be a huge difference between a female, and a male lead, there is going to be some difference.
For example, the reactions from other people. In the first 2 games, most of the characters seemed to act naturally around the hero. Chris and the Prince however, are slightly different. Chris had gotten a lot of comments on her beauty. The Prince was considered a child, but some girls seemed to have a crush on him. So, if a girl, one can assume that guys would react to her more. Similar to Chris, perhaps. Of course, the girl could attract girls as well. Not to mention how the main character reacts to others. The choices, and if S6 does follow S5's example, the facial expressions. I'm going to assume that the Tenkai(if a girl), would have the facial and body expression, that most girls in Japan have. I felt the Prince's behaviour, was based on this. So why I assume it this.

Other then this, there isn't much difference.
Personally, I prefer playing as a male character, but I wouldn't mind a female main character either. Of course this depends on how the story is done as well. I think Chris' character wound be a good foundation, on making a female tenkai.

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted both, as I reckon it's not too far off before the tenkai's gender will either be undetermined or a flat out he-she.

Seriously, each tenkai is becoming more androgynous by the game and I would honestly not be surprised if they actually had a characxter who's gender was undetermined.

I don't think they'll go into the hermaphrodite area quite yet, but you never know...

Local Ruffians!!!!

60970 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted for both, because i want to see them somehow do a 2 main character game....where you control 2 people in 2 different areas, with the 108 stars seperated and at the end they tie together to form a sort of huge faction.......i dont know just a little soemthing running through my mind.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It'd be funny to offer choices in the game that determine what sex the main character ends up being. Then the character would either change into a manly outfit or a girly outfit depending on the choices. Sort of a "Its Pat!" scenario(how the hell do I remember that lame sketch :P)
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say it will be interesting if the Tenkai is Female...
well, just curious and hoping that the game will come very soon, like on January next year, so that Chinese New Year will be boomed by Suikoden 6 :mrgreen:
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prophecy wrote:
I voted for both, because i want to see them somehow do a 2 main character game....where you control 2 people in 2 different areas, with the 108 stars seperated and at the end they tie together to form a sort of huge faction.......i dont know just a little soemthing running through my mind.

That would be much like the plot of Atelier Iris II. But that would also do well in Suikode i think. Both characters will be just as important as the other. The only problem would be, "Who get's to be Tenkai?" Unless they're reversible, like Tomo.

IMHO, i think a female Tenkai would be okay. It'll make the story more involving and have more of emotion in the plot. Also, since it's gonna be played by a female this time, there will be new reactions to be considered (as stated above). It's all fine by me.

Just as long as she looks cool and seems like a good leader, i'm fine with whoever she is. Just as long as it makes sense. It doesn't even matter f it's male or female actually... it's just a difference in how they reply and how they are spoken to. Which doesn't really turn out dufferently in the long run.

Carbunc

Crimson Bricade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Bull puckies. Not only do Female leaders excel in Suikoden (Lucia; Teresa; Chris; Sonya; Odessa; Arshtat; Flare, even - all have loyal troops who never doubt their decisions, who would die for them if and when it came down to it.) , but there has YET to be a time when a character refused to fight for someone due to their sex. And there are plenty relationships where the women are either equal or dominant to their partners, too; the women of Suikoden are rarely meek and humble. Even Yoshino, probably as humble as they get, takes up her nagitana. There's no great inbalance of women to male in non-battle roles.

Ok so ummm i think your forgetting that each suikoden occurs in a NEW nation. They could very easily have a nation where the women are suppressed by the males and a female tenkai hero rises up with her fellow females and male sympathizers to create a new and better kingdom. I also think that the woman should be one tough (apparently not allowed to so some words).... Anyways someone like Queen from suiko 3 comes to mind. Also a woman protagonist in this situation would have a harder time gaining the respect of her enemies AND her male allies. It would set off a great start for the rebellion--the enemy would either underestimate her or quickly retaliates in a swift strike that makes it so the rebellion has to think fast, and act fast. The way the enemy reacted would be based on WHY the women are suppressed. Did something really bad happen in the past that women were the cause of? Or is it unnnecessar suppresion the like the Greeks with their women? BUT...
*sigh* it'll probably be another male tenkai leading the rebellion against a corrupt gov't.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually think that Konami meant to make Faroush a female, but then realized they were dealing with Falena so the main character COULDN'T be female!!! So they chopped off her boobs and called her a boy.

Just kiddin'!

Anywho, I do think it is time for Suiko to have a female lead! I seriously did think that Faroush was a girl (Queendom of Falena, and the package) until I read the booklet. Man I was irked!

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carbunc wrote:
Ok so ummm i think your forgetting that each suikoden occurs in a NEW nation. They could very easily have a nation where the women are suppressed by the males and a female tenkai hero rises up with her fellow females and male sympathizers to create a new and better kingdom. I also think that the woman should be one tough (apparently not allowed to so some words)....

But that's hypothetical. A nation suppressing women has yet to be revealed, and thus it doesn't exist, so I can't comment on it. However, there have always been females who have been in leadership roles in all of the Suikoden games thus far. I could also say, "They could very easily have a nation where dogs are suppressed by the humans and a dog tenkai hero rises up with their fellow canines an dcanine sympathizers to create a new and better kingdom." but that proves nothing about how dogs have been treated in Suikoden thus far. We can only work with what we are given.

On the other hand, looking at the cast list, there doesn't seem to big a big problem with women being subjugated or being relegated to gender-specific roles: Mamie doesn't get any more flak for being a female cook than Hai Yo does for being a male one; Sonya isn't any less of a general than Kazim because she is a woman, Likewise, the same is true for men - Killey is not percieved as less of a Sindar scholar than Lorelai because he is a man and she is not; no one consideres it anymore unusual for Rock to be a storage manager than they would think it unusual for Barbara to be.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For all those who said that female main characters in video games almost always turns out to be a flop, you should consider a few things....

1.) RPGs are different than most other games. When it comes to Lara Croft, the Tomb Raider games are meant to be aimed for guys, like Jorge Prima mentioned. RPGs are not targeted for specifically boys or girls. In fact, I see more RPGs with female leads than I do other games, and they're not always meant to be all sexy with huge boobular things all over....Jeane is an exception.

2.) Suikoden is a respected series. Yes, Konami tries to make many new fans of the series every time a new game comes out, but they already have a huge amount of fans as it is. All of us would most definately buy a Suikoden game with a woman as the main character, even those who are opposed to the idea.

3.) Not all of the Suikoden traditions come through every time a game comes out. Once again, Jeane is an exception to this...as well as Viki. If we had the same basic elements in every Suikoden, all of the fans would be bored. That's what was wrong with Suikoden IV. It had all of the basic elements that makes a Suikoden game (the 108 stars, Leknaat, Jeane and Viki, a war, a true rune, blahblahblah..) but, it didn't have extra little thingies added to make it a deep story, like the other games. My point to this is, every Tenkai has been a guy so far, but that doesn't mean it HAS to be a guy every single other time. The female could bring many new things into the story...which leads into my next point...

4.) A Female Tenkai would make a great story, with keeping some of the same traditions that we see every game. Yes, we could have our wars, Silverbergs (or someone directly related to them), True Runes, Leknaat, etc, etc...but it would be great to see what differences there are through the eyes of a female. There could be some conflict throughout the entire game where people don't truly believe in the female Tenkai just because she's a woman...then, BAM!! She leads an army and devours the enemy army/nation. It would be great. Also, some characters would not join until they realized the girl was strong enogyh *coughLORELAIcough*. It would make one hell of a game.

Of course, most of this is my opinion. And soonder or later, Jeane and Viki will be the Tenkai sometime.

*one vote for a female Tenkai*
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dzerassa wrote
Quote:
In fact, I see more RPGs with female leads than I do other games, and they're not always meant to be all sexy with huge boobular things all over....

You do, really? I must confess I can't remember many games, even RPGs in which the hero is a woman. I believe still it's the most time the same boring thing, you are playing the guy. Even today when women become an always bigger getting percentage of the playing people, still most games are about a man or boy who either rescues the woman or girl or is accompanied by a female who often enough looks good/hot.

That worked in Final Fantasy 7 till 10, in Mystical Quest I believe, in Alundra and Grandia, in Legend of Dragoon, in Kingdom Hearts and in Breath of Fire. To tell the truth the only game I personally know in which really females are the lead is Final Fantasy X-2. I liked this game, but I wouldn't want the hero óf the next Suikoden to act this way. Is this a chliché? Do I pidgeonhole woman in video games? Yes, I fear that is what I am doing in some ways, because I don't want to play a female who acts girly-like. I would certainly buy the game, but I wouldn't like it.

On the other hand I don't need or want a woman who behaves like a guy, because that might in some cases look unnatural and it isn't right. If I play a woman she is supposed to feel and react different from a guy in some aspects and would probably come up with one or two ideas a guy wouldn't have thought of.

That means if it's handled right I am ready for a female Tenkai.

The Fool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: