Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is it finally time for a female Tenkai?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What gender will Suikoden 6's tenkai be?
Female
50%
 50%  [ 55 ]
Male
33%
 33%  [ 37 ]
Both?
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 109

Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Is it finally time for a female Tenkai? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the tail of the release of Suikoden 5 we have been introduced to the most recent in a long trend of Male Tenkai's. Over the Suikoden Series we've seen several tenkai's, all men. To go further I imply that a tenkai is the main character. Arguably Suikoden has a female lead in Chris from suikoden 3, but Thomas was tenkai and Chris wasn't the sole focus of the game.

In Suikoden 5 we see the arguably the most womanly hero to date in the Suikoden Series. Many of us were expecting him to be a woman, I know I was. Was that the first step in making way for the female lead? Suikoden would do it, they've been known to take some steps away from the norm in the RPG world. Is Suikoden 6 the setting for the female tenkai we've all been so anxiously awaiting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i really wouldn't mind, as long as they did it right. like a girl who is not afraid to fight and get bloody.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would not mind a female Tenkai. I enjoyed the Virginia-fronted Wild Arms 3 immensely.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You could argue that culturally, S5 had what you could consider a "female" Tenkai. After all, in Falena, it is the Princes who are good for nothing more than waving to crowds and marrying off to foreigners. I don't know if the writers intended it this way, but it was an interesting conclusion for me to come to.

If this female Tenkai ends up like the last female main Suikoden had, I'll pass. A beautiful super-strong warrior with a legion of fans and an aristocratic background who everyone loves really tends to grate on me. At least Odessa died before her self-righteousness could really get on my nerves.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When SV was first unveiled, I thought the prince was a female. I was hoping you'd be able to control a female tenkai, given it was in Falena. No dice. :(

Personally, I wish they'd get rid of the silent hero approach while still keeping the amount of dialouge choices SV has. I'd like to see a female tenkai who could talk and speak her mind for sure.
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's a good idea. it's funny that mostly men are having true runes....
i wouldn't mind chick wearing one
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Millia, Chriss, Sierra and Leknaat/Windy all have/had True Runes though I agree it's a little one sided. Though we don't know whether the Sindaar leader is a female and technically we don't even know Yuber's gender.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do we even know Yuber has a true rune?

Of course it's time there should be a girl Tenkai. There's no reason not to. The idea that it's debatable whether female protagonists are OK makes me very sad.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah it would be nice and i bet Konami has already a few thoughts in that direction..
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both? What does that mean? Like a... hermaphrodite?

A female Tenkai star is long overdue. Chris didn't really do it all. Sure, she was a female lead, but that's in a game where there were two other male leads plus a male Tenkai. Besides, Chris was in some ways a little too stereotyphical representative of the female gender. It felt like she was being made too weak in some aspects just because she was a woman. With Suikoden V, I thought we'd be finally getting a female Hero, but it was just a rather feminine hero... But perhaps we're getting there with two female main strategists and the strong roles of women in Suikoden V?
Kendo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they will stick with the male character.
The female sex belongs in the kitchen. note:kidding :p
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would definitely like to see a female protagonist. Chris was my Flame Champion in Suikoden III, mostly because I wanted to leave Geddoe with his True Lightning Rune and I didn't really care about Hugo. Still, though, she was hardly comparable to a Tenkai Star in Suikoden I, II, or IV, or V...or to Kyril in Suikoden Tactics. I'm kind of shocked that there hasn't been a female protagonist so far in the Suikoden series, honestly. I suppose Final Fantasy's only female protagonists were in Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy X-2...and there aren't many female leads in other games...just a few here and there, like Wild Arms 2.

I'd really love to see one in Suikoden VI though.

Quote:
Of course it's time there should be a girl Tenkai. There's no reason not to. The idea that it's debatable whether female protagonists are OK makes me very sad.

I agree entirely. It shouldn't even be a question of whether or not it's alright to have a female lead in an RPG game, of all things. I sort of thought it might be a female Tenkai in Suikoden V once I heard it was occuring in the Queendom of Falena, but as usual it's a Princely type. I don't even think he's all that effeminate really...no more than any of the others. He's just a kid.

Quote:
But perhaps we're getting there with two female main strategists and the strong roles of women in Suikoden V?

It's fair to say that there are some strong female characters in Suikoden V, like Lyon and Miakis, and Queen Arshtat...but Odessa was a fairly strong female character too. She was the leader of the Rebel Army, after all, until her untimely death. That was ten years ago, and we still haven't seen a female Tenkai. Female strategists...eh, I like Lucretia a lot, but the underdevelopment of characters in Suikoden IV kept me from appreciating Elenore. Hopefully all of that will change in Suikoden VI!

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kendo wrote:
I hope they will stick with the male character.
The female sex belongs in the kitchen. note:kidding :p

lol i couldn't agree more.

But, seriously I was really mad at Konami for not making the hero for suikoden V a female. But, after playing the game, I didn't mind at all.

However, I belive a female charater will create an awesome plot. So Common konami, make a game with a leading female charater!

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could care less. I've never held it against the lead character based on sex. Now if they had a tail... that's a completely different matter.

I never thought less of Xenosaga 1 or 2 because Shion was the lead character. I thought less of XS2 because it stunk... not because of Shion. Is it time... sure why not. Just as long as the game is good.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Hoodman

Saruzin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Xenosaga has serious girl powere w/ Shion in the lead KOS-MOS as kicking butt and Momo being ridiculously important to the story. but anywayz about suikoden a female lead would be excellent but whoever it was I think they would have to be like Odessa because I felt she's the best heroine in the Suikoden(edges out Ch.2 Chris from SIII yes she does) and I'm still waiting for Odessa to make a cameo

-There is neither a more trustworthy ally nor fearsome foe than you, Your Highness
- Shula Valya

-Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie - Shu
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: