Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A Suikoden without a True Rune
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vspirit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmmh, i think one of the main thing that sets Suikoden apart from the original story it's based loosely on IS the true runes. While it's not all what Suiko is about it is most definitely what sets it apart and the basis of most of its stories.

a super-rare rune...while the idea is plausible, what would be the point? a true rune is a true rune because it makes things happen, one way or another, and has its own will, so to speak, enough to at least choose a bearer it deems worthy enough to bear it. and that is why, like what some here are saying, the whole 108 SoD deal revolves around a true rune (or a fraction of it) and it's bearer/s, cos one doesn't become a bearer by chance. He becomes one when he has a mission to accomplish. The rune gives a more tangible substance towards the reasons behind a war and what people learn from it, and that, I feel, is what makes Gensou Suikoden the unique continual game epic, in terms of universe and timeline, that it is.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, in my opinion, after they come out with 27 games (Suikoden XXVII) they can do whatever the hell they please. Suikoden XXVII better bring back ALL 26 past Tenkai, though and by this point they better ALL have the True Runes presented in their respective games (IE Faroush SOMEHOW gets the Sun Rune). That would be cool! ^.^

(If Square-Enix keeps with the seperation they have, that would be around Final Fantasy 54 or so.)

Caduceus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People always said : Thomas wasn't the main Hero in Suikoden III, while it's true, but he was the TENKAI...

Suikoden III was the only game where the tenkai didn't have any powerful rune...

Anyway, Suikoden without true rune wouldn't be called Suikoden... I think the mainstream of Suikoden is about True Runes which affect human's destiny

When there is no true runes, then may be it would be Suikoden Tactics or something like that...

I think it might be cool if we have a tenkai star, who uses a 'seal rune'... his job was to seal a true rune...
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While not all the Tenkai have had True Runes in every games, all the Suikodens have had a character who holds a True Rune, half of a True Rune, or something directly connected to a True Rune. Also, not all True Runes are usable.

Suikoden I - SoulEater, Gate Rune, Dragon Rune, Sovereign Rune, Night Rune, Blue Moon Rune, Eightfold Rune.

Suikoden II - Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune (Rune of Beginning), Night Rune, Blue Moon Rune, Gate Rune half, True Wind Rune, True Earth Rune, SoulEater, Eightfold Rune.

Suikoden III - True Fire Rune, True Water Rune, True Lightning Rune, True Earth Rune, True Wind Rune, Night Rune, Gate Rune half, Eightfold Rune.

Suikoden IV - Rune of Punishment, SoulEater, Gate Rune half.

Suikoden V - Sun Rune, Dawn Rune, Twilight Rune, Star Rune.

I probably missed quite a few. But, even without a True Rune on one of the sides, Leknaat would show up to the Tenkai, and thus a True Rune would be in the game anyway, due to her Gate Rune half. The Suikoden games are meant toi be based after the original legend, but the stories in the games are much more based on Runes. It wouldn't be the same without a True Rune, or some Rune that is connected to a True Rune, in my opinion.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well i think that a suikoden with no True Rune would not be a suikoden, it would be a game with a storyline based on a war. Part of all of suikoden is to show ( in my opinion) the effect of them on the world of Suikoden, considering they are like the gods of the Suiko world. A game without them would be quite boring considering lots of things but mostly i would not like it because it would be impossible to cast some really cool spell in a battle but that is a minor reason.So i personally knightly pray to god that we do not have a Suikoden with no True Rune! :twisted:

Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I might be wrong, but isn't the essence of Suikoden the story about the Stars of Destiny? Isn't it about fate and people within the struggles of war? I personally think it would be strange to have a Suikoden-game without any new true rune or at least any true rune at all. I personally prefer fighter and don't like magicians much but as a kind of person. It would limit the possibilities, but I think it could make the overall story even more complex or maybe more authentic. It would more depend on tactics and more on every human being or whatever creature instead of a rune which is able to destroy half of a continent...

The Fool
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok so maybe what i said was wrong but it was my opinion so it really doesn't matter if i am right or wrong. Still i am going to say that i am quite sure that Suikoden is at least partially about the True Runes controlling everything in the world of Suikoden for example to be honest a boys will in Suikoden can not face the power of a True Rune ( unless for story wise purposes ofcourse.)

I am sorry if that was partially :off topic: but i felt it had to be said.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah... the game wouldn't sell. A good 80% of the populace's curiousity regard the True Runes. You wouldnt be able to have Leknaat or Yuber in that game either if there were to be no true runes at all.

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A Suikoden game without a true rune could still be done by the producers, but it would move away from the traditional storyline of having true runes be the main cause of conflict. To me i have always seen Suikoden games as having a true rune being a main cause of conflict between nations for power and control. Other than this i don't really see any reason for nations in the Suikoden world to have a conflict except for money, greed, pride, and to stop another nation from taking over.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think it would be a nice twist to have a game not feature a True Rune, but the fact is that it could not be a Suikoden game. Every aspect of the Suikoden World is wrapped around the idea of a True Rune. To not have one present would produce a game without a nucleus if derived in the Suikoden World. Even greed and pride are somehow related to the obtaining of a True Rune within the aspects of Suikoden. It is simply hard to imagine a Suikoden Game that does not feature at least one True Rune. Even the Suikogaidens and Tactics featured at least one True Rune. A Suikoden without a True Rune simply won't happen.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that the reason that the characters had the true runes is so they could affect destiny in there own way.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Inko wrote:
I thought that the reason that the characters had the true runes is so they could affect destiny in there own way.

That was definately Jowy's reason for taking on the Black Sword Rune.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just don't see it happening. The True Runes have always been the source of conflict one way or the other.

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And that could be said for Riou as well, but not for Lazlo or Luc. They did not choose to bear the true runes to affect anything it was already decided for them.

As proven in Suikoen II, true runes do not have to be the focal point of the story, but I doubt they would make a game where there aren't any true runes at all. Still, true runes aren't necessary for a good Suikoden game.
luc skywalker

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The concept could work and I would like to see it happen. But the story can be a quest to search for a true rune. For example, the true wind rune that was lost when Luc died in Suikoden III. There was a rumor that it was seen in the nameless lands or in Kanakan. The nations that wants to establish their dominance in the Suikoden world sent missionaries to find it. Then it scaled into a war between the nations when some of the missionaries were found dead. Then the producers of Suikoden will take it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: