Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V underrated/overrated characters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Suikoden V underrated/overrated characters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just wondering who everyone considers to be underrated or in some cases overrated....

I haven't made it that far in the game to give my full opinion yet...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I don't really know how most Suikoden fans perceive most of the characters, but the official guide grossly overrates Zerase, or at least her Star Rune. It states that the Star Rune "is the best offensive rune in the game," while it clearly isn't.

Level One: Twinkling Star; 300+ damage to one enemy

This is matched in damage by the Thunder Rune's Berserk Blow, which is also a level one spell. So, that spell certainly doesn't make the Star Rune "the best offensive rune in the game."

Level Two: Starry Stillness; Twenty percent chance of sleep and thirty percent chance of silence to all enemies

Starry Stillness doesn't even do damage. So, that spell certainly doesn't make the Star Rune "the best offensive rune in the game."

Level Three: Comet; 800+ damage to a column of enemies

As far as I know, no spell beats this completely, but Soaring Bolt does 900+ divided among enemies (and is a level three on the Lightning Rune, and a level two on the Thunder Rune), while the Rage Rune's level three, Explosion, does 700+ to all enemies, not just a column. So I hardly think that this qualifies the Star Rune as the "best offensive rune in the game."

Level Four: Meteor Shower; 1000+ damage to all enemies

This spell is utterly beaten by its counterpart on the Rage Rune, Final Flame. Final Flame does 1200+ damage to all enemies, while Meteor Shower only does 1000+ to the same amount of targets. So, for all intents and purposes, this spell is worthless.

So how does that make the Star Rune "the best offensive rune of the game?" :?
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe they're including its rather devastating effect on the battlefield? 30% of FULL hp damage to ALL enemies in range vs. Lightning's 30% of full hp damage to one enemy vs Fire's 40% of current hp damage to one enemy...

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Star Rune does get overestimated. But Zerase herself is a great character. She has the best (or barring that, top-flight) MAG growth, two free rune slots, and a physical attack that, at the very least, doesn't insult you for even bothering to use it. So, you don't like the Star Rune's level 2 spell? Put a Rage or Thunder on Zerase for a L2 attack spell, or stick a flowing rune on there, and give her Level 2 spells a use with Kindness Drops. She's flexible.

Speaking of flexibility, that's my main problem with Georg. Yes, he has a lot of HP, and his physical attack is good and all. Yes, when the planets align, he can get a double-attack and they are both double-criticals, and he'll down a boss in one attack. But using the Attack command is basically all Georg does. He doesn't have the defense of a Plate wearer like Belcoot, so you can't have him be your damage sink, and even if he could wear the heaviest armor, his amazing double-digit MDEF at level 60 would have him dropping in seconds to anyone with a magic attack. In terms of pure mileage, I get a lot more use out of Kyle, who does almost as much damage when set up right, and doesn't die when someone casts Breath of Ice.
siefer

6933 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From the little I have played...

Overrated: Sialeeds (well...at least in the beginning)
Underrated: Viki (Chain Magic is fun)

That's just what I think at least.

~Siefer
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree, Georg can tank better than heavy armour wearers because he's untouchable. He will parry, evade, weapon defend and counter. In arrow stance with a boost to his PDF, he's a one man wrecking crew. That said, his MDF is horrible and late game he takes a beating. He is at times the best character in the game or just a decent character... overrated? ehhh.... I don't know.

Most overrated is tough, nobody has really begun singing praises on anything except Georg and Zerase's rune; it's hard to figure out who's rated highly by others so that I can disagree with them. Zerase's rune isn't all that great in battle, but her rune as a war unit is amazing. Couple her with the "Extra" support skill and she can seriously hurt anything with that rune.

One underrated character is Mathias. He's an M ranged character that can wear heavy armour. He also has a decent ATK, SPD and MAG stat. He suffers from the Mow Down permanent skill, but that's about it. He's a solid M range character that can tank when needed, use a water rune to heal and can attack pretty well too. He also shares an unite with Isabelle. Basically, he's an S range character who has an M range making him much better.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some would say being able to equip heavy armour on a M range character is a bit of a waste.

Zerase is definitley overrated in terms of magic, nobody's been talking about Jeane or Levi because of Zerase. :)
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
Some would say being able to equip heavy armour on a M range character is a bit of a waste.

How does the ability to equip better armour than characters in the same range seem wasteful to you? Personally, I consider that a strength, but I am curious what your thoughts are on it.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Georg has a really impressive parry and evasion rate. However, Belcoot and Richard are the same way, and they don't have the hideous MDEF problems that he has. That's why I say Georg is overrated- yes, Georg is good. But he is not an invincible killing machine or a limitless damage sink like some people seem to regard him as.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Josephine is a REALLY underrated character in my opinion.
siefer

6933 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Josephine is a REALLY underrated character in my opinion.

In what way? I have her, but never really justified using her.

~Siefer
Jeanemon

23356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly think that people over-rate Jeane. (Except in sexiness. Damn, she's fine.) Her magic is less than Zerase, and so is her speed. One of the best things about Zerase is her speed. Combined with the last spell on her rune, she kills a lot of annoying monsters on the first turn. That's why I prefered Luc over Mazus in II. What's the use in having a spellcaster if they die before they can get a spell off?

Of course, all of that is meaningless since I put her in my party every time I get the chance. Damn my horrible fangirlism.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

She's got pretty good attack (her red brooch rune does about 500-600 damage alone), decent magic. I haven't used her in awhile so I'll bring up her stats later.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:
hawkthanatos wrote:

How does the ability to equip better armour than characters in the same range seem wasteful to you? Personally, I consider that a strength, but I am curious what your thoughts are on it.

Well it's wasteful because short rangers are the characters that take all the hits so it would be more useful to have better speed on Mathias by equipping lighter armour than being slow but well defended. It's not a weakness since you don't HAVE to equip heavy armour but I think it would be more useful on an S ranger.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used Josephine a lot as a stop-gap mage before getting people like Viki, Zerase and Jeane. But after getting them I only used her as I'm leveling up or just making money. She still has one of my Rage Runes on her tho. And since I love to spam the Prince and Lyon's unite attack, using Josephine's Red Broach Rune is anathema to me.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: