Suikoden United and Informational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Leknaat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing about Leknaat is that in Suikoden I and II, you are told explicitly that the Rune of Life and Death and the Rune of Beginning are two of the 27 True Runes and so on and so forth. In Suikoden III, you of course know that all of the True Elemental Runes are True Runes, because it's explicitly said, and already known by most of the characters. In Suikoden IV, your hero is cursed with the Rune of Punishment and Leknaat shows up to tell you about how it's a cursed Rune that kills people and the like.

Minor spoilers follow, as I feel the need to talk about Suikoden V somewhere in my post.

In Suikoden V, however, as far as I am now nobody has ever actually explicitly said that the Sun Rune is a True Rune. It's been hinted at, theorized at, and out of game it quite certainly is a True Rune. However, it's also not being borne by the Prince, it's locked away in a Sealed Room in Sol-Falena. The Dawn Rune is not a True Rune so far as I know, nor is the Twilight Rune, nor are they split elements of a True Rune like Bright Shield and Black Sword. I can't even see a reason why Leknaat would bother showing up as far as the story has progressed.

I'm not terribly upset, as I think of Leknaat as a fairly boring character to begin with, but that's just me. All she seems to do is arrive and give out the Tablet of Stars, and then (as Siefer said) say a few cryptic phrases about your 'destiny' and 'bringing the Stars together'. At the same time though, I can see why you'd be upset about a fairly consistent recurring character in Suikoden (only absent from Tactics) being relegated to such a minor role in Suikoden V. They apparently decided to give Jeane an actual part in the story instead.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They DO state that the Sun Rune is a True Runes. It's in the Dawn Times' Issue number 21, under "Portraits of the Enemy." The exact line goes something like "The Sun Rune is a symbol of the royal family of Falena, and is one of the 27 True Runes that form the foundation of the world."

So, yes, they do explicitly state it, just in a surreptitious way. Travis is, after all, the most competent journalist ever, and he never seems to be wrong. (Oh, for a newspaper like that! But I digress.)

They also state that Dawn and Twilight are not True Runes, but that they are special runes that serve as a protective measure both for and against the Sun Rune's power.
siefer

6933 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Another thing about Leknaat is that in Suikoden I and II, you are told explicitly that the Rune of Life and Death and the Rune of Beginning are two of the 27 True Runes and so on and so forth. In Suikoden III, you of course know that all of the True Elemental Runes are True Runes, because it's explicitly said, and already known by most of the characters. In Suikoden IV, your hero is cursed with the Rune of Punishment and Leknaat shows up to tell you about how it's a cursed Rune that kills people and the like.

Minor spoilers follow, as I feel the need to talk about Suikoden V somewhere in my post.

In Suikoden V, however, as far as I am now nobody has ever actually explicitly said that the Sun Rune is a True Rune. It's been hinted at, theorized at, and out of game it quite certainly is a True Rune. However, it's also not being borne by the Prince, it's locked away in a Sealed Room in Sol-Falena. The Dawn Rune is not a True Rune so far as I know, nor is the Twilight Rune, nor are they split elements of a True Rune like Bright Shield and Black Sword. I can't even see a reason why Leknaat would bother showing up as far as the story has progressed.

I'm not terribly upset, as I think of Leknaat as a fairly boring character to begin with, but that's just me. All she seems to do is arrive and give out the Tablet of Stars, and then (as Siefer said) say a few cryptic phrases about your 'destiny' and 'bringing the Stars together'. At the same time though, I can see why you'd be upset about a fairly consistent recurring character in Suikoden (only absent from Tactics) being relegated to such a minor role in Suikoden V. They apparently decided to give Jeane an actual part in the story instead.

SPOILER:

Leknaat appears in Suikoden V and states that the Sun Rune is in fact a true rune (in fact, she mentions that it is a particularly powerful true rune). She then goes into her spiel about "destiny" and forces Zerase to give you the Tablet of Stars. This is the ironic thing I mentioned in my previous post.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think one of the Old Books talks about the Sun Rune being a True Rune as well. Along with its "relationship" with the Night Rune (a.k.a. Star Dragon Sword).

siefer wrote:
Actually, I feel that Zerase filled in the role left by Luc (or preceeded? I forgot when Luc/Leknaat actually joined up) as the arrogant, powerful mage.

I guess that comparison works, too. But Zerase is so directly involved with the runes and the events going on, I think of her more as someone similar to Leknaat.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: