Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Strongest Characters Guide
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Strongest Characters Guide Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a pretty good guide that tells you which charcters are powerful (and thus good to use). It comes from the Suikoden V entry in the Japanese "Wiki" (Separate from Wikipedia).

Falena's 18 most powerful fighters
Because you need three teams of six characters to blaze through the game, if you're unsure who you should use, simply follow this guide.

The two Musts
These characters are required during the plot most of the time. For that reason they tend to accumulate more skill points, but use these points wisely.

Hero
All of his stats are slightly above average, and nothing stands out. He tends to be slower than the better fighters. However, most of his skills have high max, and he gets SS for the "King's Way". Two free rune slots.

Lyon

Worse MAG than the hero but her speed is much faster. Her skill potential is also very high.
She will be unavailable for a period of time, but is available for the final battle. Two free rune slots.

The three sword saints of Falena

These characters clearly have higher skill/potential than other characters. Their attack power goes beyond other characters, and they tend to be easy to use.

Georg

Attack, Tech, and Luck is high. His Killer Rune gives him higher damage and higher rates for double criticals. He can not multi-attack, but he can still dish out incredible damage. His HP is also high and he parrys well, thus he can be a good tank for your party. However, his MDEF is unrealistically low, and he can be wiped out from the last bosses' magic in a single hit. One of his skill slots is taken by "battle training" which gives him only one skill slot, but he can get SS for the "Bright Mirror" epic skill, so he has great potential. He is not available for most of the game though, and can not participate in the final battle during your first playthrough. One free rune slot.

Richard

His Tech is incredibly high, and his Attack, Evade, and Speed is exceptional. His skills tend to max out at S or SS, so considing all that, he can be the strongest fighter. However, his HP and MDEF is average, so he can be easily defeated against magic-using opponents. One free rune slot.

Hazuki

Her speed and luck is very high, and she tends to dish out a lot of multi attacks and criticals. Her HP and tech is also high, making her a bit more reliable than Richard. Her skill potential is less than that of Richard, but it is high neverthless. One free rune slot.

The three shields of Falena
These are characters who have nearly the same power as the three sword saints, and can wear heavy armor. Give these characters the firefly rune and they will protect everyone else perfectly.

Galleon
His HP and MDEF is high, and he can wear heavy armor. He can also get SS for the "indestructible" epic skill, so he is a pure tank. His attack power is high, but he is slow--which means he will rarely multi-attack. His tech is on the low side so he will rarely counterattack, so he somewhat lacks in flair. One of his slots is occupied by the "thrash" skill, and he has one free rune slot.

Dinn
He has higher tech than Galleon and thus counterattacks more often. However, he has less attack power and luck. He has two free rune slots, giving him some versatility. His skill potential is average. He is often unavailable due to being involved with the plot very often.

Belcoot
Higher skill than Dinn, and counterattacks very often. His speed is also average, and you can see him multi-attack more often than the two above. HP is similar to Galleon and Dinn, but he has lower MDEF, and thus he is worse against magic-using enemies. His skill potential is average for common skills, but he tends to get S for epic skills, so he's a long shot, but if you train him completely, he is unstoppable. He has one free rune slot.

The six archmages
These are the best among all magician type characters. These characters have severe restrictions on what armor they can wear.

Viki
Due to her "Multi-Cast" skill, her firepower far exceeds all other magicians. However, her right hand is occupied by an unremovable Blinking Rune, restricting her from the Drain Magic Rune. Her skill in Multi-Cast goes to SS, while she is S in all others.

Zerase

Her Star Rune is nearly as powerful as Tunder and Rage Runes, and her right hand is a free slot, allowing her to use the Drain Magic Rune. Although one of her skill slots is taken by "magic training," she can go up to SS in most other magic-related skill. Her MAG and MDEF is highest among magician types, and her speed is also very high.

Jeane

Her head slot is occupied by the Charm Rune, but her right hand is open, and thus she can Magic Drain. She can not use any epic skills, but her MAG skill can go up to SS. She has the "Rune Mastery" skill, making her a good support character.

Levi
He has 3 free rune slots, and thus can use Drain Magic. One of his skill slots is occupied by "magic training" but all of his common and spic skills go up to either S or SS.

Eresh
Her head slot is taken by Blue Gate and right hand is occupied by the Resurrection Rune, making her somewhat lackluster--she can't use the Drain Magic rune. One of hier skill slots is occupied by "magic training" but all of her common and epic skills go up to either S or SS. Her MAG and MDEF is one of the highest among all mages.

Bernadette
Despite her non-mage like appearance, her MAG can be as high as Levi. She also has three free slots and thus can Drain Magic. Her HP is also higher than other mages, although her MDEF is lower. She also has both skill slots available unlike the other mage types, giving her more versatility. However, her skill potential is slightly lower, with a max of S with the "Defeat Evil" epic skill and A for most others.

The Miscellaneous Four
These are characters who may not as be as powerful as the above, but have certain qualities that make them useful neverthless.

Cathari
Her Attack, Tech, Luck, and Speed is beyond human, and thus she can dish out high damage at incredible speeds. However, her weapon doesn't allow multi-hits. Her HP and MDEF is very low along with her DEF, which means some sort of way to increase her defensive abilities is necessary. She can have SS for Agility and the "Fast Foot" spic skill, but this is somewhat pointless given her inability to multi-attack. S in attack and "Wind Forest Fire Mountain" epic skill would be a better choice. Her "Godspeed Rune" allows 100% chance to run away from battles, and lets you dash faster on the map and inside towns/dungeons (this is deafault from the 2nd playthrough).

Zegai
His attack is very high, and he has average tech. However, he is slow and thus rarely multi-attacks. His HP is very high, but he can not wear heavy armor, and can only wear heavy gauntlets and boots besides light armor. He can't counterattack, and has average MDEF. This makes him a middle-of-the-road fighter, and it's hard to find a good use for him, although on the flipside, he can be used in any situation. Although one of his skill slots is taken by "battle training," his skill in the "Bright Mirror" skill can go to SS. He has two free rune slots, and his personal rune can be quite useful (it can heal him and give him fury status). He's also available early on in the game, and can be used at the Lake Ceras dungeon, which is one of the toughest places early in the game.

Raven
His "thief" skill goes up to SS, and thus he helps out with your potch income. His attack power is also not that bad. His "Raven Rune" is very useful in battles that take place indoors, and his evade is very high. He can also go to SS in in the agility skill. One free rune slot.

Lu
Her tech, speed, and luck is very high, leading to many multi-attacks and criticals. Howeever, each of her attacks tend to be weak. Her HP is very low, but her MDEF is high.
She can get SS for the "Fast Foot" epic skill, but her attack skill can only go up to C, so it is impossible to augument her low attack. One free rune slot.

Characters with 3 rune slots
Characters with three rune slots can achieve incredible damage by combining runes such as Boost, Double Edge, Rage, Strength, Berserk, and Killer. Out of all of the three free slotted characters, here are those that have high speed. Having two or more of these with the right configuration will result in most enemies getting defeated quickly. However, many of the runes required are not sold, or are extremely expensive, making it hard to achive the right configuration. The characters listed here are mostly "fighter-mage" type characters, so you can also give them magic runes if you wish. Also, one warning for the final battle is to not use the berserk rune, because that will make your character attack the last boss' companions instead of the boss itself.

Killey
He can not multi-attack but his attack tends to be quite powerful. He's also fast, and his attacks rarely miss, making him solidly reliable. His weapon is also L range, so you don't need to give him expensive armor. His skills have average potential, and the "Find Treasure" skill being fixed makes him somewhat limited.

Miakis
She is fast as Richard and tends to multi-attack, so she can have incredible firepower. Her tech is also high enough to not worry about the penalties of a berserk rune. Her skill potential is also very high. As long as you are prepared to invest a lot of skill points into her, she will become one of the best fighters.

Norma
She is very useful for gaining potch due to her "Find Potch" skill that can be increased to SS. This skill is effective even if she is in the support slot. Her stats are similar to that of Miakis, but her skill potential is much lower.

Kyle
Compared to Miakis, he has higher attack and evade, but is slower and has worse luck. He has a relatively low chance of multi-attacks and criticals, but once his skill in agility and attacks is brought to S rank, he can be quite powerful. He's also available early on in the game, and is among the first real S-range fighters. His water rune and ability to parry can make him an ideal tank early in the game.

Loralai
Compared to Miakis, her speed is similar and she has higher attack power. However, her accuracy is low so she is not a good candidate for berzerk or fury runes. Also, she tends to get countered by enemies who can parry, so beware. Against enemies who have low evade, she would be a queen of destruction. Her skill potential is rather limited, and it would be advised to simply raise her "Tech" skill to A. Her other slot is occupied by "Find Treasure."

Last edited by Vextor on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome, thanks for the list. I missed Richard and Cathari in my playthrough. Looks like I missed out on two of the best.

One of the best things about Galleon is that he's a M range fighter and aside from hero, lyon and maybe mathias, there aren't any decent ones.

I used Miakis as a support mage with Earth, sheild and Gale. I guess I should take her down the melee route this time.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or you can go middle-of-the-road and give her one magic rune and two combat-oriented runes. It depends on what formation you plan to use. In terms of Miakis, she is rarely parried by enemies who have high parry rates, so she's a good attacker, but using her as a tank can be problematic if you load her with a bunch of combat runes because they have a tendency to decrease your character's DEF (such as Strength and Double Edge Rune).
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed, without any attack runes, I found her more than adequate as an attacker, Usually two hits and a unite. That was part of the reason why I went the magic route with her. She does seem very versatile though. I think I will go middle of the road and stick her with earth or flowing. Earth's first level spell was a great help in boss fights, but maybe I should just carry scrolls for that instead.

I never could figure out what to do with Lorelai. Her speed made her appear to be ideal as backup healing but she couldn't really attack very well. If she had 2 skill slots, I bet she'd be a lot better.

There has to be a hidden gem in the game somewhere... Like Hai Yo (S2) or Yuiri (S3). Someone who with a little bit of equipment/rune/skill manipulation can become a powerhouse. Hmm...

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goesch is one candidate. He's a power fighter who has high HP and attack, and his special skill allows him to attack multipe enemies with one attack. They MAY be very handy, but I've only used him for a few hours so far, so I am not quite sure.

Otherwise, I found Moroon to be quite powerful, and I like how the battle music changes when you have him in the party.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read about the 18 Strongest Characters on the wiki after I had finished the game and was pleasantly surprised that most of them were the ones I really liked to place in my party. Raven tho never really made it with me as I couldn't stand his "I'm the greatest!" personality ^^0.

I kept Lorelei with her Drain rune and slapped a Cyclone rune on her with some of the wind stat/attack enhancing equipment and kept her as attacker/reserve mage. Though I'm sure much better use could come from her.

Moroon... agreed he's quite good but unlike Sars my ears just couldn't stand his 'remix' of the battle music. It gave me a headache so I always switched him out once I had gotten him leveled up.

I used a lot of drain accessories on Miakis so she'll take back whatever HP she lost as a tank, but still I tended to use her not exactly at 'point position' (like Dinn, Belcoot) but as 'supporting frontliner' more to the flanks.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Alarice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found Shigure to be a highly exceptional attacker. He has great attack, evades or parries enemy attacks half the time, and great speed for attacking multiple times. I currently have both Shigure and Richard in my party and I have to say his combat capabilities rivals Richard's.
AKUMA X

12025 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

recommened setup for killey??? i just dont know what setup is best for him
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Goesch is one candidate. He's a power fighter who has high HP and attack, and his special skill allows him to attack multipe enemies with one attack. They MAY be very handy, but I've only used him for a few hours so far, so I am not quite sure.

Otherwise, I found Moroon to be quite powerful, and I like how the battle music changes when you have him in the party.

I'm gonna have to agree. Goesch ain't the kinda guy you screw with. I mean...his stats are all fairly good and he can wear heavy armor. He works well for me as a tank, I just need to find a good rune setup...Maybe Fury and Strike back/Counter...Anyway. Only complaint is he's kinda slow, but it seems okay since he works as a good Tank.

And I dunno, maybe it's just me...but Lilei seems to be rather well rounded and good, but I'm only halfway through. So I dunno how much my opinion is worth on the subject there.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the list here, Sars. I really appriciate it.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Eresh
Her head slot is taken by Blue Gate and right hand is occupied by the Resurrection Rune, making her somewhat lackluster--she can't use the Drain Magic rune. One of hier skill slots is occupied by "magic training" but all of her common and *beep* skills go up to either S or SS. Her MAG and MDEF is one of the highest among all mages.

Is Eresh better than Euram then?
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well you can use Eresh as a party member and in war battles while Euram you can only use him in war battles.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scott wrote:

And I dunno, maybe it's just me...but Lilei seems to be rather well rounded and good, but I'm only halfway through. So I dunno how much my opinion is worth on the subject there.

Early on, I found her a reliable member of my group, but her use started to fade as time went on. I believe the only problem is that she's an S range character, of which there are way too many. Had she of been an M range unit, she probably would've been more useful... the only real thing she lacks is speed.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Taleria

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The one problem I have with Zerase is her embarassingly low PDF coupled with the fact that there is very little to no armor you can purchase for her. I know she's a L-range fighter, but I found all of this infuriating when I had to go against archers in Doraat. They always aimed for Zerase...
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't completed the game thus far, however I'm a huge fan of Belcoot. Even without "building him up," he's simply amazing. I've done 2000 damage using his rune without really focusing on his character too much. He also parries and counterattacks constantly (more often than not, actually). His downfall, as Sars mentioned is his Magic defense, however that is something that can be remedied with the large number of magic defense improving items in the game.

In most regular battles I'll use that arrow formation where he's the only guy in front and the rest of my party is in the back. In that configuration, attackers simply can't touch him, while everyone else takes potshots at the enemy.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can anyone tell me if Yahr get's a head rune slot?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: