Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What're Suikoden V's biggest issues to you? (minor spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ashley Riot wrote:
Noted. This actually makes me wonder if it's possible to get all the Sun equipment as well as the other items in the final dungeon, then backtrack back to Luserina and back out.

I think its definitely possible though I've never tried it. My guess is unless you trigger the scene in the room where the 3 parties meet up again you can probably turn back. The 3 mid-bosses will probably reset though.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tried it, and yes, you can bring the Sun gear and everything else in the ruins out with you. Well now, that's a few points knocked back up!

Still a shame about the lack of a save point at least near the end, though.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried it in order to maximize items being carried over in my save. Indeed, you can turn back as long as you don't get all 3 groups into the final room. However, the bosses do re-spawn, so you will have to fight them again.

And does the Sun equipment carry over? I thought it didn't (since it's so good) so I left it on my hero when fighting the final boss. Did I just mess up something real bad?

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope, the Sun Gear doesn't carry over even if you have it in Storage.
Maddoc

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I've only very barely noticed the load times, but there is one huge problem that really killed some of the game for me.

'Bosses'

The problem isn't neccesarily in their power level, because I find that if they get a chance to act, they can occasionally deal a fair bit of damage to my party members. The problem lies in the fact that they very rarely get to act at all.

I haven't gone to any great lengths to 'power' my party up to any ridiculous degree, I've by and large not even bothered using rune combinations that would give my characters someodd x8 damage, though I have recruited and do use some of the more powerful characters. But with all of this in mind, I find that the average lifespan for boss encounters in this game is still roughly one, or maybe one and a half turns. These battles would have been much more climactic if they had beefed up the bosses HP by a great, great deal. For most bosses I've run into, I think if they had at least quadrupled their HP totals, it would have made for a better battle.

And then finally, even if people did want to power through the boss fights in a few seconds, there are still the abovementioned rune combinations that would -still- drop them in a turn or two even if they had vastly larger amounts of HP.

All in all though, despite the big deal I make out of it, it's a pretty minor complaint and I'm still satisfied with the game as a whole.
pc234

Eternal Levantine

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

not letting me use my unofficial third party memory card >.<
my official card got full ~_~ i had to delete my soul calibur 3 save file for this game -_-
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The biggest Suikoden 5 issue that i have experienced is the way in which you recruit characters from the Stars Of Destiny. Half the time you need to have special prerequisites to recruit some of these characters, and i do not think i will be able to recruit all characters without the help of a guide. I mean with Gavaya, the guys standing right there on Raftfleet and you need to specifically have Jeane, Sialeeds, and Nelis to recruit him. I would have never been able to figure that out without the help of a guide. This goes the same for other characters such as Alhazred, Nelis, Yahr, Chisato, Nakula and others.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Character recruitment in Suikoden V has never been an issue for me. In fact, I even like it. I even liked the hard ones like Sairoh, and the easy to miss ones like Oboro, Shigure, Sagiri, Nakula and Cathari. I think it's a big step up from the character recruitment of Suikoden IV wherein you only have to talk to the characters to recruit them, and thus they make for lame excuses for joining your army. At least in Suikoden V, you have to do something for a certain character for them to join your army.

On the topic of the issues of Suikoden V, the biggest issue I had with Suikoden V is the camera. The horribly placed camera angles, and the useless zoom function made the game's presentation less spectacular. Yeah, sure, they do give you the entire view of a certain place. But I never really liked seeing a lot of black emptiness in the background. Konami could have gone with Suikoden IV's camera angles (which I think is the best for an RPG game) for Suikoden V, but they didn't.

Well, that is the only issue I have with Suikoden V. Other issues such as loading time and random encounters didn't really bother me that much.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Missable characters can prove to be completely frustrating at points, starting a new game and then getting past a certain point can really annoy you if you miss a character. Estrise can be missed out completely for a lot of the game, making you miss a few characters.
crushedvelvet

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with the final dungeon save point issue.

I also panicked a bit when I defeated the three mini bosses and got to the room just before the final boss because I had used a lot of my spells on those bosses and thought I wouldn't have any to use on the final boss.

There were only a few times I really had an issue with the camera angles and it was mostly wandering around Sol Falena, Twilight Forest and Doraat because at some points my view was completely obscured by the building or foliage and I didn't know which was I was going.

The load screens were a bit of a problem, as were the overabundance of random encounters in some areas. The music was fantastic and some of the cutscenes were brilliant.

I'm really starting to consider Suiko 5 as my fave game in the series, but I think I will have to replay the others to confirm that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sydnee

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only issues that annoys me are the following:

Complicated character recruitment: I did make it to Doraat Siege when I discover that I missed a lot of characters. I searched for an earlier save, I played and it's still not good. I think I played about 5 times of Jeane, Roy, Bernadette quest and just to find out that I missed some guys. Oboro too, I missed him and so his crew and Nakula. It might easy for other people but now for me......:(

Camera Angle: The worst camera angle in Suikoden games. I missed some box beacuse of this feature (zoom doesn't help).

Loading: Especially when saving. It makes playing slower and to think SIV is too short. IMO.

Mediocrity: Past Suiko musicians don't need such orchestra...Now I can't hear some music. Screw mediocrity!!!!!

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Despite what I've heard from some people about Suikoden V being oh so great, I did have a few problems with it. Maybe more than a few.

For one, some of the character recruitment was kind of ridiculous. Even though it sometimes makes sense, I hate missable characters, especially to the degree they have them in this game. One or two would be easy enough to deal with, but... ack, they have many many more than one or two missables. Then, since we have missable characters, we have the more specific problems with the window of time and the location. One good example is Alhazred, who falls victim to the problem mentioned above about Estrise being possible to miss for most of the game. Combine that with the fact that he apparently (if the info I read is right) can't be recruited after certain events at Sable. That's not such a great time window, really... essentially, unless you're lucky, bad with directions, or like exploring, you'll miss him, because he's in a town that's barely mentioned and out of the way, for a limited amount of time. I only got him because I got lost... Anyway, this wouldn't be as bad if it were only a couple characters, but it's a lot of characters. Some of them can be missed for the stupidest reasons (Why the heck does it matter whether or not I sail in or teleport?), which is just not good at all. Heck, in the case of Oboro, if you miss him, you won't know until so late in the game that you likely don't have a backup save to go back to. Yuck.

I didn't much like the boss difficulty, either. I mean, a lot of those were fights against groups of opponents. Unfortunately, this means that the fight is easily ended by using Fire Magic to cast explosion a few times. I think I pretty much beat every boss fight like that in the same way... with a round or two of Explosion, Final Flame, Thunder Storm, Meteor Shower, or some sort of combo magic, followed by whatever strong magic I had left to beat the tar out of the boss (Furious Blow, Comet, Soaring Blot, leftovers of the first turn magic). The only one that was any threat was against Jidan Guisu, because his group hits hard on turn 1, but once you survive that and hit back harder, even that's no problem. Anyway, it's not good when most boss fights are constructed and handled in the same way.

I also really disliked quite a few things about the final dungeon, including not having a save point inside or at the end. One reason is because I ended up having a choice between two endings, and I'd rather not redo the dungeon to get the other one (OK, so it's better than replaying the game, but still...). Also, one of the minibosses killed party members at the rate of 1 per turn (Gee, maybe a required miniboss being stronger than the end boss should have been rethought...), and having to redo the whole dungeon because of that would not have been fun. I also seem to remember not being able to use a few characters (I would have like to bring Zweig with, actually...), which was slightly annoying.

Those were the main problems I had with the game. Minor ones I had include camera angles (At least there was a zoom, but still annoying), the nonremovable skills (fortunately, those were usually on really good characters like Zerase and Georg, so not a huge problem), some of the cutscenes (Merging those to avoid multiple load times would have helped)... well, yeah. I also agree with the above about the music selections being too hard to unlock (And heck, I wish I could have at least used it to change the castle music, not just the music in that room temporarily).

Heck, despite the fact that I can be longwinded, I shouldn't be able to go on at such length about things that were wrong with this game. Ugh. It was still good, but most of these could have been fixed without too many problems.
SuikoGator

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked Suikoden V. Not as much as 1 or 2. That said my probelms with this game...

1. Lucretia... shes too good. Or maybe just the way they designd the story made it too easy. Past suikoden games you feel like the underdog. From the get go I felt like the enemy was the actual underdog. The game loses the classic suikoden "epic" feel because of this. Really my favorite part of this game was after the Coup and when you are on the run...

2. Formulaic... First, go get this town to join your cause. Then, go get this town to join you, next is this town... booooring. You could tell they tried, what with Kyle's hometown events and it's burning etc, but they failed. At least in Suikoden 2 when you had to do this it was fun, exciting, interesting, and it flowed with the story rather than seeming to interupt it.

4. Some menu issues. I don't remember exactly, but Equipping items, moving items between characters, seeing effects of equipping items, using items, not being able to equip from the item list, needing a seperate equip list for that, etc. Like I said I don't remember the specifics but it was annoying.

3. Intangibles... Can't really describe this aspect but... it just wasn't as touching/emotional/epic overall for me as SI and SII.

How many great characters/personalities are there in this game that I would be ecstatic about seeing in S6. Kyle... maybe? He's the closest thing to it, but still kinda a far shot.

The burning of the Village of the Elves or the burning of the Beaver Village. Nuff said. Was anyone influenced emotionally by this incident? At all?

Anticlimatic endings anyone? Not just the VERY ending or the ending boss or the ending cinematics. Really the whole downward action and resolution of the story was just plain anticlimatic.

Last thing, nobody has mentioned this yet but it really pissed me off. The world map. wtf. I still don't know where cities are in realtion to each other after playing the game twice. I suppose part of this could be because of all the rivers and how it made certain areas difficult to access and the river was part of the story and the setting but... seriously, I had no sense of scale/scope/location etc and as a result my enjoyment of the world and the story suffered.

And the camera angle didn't really bother me :) Closer to SI/II the better.
crushedvelvet

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SuikoGator wrote:

Anticlimatic endings anyone? Not just the VERY ending or the ending boss or the ending cinematics. Really the whole downward action and resolution of the story was just plain anticlimatic.

Last thing, nobody has mentioned this yet but it really pissed me off. The world map. wtf. I still don't know where cities are in realtion to each other after playing the game twice. I suppose part of this could be because of all the rivers and how it made certain areas difficult to access and the river was part of the story and the setting but... seriously, I had no sense of scale/scope/location etc and as a result my enjoyment of the world and the story suffered.

I have to agree with the last two comments. I didn't enjoy the endings as much as I could have. I liked the multiple endings factor, how you actions can sometimes affect the overall ending. The problem really was that it seemed they added the last dungeon to pad it out. They could have easily put the last boss within the Sealed Room.

I also would have liked certain cutscenes included in the ending, from various characters depending on who you recruited, like Oboro reporting that all remaining Nether Gate members have been removed from the city or taken into custody for example.

The map caused me a bit of trouble from time to time. I think the problem is that when you recruit the mapmaker character you didn't get a 'Suiko Map' as a reference to where you were going. I think in previous games where you had a world map to roam round you could press select to see a full version of the map so you could say 'i need to carry on southwest to visit this place'. I remember at least one occasion when I was looking for Sable and ended up in Estrise for some strange reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Freyjadour

Genkaku

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK maybe im just really not looking into the game enough, but i loved every aspect of this game.

Camera angels: honestly i had no problem with it, some people are acting as if you couldnt see anything. (alryt ill give you the zoom was a waste of time, but hey dont use it)

World map: No idea whats wrong with that, i just completed the game for the second time and i know well enough where stuff is.

Characters: YES YES recruiting characters is hard, in my opinion only slightly harder than Suiko 1 and 2 (iv never played 3 as we dont get it in england), the less said about 4 the better. But if it werent hard it wouldnt be suikoden, people say Estrise was never visited in the game and so recruiting character was impossible. All i can say is play the game properly. In my second go i managed to get all 108 stars, yh it werent easy....you know how i did it???

EFFORT, it took me about 90 hours (compared to 50 hours the first time), and it was rewarding, im mean some of them were so hard to get but when you spend 7 hours looking for a character and finally get them.....best, biggest hard on ever.

OK the load screens bad, not as bad as some people make out but yh ok worst factor of the game.

CANT TEST THE MUSIC IT WAS FANTASTIC< GOOD AS SUIKO 1 and 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: