Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What're Suikoden V's biggest issues to you? (minor spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stampede wrote:
She eventually moves to the final dungeon, which is not only more inconvenient, it has random encounters. Go you!

Go to the final dungeon and make it the area where you have to split into 3 parties, instead of making your way through the dungeon, return to where Luserina is standing at the entrance of the dungeon and talk to her. Select the option "retreat for now". Luserina will return to her regular place in the castle until you go to the final dungeon again. That's the only way around the 'Luserina is staying at the Sun Palace' bit.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?

Last edited by melange on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great game and it's better than SuikoIII and IV, but here are some issues I have:

Empty Spaces/Houses: While I was happy to see you could enter houses and that the cities were big, but it sucks that most houses only have one NPC and nothing to explore, no chests or anything.
Camera: Another complaint here for the camera. I kept getting lost in Sol-Falena because I was trying to get to the RUne Shop and I did'nt see the bridge that went over to it.
and Menu: Menu's okay, but it does'nt appear right away when i push the Square button.

Loading timesare'nt a problem for me because I went thorough Xenosaga II and that desensitized me to load times. Cutscenes are much better also and are'nt boring. So there are alot of imporvements that override the technical issues.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

melange wrote:
Stampede wrote:
She eventually moves to the final dungeon, which is not only more inconvenient, it has random encounters. Go you!

Go to the final dungeon and make it the area where you have to split into 3 parties, instead of making your way through the dungeon, return to where Luserina is standing at the entrance of the dungeon and talk to her. Select the option "retreat for now". Luserina will return to her regular place in the castle until you go to the final dungeon again. That's the only way around the 'Luserina is staying at the Sun Palace' bit.

Oh thank goodness! I was not looking forward running through Sol Falena that often. Thanks for letting me know everybody!

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the game has the best overworld music of the series, edging out even further by a hair, but frequent encounter rate keeps you out of the best part of the song unless you stop to open the menu. The intro movie music is the worst of the series, it never picked up strong enough like other intro songs that starts slow and change pace(opening for II and la mer for IV) and what the hell was the electric guitar sound in the middle of the song? made it sound like the back ground music for a dragonball z game.
amadeusx

The Demons of Repentance

33505 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say the biggest issue in s5 for me would be that the game is too good. :P I hate it when the story is over. Maybe that's why the ending didn't seem that great to me.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just saved my Clear Data. All 108 stars, one of the two Best Endings in the game at 70 hours.

My immediate comments (spoiler-free, don't worry) are about the endgame which, while not a total letdown, has quite a few problems. For one thing, that is one of the STUPIDEST final dungeons I've ever seen. No spoilers, mind you, but the only save point in the area is at the start, and once you're in, you're in. You can't get back out. Nothing like Suikoden III, where you could teleport out and go back to fight the last boss whenever you wanted- it's one long trek through a massive boss rush and you can't save your game. Ever. You can't use an Escape Scroll to get back out. You can't even backtrack on foot, which the story actually tries to justify but never bothers to explain exactly why you wouldn't be allowed to go back out.

This makes a number of things very pointless, largely the fact that you can get a few items here that you could conceivably use in your traditional old Suikoden HQ. There is no reason for the enemies, largely unique to this dungeon, to be dropping them. So...why are they there? Further, the final dungeon won't let you save or escape, but your entire party is restored to full health and magical ability right before the last boss? Besides that odd set of stipulations, the dungeon forces you to do a walkthrough-dependent puzzle that with this game's encounter rate can take you upwards of thirty or forty-five minutes.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here, Suikoden V, is WHY THE HELL WON'T YOU LET ME SAVE IN YOUR FINAL DUNGEON DAMMIT

Uh...never mind! :D So, yeah, I was pretty mad about that. The fights turned out to be fairly moderate in difficulty (I probably selected Normal mode?), and were just a little long in the end. The final boss took me about ten minutes to defeat. I managed to do this all on my first try, actually, and yet I'm still incredibly annoyed at the lack of a save point- a basic, basic utility that the game offers you at so many other, less stressful points in this game, yet is mysteriously absent at the moment where it matters most. I could tolerate Suikoden V's frequent loading times and insane random encounter rate, but this is too good a game to fuck up like this. You should always be given the opportunity to save at LEAST before the final fight of the game. There is no "challenge" card to play here. The last string of fights aren't that hard to control. Give me a chance to save, get up, do something else.

All told, though, it could have been a worse endgame, but I still believe it's unfair to the player- not in difficulty, but in demand and in its refusal to let you play the bejeezus out of this game. I wanted to go back to my base, have a save there, maybe power up a few parties, collect more cash and SP and items for the New Game+, watch a few bath scenes...and the game does a poor job of telling you that there's a point you can't do any of that anymore. I can't remember if I or II did the same thing, but this was not a problem in Suikoden III. I knew when I had to save and what door led to the final boss. That game TELLS you. Suikoden V does not. That's a pretty long step back, in my book.

Ah, well. I got a save before entering the final dungeon, maybe I'll power-grind in that before going back in and suffering through that tedium again.

As for the game itself...I guess I need a few days to absorb everything I've seen, although I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'll consider the strengths, weaknesses, successes, and failures of the story and the gameplay. However, even without my desires of a permanent Champion's Rune, better loading times, less banal and repetitive recruitment for some of the 108 Stars of Destiny, and a save point/ability to exit at the last dungeon, I have thoroughly enjoyed Suikoden V and I'd consider it to be right after Suikoden III for my list of series favorites. Granted, that's a short list, but it's at least the second best I've played.

Fun battles, rich plot, extremely likeable (if slightly lacking at points) cast, a largely stirring musical score, decent graphics, full of Suikoden references and homages, and a strong establishment of the Queendom of Falena- yes, this was definitely worth the $50. :)

Looking forward to Suikoden VI.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
amadeusx

The Demons of Repentance

33505 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amen,Ashley Riot. WTB(want to buy) one of the three Lunas save points for the final dungeon.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right after you create your three parties, just use Prince and go back into the 'start room.' Talk to Luserina and use the 'Retreat for Now' option. After that, just backtrack out and you can do whatever the heck you want until you want to do the final dungeon. Granted, it's not a save point that's two feet from the final boss, but IMHO it's close enough.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh. Do all of the people in your three parties come with you when you do that?
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have seen for myself the wonders of joining a Ps2 and a hardrive... I just don't have any loading times.

It's so pretty ;___;

But yeah, Konami messed up with the loading times and the camera angle.
Nevertheless I've seen Killey three times in the game already thus, Im happy.
Shabadoo

56688 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My biggest problem with the game so far has been Belcoots Falcon rune. Other than that, I don't like not being able to doubble equip accessories. For me most other things have been quite good.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

belcoot's falcon rune was a big dissapointment compaired to the others who have had a falcon rune and how they all have a certain attack for it.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ashley Riot wrote:

Everyone returns. Your party will be reset to the same people you had before entering the dungeon. If you choose to retreat for now, Luserina says something to the effect of "then lets call back the others". Also I think when you return to the dungeon Luserina will ask you if you want to keep the same 3 parties you had made earlier or remake the parties.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With the talks of Belcoot's falcon rune, it reminded me of another issue I have. The action runes (Falcon, Tiger, etc) have no seperate skills. I liked how in Tactics that each action rune had it's own seperate skills (like the Magic runes) which made your physical characters have more variety in dealing out damage. I was disappointed when I did'nt see that in here.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

melange wrote:
Ashley Riot wrote:

Everyone returns. Your party will be reset to the same people you had before entering the dungeon. If you choose to retreat for now, Luserina says something to the effect of "then lets call back the others". Also I think when you return to the dungeon Luserina will ask you if you want to keep the same 3 parties you had made earlier or remake the parties.

Noted. This actually makes me wonder if it's possible to get all the Sun equipment as well as the other items in the final dungeon, then backtrack back to Luserina and back out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: