Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What're Suikoden V's biggest issues to you? (minor spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I meant some cutscenes, not all.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I pretty much like the game and all, but I have some small things...

• The menu screen takes me 2 seconds to load.
  • The menu screen makes no sound when it comes up, like in IV.
  • I prefer, in the status screen, going up and down between characters, like in IV, rather than left to right.
  • The townspeople-- or the clones-- are like, 15% smaller than the Stars.
  • The overhead view is annoying and gross. And I can't even move the camera manually.
  • I hate how the Queen's Knights are all at level 20, but their weapon level is 1. :mrgreen:
  • The duels are quick-paced. I need time to think about what to do! xD
  • I think that's all...
  • No, sometimes the music is too preppy. *coughSol-FelenaSunPalacecough*

Ehh, yeah. That's about all. I don't hate the load time and I can endure all my little Suikoden V pet peeves. But then again, I'm only at Raftfleet and 9 hours in the game. So we'll see. ;D

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

personally i don't know why you guys are complaining, i mean it's your opinion and all but i just don't see it.

To me the cutscenes are just fine and the loading times are fine too. It gives me sometime to think about what just happened. Some of the cutscenes were not that graceful but for me it wasn't a noticable time between scenes.

Suikoden V has a huge map...takes some time to load and i'm totally fine with it. Plus while there is loading times it gives me time to decide if i want to go to the bathroom or get something to eat haha.

The menu thing kinda annoys me just because for a second i think "oh did i not push the button??". But then bam! it's there.

Music is amazing i think

Oh about the "not enough stars in towns". Yes there aren't a lot of stars just hanging out. Stars come out to play after certain battles...so keep on going they'll be there. Also unlike the other suikodens in this one a lot of the stars require a sidequest. Which is what i've been waiting for! Gives them an actual reason to be there.

The camera was the only thing about suikoden V i was really worried about. But for me it brings back the feel of suikoden and suikoden II. (maybe this is just because i just replayed them) But i really like it none the less.

Only complain is...i just guess it is the menu, which in reality isn't that bad

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The one thing I strongly dislike is two-fold:

1) How much black space there is in the longest view.
2) How all the story scenes (thus far) not CG shift to to the longest view.

As a result, for a lot of scenes, the characters are out of focus (I can't see any detail) and there's a huge amount of black space on the screen. Suikoden I, II, and III all had similar cameras and they never had this much black space.

However, that's my only big complaint about the game. Everything else is good-to-great, and I have to say this game is fastly becoming one of my favorite games, and probably my favorite Suikoden.

I'm with Zeal on the SoD's. I like that most of them recruit sidequests if they're not part of the main plot; helps bring them together. It's much more impressive than Suikoden IV, where it was basically "hey u got a boat, rite?" *HeroIV nods* *STAR HAS JOINED*.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

for me, the age old song of "the screen argg the screen", its an odd screen, zoomed out and on an angle. I've fond my self being lost, which is always a problem with me in towns (or finding doors) too bad I couldn't rotate the screen. so far just mainly techincal issues, screen stuff, how weird stuff looks zoomed out, zooming out in cut scenes. Loading stuff, that that were sound from suikoden 4 was broght back. I forget was that "blop" sound in the thrid? the sound when you chose which file to play, or if you want a new game or continue.

but I do like how I can push small animals around again. I can have loads of cat pushing fun, and dog pushing. The animals aren't stationaly to the ground. I don't recall seeing walking people, but if there are I'll try moving them also. that was awsome!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kuwaizair you're hilarious.
Jeanemon

23356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What, you can push the cats? Awesome!

I'm with everyone else on the un-responsive button mashing. If I press my button, I want the menu when I press the button, dang it! It also made talking to the townspeople more annoying.

My biggest issue with the game is probably how slow it loads. Granted, this is probably something to do with my old PS2. When those pigeons fly away, my game will sometimes freeze, and then they'll just be gone.

Also, something that annoyed me in IV, there is no soft-reset. I don't know if this is Konami's way of telling me "Hey, Lazy! Get yo fat but off the bed and reset the button!" Perhaps they're just doing their part to combat gamer obesity.

However, the loading times was so overruled by the fact that this game feels so much better. I mean, in the past games it felt like they were translating the words to their exact definition. In V, the speech seems more natural, and there's more joking and stuff. I love talking to the townspeople, because they usually have something funny to say. (Such as the little boy who wants to know why he can't grow up and be queen.)

I'm restarting the game (Because I've missed about ten stars, and I'm an anal retantive perfectionist) but now I get to see all my favorate scenes again.

Oh! Another thing that annoyed me was how they would have a cutscene just to say someone's name. (I think they did it at the begining for Lym, and then they did it for Luserena.) If you need to have a cutscene just to say someone's name, you really need to get some simpler names.

I had no problem with the graphics but, then again, I mostly play older games. I've never been one for graphics. As long as it has decent (IE, not awful polygons, Ala FFVII), good music, and a decent battle engine, I'll probably like it. A game needs a good story and likeable characters for me to love it and put a lot of hours in it.
JOWAH

Sierrachan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that loading time is ok. At least cutscenes are introduced better than GSIV. Actually i'm used to them and i don't care to wait, that's not the major fault of the game.

The only thing I hate most is the camera. Damn, i wasted lot time at the beginning @Lordlake trying to reach the 2 guys. And yes, this makes you loose chests and chars easily. I do not hate fixed cameras, one like GSIII would be good.
And I agree with the bird's view; I hate not seeing details in a game, i think Konami lost a point here.
I really don't know how much I'm far, -spoiler- I just met the Island Nation guy and recruited Bernadette , and i think this game is as good as Suikoden II. Mind that my fav is Suikoden III, then comes II.

Jibrille 's Protector
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nckd

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the game so far -- it's great to have such a rich storyline, but I do have some issues with it.

The camera -- argh! I spent two hours or more wandering around in the Twilight Forest because I couldn't see where anything went. The backgrounds didn't help either there. (On the bright side, I no longer have any money problems...)

The game feels a little glitchy in general, with the button mashing, unopenable chests, hard-to-talk-to townsfolk, etc. That stuff bugs me all the more because it's obviously not a design decision, just problems that weren't worked out.

Level 1 weapons are no fun either -- you get some kick-ass character, and you have to stick him or her in your companion slots until you get back to HQ because they do no damage. I also wish I could figure out how to trigger bath scenes -- so far, no luck.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nckd wrote:
The camera -- argh! I spent two hours or more wandering around in the Twilight Forest because I couldn't see where anything went. The backgrounds didn't help either there. (On the bright side, I no longer have any money problems....)

If it makes you feel any better I spent a whole night trying to figure my way in and out of the Twilight Forest. What really ticked me off was I found my way to the ruins fairly easily (just stumbled into it) but could not find my way out. But on the flip side I think the Twilight Forest was intentionally made to be maze-like and confusing. It's supposed to be this under-explored area (at least according to the Miakis-Zweig-Lorelei conversation) thus there are no clear paths thus its easy to get lost. So while I was railing against walking into the same area the umpteenth time I was also praising how well they actually made the Twilight Forest live up to its description as a thick unexplored forest.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
Nameless Wanderer

Chuukekkonkoken

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only issue I have is with the menu loadtime, and even then, it's not that big of a deal.

The camera would've made the game a hell of a lot easier if you could change it to a semi-fps mode, but then the Twilight Forest would've been too easy to traverse, thereby not living up to its reputation. (It made me a millionaire as well.)

I don't know about hard-to-talk NPCs. The only reason they don't respond quickly enough is because they do movement cycles every time you talk to them, so they're basically the same as the NPCs from S3 and S4, only this time, you can't see the movements well unless you've got glasses on, or, a trained eye. (I could even talk to NPCs without even sticking too close to them.)

Never encountered unopenable chests since the openable chests look a lot more colorful than background chests.

The bird's eye view was apparently necessary in making the game harder, I suppose. But a game with a lot of detail doesn't hurt.

//Mahou Furyou Nagima! - Magister Nagi Magi//
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't skip meaningless dialoge
LOTS OF READING
You can't reset through the control pad

It's an addicting game, that won't let me get a life.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Up until this point (I'm right at the end), nothing really bugged me at all. However, Konami just totally ruined the ending gameplay with a fatal mistake.

SPOILERS

After you're liberated Sol-Falena, you can return to your HQ and completely explore the entire world. I was very happy about this, especially because Lyon is back with the Twilight Rune! So, I warped back to my HQ to change my party around and...LUSERINA WAS GONE!!! Yes, that's right, she's now staying at the Sun Palace. That means if I just want to change one little character, I have to go on a 5 minute treck all the way to the throne room of Sun Palace!!!

Could anybody who's beaten the game tell me if Luserina will return to the castle at all? Don't tell me when, just whether or not she returns.

Luserina, come home!

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

She eventually moves to the final dungeon, which is not only more inconvenient, it has random encounters. Go you!

Yeah, the game really needs multiple characters who change your party, like how Apple, Anne (and Caesar, that once, I guess) could both switch characters in and out of your group.

In SV, apparently, your vice-strategist staff is far too busy standing outside a door to do a little paperwork and shuffle people from standing around duty to standing around in your group duty.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the only big problem i have with suikoden 5 is the random encounters. hell every 10 seconds at least you get a dam encounter. it's like suikoden 4 traveling around the ocean all over again. it took me an hour to do the sindar runes with all those encounters. :x

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: