Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

D. Gray-man
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: D. Gray-man Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so I did a search for this on the boards, and no topics turned up from the Game and Anime Discussion subforum, so I thought I'd open this thread here. Why have there been no D. Gray-man discussion threads? :?

For the uninformed, the plot of the manga (there doesn't seem to be an anime currently) revolves around Allen Walker, a boy who is supposedly 'The Destroyer of Time'. He works as an exorcist, but not the normal 'exterminate ghosts' type. No, he destroys evil called 'akuma'.

Now whoa, whoa there, before all you start pointing fingers at him screaming 'Traditional emo hero!' and 'Cliches!', I'd suggest you stop and read through the first book first. You'll see that it's not a cliche, and definitely not a spin-off off all other exorcist manga out there. It's nicely drawn, with hints of humour, seriousness and other things mixed to form the perfect blend of a good manga.

Oh, and just for your info, the manga has been licensed by Viz Media. Just look for it under the artist 'Hoshino Katsura'.

So! Comments, fangirling/fanboyings, bashings? Let's hear it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll come save you, Dynast. I know that it's been a long time, but i'll revive this thread, post haste.

I just got familiar with D. Gray Man last month. I read up to the 75th Chapter. It's not that bad.

However, i find Allen Walker to be that kind of Kenshin-esque character; nice, happy, goofy guy with dark past.

But there were some other cool characters. I'm sure that everyone (who has read th manga) loves Rabi. He seems cool.

But my favorite out of them all would have to me Tiki Mick! I don't know why, but he looks so cool, with the slick, combed back hair and the top hat. I find that he reeks of coolness. But it just might be me.

But D. Gray man isn't for those who are scared of clowns. Wouldn't you agree, Dynast?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love D.Gray-Man! I'm such a goofball for the series, that I'm working on a fanart of Ravi as the White Rabbit from Alice and Wonderland for my birthday party invitations (I'm having a tea party for my 21st birthday! I 'm such a nerd).

I can't wait until I finally am able to own my own books of the manga (as I borrowed my friend's with the translation sheets she had found) as it comes out in the US at the beginning of May. ^_^

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So i take it that Rabi is your faves of them all, Yohn?

It seems that D. Gray man is quite new, isn't it? But if it's going to be released in May...

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tee hee! Yes he is my favourite. ^___^ I'll post the picture in here once I've finished it, since it pertains to the topic at hand.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lufia

Aethir Front

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've read so far, D. Gray-man is awesome. It reminds me a lot of Full Metal Alchemist, but I'm weird like that. ^^; I almost have a feeling that it'll be made into an anime... but who knows. I enjoy mangas anyway.

I'm only one volume in though. .__.;;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the setting is alot like in Full Metal Alchemist, except it's on Earth, not some other planet. That's probably why it reminds you of FMA.

Well, when i was first reading it, it seemed a bit too bleh for me. The enemy monsters didn't look that great, and i pretty much didn't have that good an idea what was going on. But i get suckered by that, like in Bleach and Shaman King. Things start to get much more interesting. To me it gets more interesting when you meet Miranda, i think her name is.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something about it almost reminds me of King of Bandit Jing... I don't know if it's the character design or what. Maybe it's just me. ^_^

Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'll come save you, Dynast. I know that it's been a long time, but i'll revive this thread, post haste.

Much obliged. I was beginning to despair over the fact that I was the only one who've heard of the manga before. :(

Quote:
But there were some other cool characters. I'm sure that everyone (who has read th manga) loves Rabi. He seems cool.

Actually, I don't really like Rabi. I have met countless Rabi fans, yes, but I've always thought that Rabi was kind of...shallow in a way. He's generally what I call a 'shounen retard', no offense meant to those many Rabi fans out there.

My personal favourites are Komui (who can ever hate the guy who only wakes up to "Rinali's getting married..." ?) and yes, Tiki Mick. I find Tiki Mick more grey than Rhode Camelot who's an obviously black character (What? Even her hairstyle dictates so!).

Quote:
But D. Gray man isn't for those who are scared of clowns

Well, that really depends. I never thought that Eliade looked like a clown. :D

Quote:
It reminds me a lot of Full Metal Alchemist, but I'm weird like that. ^^;

The religious tie-ins perhaps? Or just that 'long journey' aspect?

Quote:
To me it gets more interesting when you meet Miranda, i think her name is.

That's because that's about the time the storyline actually picks up. :D The introduction to the Noah family, Allen's eye....it all started after they rescued Miranda Lotte.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Herro. i've come to exorcise the idleness in this thread. OUT! OUT, you demons of idleness! I Command Thee!!

Well, i posted here to tell you all that i just saw the first D. Gray man anime on YouTube. Yeah, it's pretty cool, check it out. It seems to be very recent, just being released less than a week ago. I don't think any D.Gray man fan would be disappointed. But they may be surprised. Because it's the first episode, i define this as non-spoiler material, since the fans and new people to the series shouldn't care too much about the first part.

Some interesting things to note (This is just my opinion, so feel free to argue or agree or stay neutral with my comments):

- Rinali's hair is green! I always imagined her with dark violet hair. But it's just dark green. But she still looks very cute with it, so i have no complaints, but i was surprised about it. Strange enough, Komui seems to have normal black hair.

- The color scheme for the Millenium Earl is wierd, but then again, when are anime characters usually normal? I just imagined someone as evil as him to be weearing earthen, dark colors, but not pink or beige.

- General Marian Cross has dark red hair?! I always imagined it as blondish-white. Took me by surprise.

- I find that the graphic style/format/ whatever you call it is similar to that of Full Metal Alchemist. It just has that "new-age" kind of look. I personally like it that way.

- There has been an alteration in the first episdoe. While in the manga, the sister of Moore was a nun, in the anime it's a bride. But it's a minor detail and doesn't interrupt the flow of the story at all.

I urge you all to watch it. And also to buy the manga, to make Katsushiro's efforts worthwhile.

The next episode should jump straight into the arrival at Exorcist's headquarters. While this seems good and all, to skip the stupid story about the brat Justin whose friend was turned into an akuma and all, i wonder what they will to do cover the background of Allen Walker, which was in those chapters of that quasi-arc. Perhaps it'll come later.

The chapters at this point is up to 93. That's good enough to cover about 30 to 40 anime episodes, that being my estimate. I really want to know more about the Exorcist generals, like Cloud Nine and Winter Sokaro.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yohn

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked, personally how all of the characters looked older than they did in the manga. I was quite pleased with everything, overall. Can't wait for more. ^_^

Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's been a month, and i want to know what you guys thought about the D. Gray man anime so far.

For me, it is going at a moderate pace, which is good, but cannot be said of the One Piece anime (grr...). I wondered why they shifted the first confrontation of Allen against the Milleinum Earl to being after he joined the Dark Religious Organisation, instead of before. It didn't make too much of a difference, i suppose. But i think that it indicates that since Linalee would know in the anime, that Allen's childhood (prior to meeting General Cross) won't come into question again.

And then there's the manga. It's approaching the big 1-0-0. *SPOILER* Didn't the fight between Kanda and Skin Bolic strike you as being a bit too Dragoball-ish? I mean, it seems that one person is dead, and then alive, and then dead, and then alive again. Wasn't it a bit too much?

And then there is Allen's Clown Crown. It looks pretty goddamn cool, but what does it exactly do? I mean, how did this evolve from the Level 2 anti-Akuma weapon Allen had, and how does it function, as compared to the other paratice types? I would like an explanation as to what makes the Clown Crown, the Clown Crown.
*END SPOILER*

Bork! Bork! Bork!
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have read the first magna of d-gray man, i enjoyed it and i can't wait to get the next one.
I'd also like to see the anime but it will probabally take two years for it to come to the U.S.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've read the first three volumes so far, and I really want to watch the anime.
I first got interested in this manga when reading about the cosplay in a manga magazine. I liked the overall theme of the story and Allen Walker looks so cute I thought I would definitely like the manga because I like cute protagonists ... Well, so I like Allen, but the main point is that I thought the artwork, design and plot were interesting!

So, as I browsed forums, I began to hear of more interesting detail relating to D.Gray Man, such as the mythology, the Innocence and the character comparisons between D.Gray Man and Fullmetal Alchemist. I tried to find some manga scans, but failed miserably.

Finally, I got my first volume and boy, was it fantastic! I was sucked into the story and I enjoyed the Gothic style artwork immensely. I also liked the random bits of humor inserted. I think I read it through three times in that day itself.

Then, I got the second and third volumes. Again, I was hooked into the story, though the were of course some oddities with the artwork. I think I liked the third volume more as Miranda is a special type of manga character and her Innocence is very powerful to say the least.

I must say that I like all the characters so far, though Kanda gets onto my nerves sometimes with his attitude. I wish I could find the anime and I regret not busting out my pocket buying Volume 4 as well while I had the chance!

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad to see that you guys like it. I got the 4th volume (Lavi is on the cover). I am waiting for the 6th one.

I have been watching the anime on YouTube. I'm glad to see a new opening at epsidoe 26. It's okay overall. But they show a new Noah there! Well, she appeared before in the manga, but only for one panel.

I'm glad to see my favorite character in the series, Tiki Mick, in action. And the current Allen in the manga is my second favorite character. I like Tiki Mick's tease, but i liek the Crown Clown even better! I want to use it for an avatar.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: