Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The series most unimportant mystery solved!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: The series most unimportant mystery solved! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Taken from this very site as regarding the town of Radat in Suikoden II:

Sars wrote:
There is a small section between the main town and the sluice gate section that requires some CD load time, what is that short section there for?

I've found out and confirmed the answer to this question.

You see, the 'world' of Suikoden II is divided into several key 'hub' areas by the programmers. These areas as are follows.

East Muse, Muse, Matilda, Greenhill, South Window, Two River, Tinto, Kyaro and Highland.

Although the world map appears to be one large map, in fact, it is cut and segmented and the only way to access another area is by going through a 'link' area. The various border checkpoints, forest and mountain paths and so on. There are only two exceptions: Radat and Two River.

By the way, even if you somehow disable the obstructive scenery, say, via a cheat code, you'll note that you do not have access to the full world map. As there is no 'full' world map, merely a series of small areas that only appear to be connected. It's a smart system that saves considerable on load time whenever you enter the 'world'.

Anyway, the 'link' between the South Window area and the East Muse area is Radat. Every part of Radat to the west of the small section mentioned in the quote post is actually in the South Window area, while the sluice gate and also the exit out to East Muse is in the other area.

Hence the need for a quick load-time segment.

Two River, which fulfils a similar role linking its region and Greenhill doesn't suffer from this problem so much as it's naturally three segments along, unlike Radat which is padded out to three.

And that's the mystery solved. Sars can post this information on the front page of the site and dismantle the geography entry on Jowston in shame now. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, people can dream.

Interesting research regardless.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now thats something to tell the grandchildren JBL.

Dare I ask how exactly you found this out for sure (as I know you wouldn't post up duff unverifiable information which could cast your reputation into shame)?

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol wow.. that's a lot of thought put into a really obscure kind of question ^^

-My DeviantArt-
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes thats correct.. and as a programmer i had the idea of that long ago while i played it.

But that is, just like you said, one of the unimportant suiko-"secrets".. everyone that had ever used the rpg maker or coded a similar engine to suikoden would have done it the same way..on the psx..
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha. Interesting. Not that i really gave it much thought before, but interesting none the less.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow... nice effort in searching about this "place" as in "Radat"
well, as Decado said,
Quote:
Dare I ask how exactly you found this out for sure (as I know you wouldn't post up duff unverifiable information which could cast your reputation into shame)?

that's about it, thanks... :mrgreen:
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a well thought out, logical, and descriptive explanation. Therefore, it must be wrong.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
That is a well thought out, logical, and descriptive explanation. Therefore, it must be wrong.

I hate to say it but he makes sense.

They use this method in lots of games to help ease loading times and make things simpler.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How did I do it? I popped in a copy of the game and cheated, naturally. I enabled a 'walk through walls' cheat so I could explore outside of natural boundaries such as forests and mountains as well as not having to progress through the plot to access the world maps, in order to work on even more accurate maps for myself.

Interestingly, if you use this cheat and head north of the Greenhill hub you'll eventually find the header 'AREA 3' spelled out with trees. :D
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Valec

Maniacs with Hammers

1947 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do you initiate these cheats? Gameshark? Codebreaker?
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, that's sensible to me...
anyway, thanks for the detailed info :wink:
good one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: