Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

American version impressions thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, my console is brand-new and I have not experienced much trouble with load times. I'd say the longest one I've ever seen was between six and eight seconds.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
I wonder if the load times depend on the age of your console at all? I bought a brand new one one since mine decided to die right before Suikoden V came out, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with load times - I would estimate between 4-6 seconds at most. the only one that annoyed was getting a menu up, where there was an odd 1-2 second delay.

Although admittedly, I'm not the most observant person, I'd be surprised if I didn't notice a 15+ second delay.

I doubt it's Console based. My PS2 is dying. It won't play DVDs, gives me hell when I try to read a memory card for the first time that day, and takes aboyt 1-2 minutes just to ger past the swirly lights and junk. But the game loads fine for me. I think my personal longest load time was around 8 seconds, but really, that dosen't seem all that bad to me...Hell, Phamex's works fine to my knowledge, and her PS2 makes all these funny noises and junk when loading games, so I doubt it's that.

Wait. In retrospect, my game had a SMALL fingerprint on it once and that raped loading times. like..15 seconds plus for everything. maybe that woudl explain it for some people?

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
proemthez

9412 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmmm i kind of agree with what u guys say too hehehe. honestly i dont get why most ppl say this is the best suikoden tey have ever played, but it all comes down to personal preference. the load times were definitely longer and sometimes they do get on my nerves; while getting around my HQ i always try to find a way about paths with long loading times. the excounter rate was slightly, just slightly, on the high side, though not half as bed as suikoden IV. im not saying this game sucks or anything, its apretty good game but i don get the most out of the climax of the stroy. the Galleon flashback scene, while pretty good, dint really touched me much, in fact the sialeeds scene did more to move me. perhaps im not one to be touched easily anyhow. and the game tends to get dull towards the end. well in a nutshell the story was reasonably goo for me. but nothing over the top.

the graphics were pretty well done actually, especially during the cutscenes. But. put together,the world map and towns seem pretty generic to me. individually, the trees and grass and all that were well done, but its just too generic and lacks variety. in fact i much preferred the graphical concepts of suikoden III. like when you wander about the plains, the camera will tilt at this angle and really made it look like its a plains. the water was ok but i like the water outside the palace in the kingdom of obel( not the sea mind you) of suikoden IV. i used to just walk around there to look at the physics of the water. anyhow, the battle graphics were nice but i dint like the rune animations as much as suikoden 2 or 3. i'd admit this is a biased view as personally, i prefer sligtly lengthier graphics ( not those exaggerated ones like the summons in final fantasy though) some of the spells felt very much reused and uninspiring to me. perhaps shorter spells are mpore realsitic in a real fight, but this is a turn based game after all. however this is one of the few turn based games that are interesting. most of the turn based games are getting dateda nd makes the gameplay really boring

the minigames were also less entertianing in this installment. though it is not really that impt in an rpg, it does add an element of fun that keeps you occupied during the boring parts of gameplay. i tot II and IV did a better job. honestly the rock climbing game and the dancing and cooking game of II and ritapon of IV were really fun. like III, this game lacked that spice.

now the music is nice, much better than the I-III. VI was quite good. i like many of the tracks. bu somehow i feel that some songs, though nice, doesnt really match the atmosphere perfectly. then again maybe its just me. but i thought chrono cross had a really awesome soundtrack that matched the atmosphere of the game as well.

anyohw suikoden V has still been an enjoyable experience for me. i often extended my playing time into my time for doing my assignments because i couldnt put it down. hehe ok hope you don't send me some hate mail or anything. just my persoanl opinion so no offences meant yea?
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

I? hate this game. It is my least favorite in the series (the ranking, if anyone cares, is III > IV > I = II > V).

It is just incredibly not fun for me. The horrible loading times--16 seconds to get into a battle, 5-8 to get out of one, and a battle every ten steps? That's just plain unacceptable, Konami. (And it's made worse by the absurd cost of...everything, coupled with the low amount of money the enemies drop, thus causing you to have to fight even more if you want you party to be decently equipped).

None of the characters were interesting to me, except for five. That has never happened in a Suikoden. There are five characters, out of 108 that I care about in any way, shape, or form. If I were to play through the game again, I would be forced to use the exact same party. I also found that the character development was completely absent save slight mumblings for Sialeeds, since she at least surprised me (or would have, if I hadn't accidently been spoiled -- And if anyone here says Lyon was developed, I will laugh in your face)

As has been said, the villains have no motivation. It basically becomes a cliche "Save the World" game because, if Papa Godwin had his way he was fully intending to use the Sun Rune to take over the entire world. The thing that I have always liked about Suikoden is that it's not a "Save the World" game. It's always been a much more personal affair for the characters.

Also, this Tenkai and his Rune, by far, are my least favorite in the series. I think I used each Dawn Rune spell once, just to see what they looked like. It was just absolutely useless to me. Well, the fourth level spell wasn't too bad, actually. I never needed the third level spell, because the game was far too easy. Zerase with a Shield Rune and Lun with a Flowing were more than enough to take care of any healing I needed (Hell, I hardly even used Lun to heal, Zerase with a Shield Rune was more than enough, really).

Plot wise, I just felt the game was completely hollow. The world was so big and it had so much that could have been done with it, but nothing was. There was nothing about the people of Falena, about their customs or traditions, it was just "GODWIN SUX" "NO BAROWS SUX" "NO TEHY BOTH SUX" for the entire game.

Anyway, yeah. That's just what I think. Let the flames commence.

(Also the voice acting is mediocre)

I have to disagree with most of your opinions/statements here.

Firstly, the loading times really weren't that bad, especially compared to many other games on the PS2. It's a technical thing anyway, it comes with the territory. You have to expect loading times in games, and Suikoden V's weren't awful by any means.

Equipment might seem expensive, but that's because you have multiple avenues of making money. There's regular battles of course, but then there's Egbert's Potch Finder ability, the Prosperity set (of which you get many pieces very early on), and money from battles and trading. All told, you have to work for your money...but that's a good thing. I only recall battling for the sake of money once...at the end of the game when I had 18 characters to outfit.

It's your opinion that most of the characters didn't appeal to you, but I'm quite the opposite: they were far more human to me. They all had their own motivations, and their own goals. They didn't just join your army, you had to make it worth their while. The interactions within the castle were far more prevalent than in previous Suikodens: the comment box and bath features were done far better.
And yes, Lyon was developed. Did you not see the ending? Or how about some of the revelations about her past? Just because it happens early, DOESN'T mean it can be discounted.

"Save the World"? First off, what's wrong with saving the world? It's fun. Besides, Suikoden V is no different in any respect from the others in this regard. You are trying to keep a powerful True Rune from falling into the hands of a madman/trying to take it away. That's the plot of...oh I dunno, ALL THE OTHER SUIKODEN GAMES. Sure there is always a "liberation" component that deals with warfare, but the basic plot remains the same. Look at Suikoden III. No spoilers, but the entire plot of the game was that you were trying to SAVE THE WORLD from somebody who wanted to eradicate it!

As for the customs/traditions thing...I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The game is embodied by the noble factions fighting for power, it's what triggers the plot and makes the nation different. The theme, if you will. Plus, Falena has plenty of culture. The whole Dragon Cavalry thing is a treasure trove of information on the region. You hear of Falena's relationships with its neighbors past and present, the famous locations (Lunas, etc) and conflicts of the past (Lordlake, etc). Add all the Old Books and other assorted sources of information, and I'm not sure where you're getting this.

And if you think the voice acting is mediocre...well, I'd like to see your definition of a GOOD performance. The voice acting was excellent 99% of the time.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V was not about saving the world in any way shape or form. The Godwin family wanted to turn Falena into a powerful empire using the Sun Rune to intimidate and (if necessary) defeat enemies. They were not planning on taking over the entire world, nor were they planning on destroying Falena (although the Prince's forces did believe this when the Ashtwal glaciers were melting).

It was simply a clash of different ideas and opinions on how the country should be governed, and what its foreign policy should be. Had the Barows held the coup instead of the Godwins, it would've been a similar situation except that they would've been selling out Falena to other nations, instead of trying to overpower them.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the music was actually a highpoint of this game. That, and the way the story was told.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: