Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

18th Commonwealth Games - Melbourne 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: 18th Commonwealth Games - Melbourne 2006 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im actually a bit shocked that no ones made a thread yet theres really only the olympics, Winter Olympics and the Commonwealth Games that stand out as basically a whole world sporting affair.

Medal count after 2 days of competition:
(Gold-Silver-Bronze-Total)

1. Australia 12-9-8 (29)
  2. India 4-3-0 (7)
  3. England 3-7-4 (14)

Australia Currently have 14 total medals from swimming, England 5, South Africa and Canada 4, Scotland 2, and New Zealand and Wales 1.

Rugby 7's Finals have been played out with New Zealand taking gold, England taking silver and Fiji taking bronze.

The defending Commonwealth Games gold medallists New Zealand have won their third consecutive gold medal in the Rugby 7s after defeating England 29-21.

England were playing in their first Commonwealth Games gold medal match after earlier defeating Fiji 21-14. New Zealand made it to the final by beating Australia 21-19.

Fiji beat Australia 24-17 to take out the bronze medal.

Kenya defeated Uganda 29-0 to advance to the Bowl Final with Tonga who beat Scotland 12-5.

Wales defeated South Africa 29-28 in a close Plate Final.

Kenya won the Bowl Final 26-12 over Tonga.

In the track Cycling Australia have taken 7 medals including 5 gold with England taking 5 medals with 1 gold 3 silver 1 bronze.

So it seems like another sweep for Australia =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, your country's huge compared to ours (I take it from the last comment you are Australian right?). I blame it on that.

Nah England had a pretty good showing at the last commonwealth games but I haven't really been watching this one since I'm at university right now. My mum always watches all the athletics when I'm at home so I get drawn into it and end up watching it on my own as well and taking an interest but it's not the same when I'm at uni and now I no longer partake in any form of athletics myself.

Saying that hopefully England do catch India, second place would be pretty respectable.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah im an Aussie,and not really huse as Australia may be big but people forget that the main cities are really only along the coast as the middle is pretty much just desert. The reason Australia mostly always win the commonwealth games is because (as noted last night on tv) we picked up like 30 gold from the shooting events last time and like 40 odd from the aquatic events.

People were amazed when we had a female weight lifter take bronze cause they wer elike 'zomg she so small she cant do anything' and when our male gymnasts got silver since i think thats out first gym medal for a long time.

Most likely i think top 3 will be Australia, England and Canada with really only England and Canada to contest 2 and 3 (last commonwealth games aus had like 80 odd gold medals and i think the next best was Canada with 20)

Thats what you get for banning our tourist ad :P

You could have at least watched the opening ceremony, i was in Melbourne at the time and they pretty much shut down the entire cbd(central business district) to hold it so they pretty much pulled out all the stops and spared no expense for flashylights and stuff.

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh great...so you're talking about size now ah?
My country's a commonwealth country-Singapore, but its certainly the smallest of smallest. I don't even see my country coming out in your posts, and perhaps it didn't even participated in this Commonwealth, who knows(I don't know because I didn't read the news for a few days now)? Anyway, I think they did participate, they always do afterall, but I guess they just aren't able to win anything much. Sigh. We can't even win a single Gold in Olympics...
Perhaps because of that I am used to supporting other countries in major sporting events like Olympics, World Cups(which we may never even get in).

Yeah I sort of think India will fall behind soon, but it's just the starting of the whole event isn't it? Perhaps in a day one of these countries get a heafty load of medals and zoom up as first. That would be interesting. It would be even better if a smaller country can beat the bigger ones(HELLO England isn't that small either!).
Talking about England why can't UK be UK, or Britain be Britain? Anyway that's kinda none of my buisness.

I'm scanning through the papers as I type, and oh great. my country did participate and oh great great!, we are 3rd!...from the bottom.

But I suppose this competition has its fair share of shine. Why, I can't imagine a 12 year-old child competiting with 30+ grown adults!

I will be hoping for a miracle. Anybody, please, just anybody! Stop the big guns from firing! Though I doubt its much of a chance, don't fix the table so soon!

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as my recollection goes the only reason i havent talked abotu Singapore is because i havent seen any of their athletes in the finals. According to the tally on the commonwealth games website, Singapore have 2 bronze medals both in the Air Shooting Rifle Pairs. Since Australians got gold in both those events you can understand why i wouldnt have heard much about them in news without specifically looking.

Its only the 3rd day of events and there are 14 medal chances coming up tonight, i think the youngest athlete in the commonwelath games is 16-18 (I know Aus has some 18 yr olds who already won gold, and i know during the trials there were a few 16 year olds in the heats) so it is possible. :P

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not too keen at all with Commonwealth Games. I mean, yeah, it's fine and dandy to have a sporting event, but I find it a bit ridiculous that Australia made it such a big deal that they won gold medals when there's not much competition to begin with. Seriously, Australia is one of the best in the world when it comes to swimming, and I bet we'd see quite plenty of clean sweep gold-silver-bronze in some swimming events by far. So what's the big deal? If I want to see 1-2-3 Australian swimmers, might as well watch the National Championships. It's just not the same due to the lack of competition.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
I'm not too keen at all with Commonwealth Games. I mean, yeah, it's fine and dandy to have a sporting event, but I find it a bit ridiculous that Australia made it such a big deal that they won gold medals when there's not much competition to begin with. Seriously, Australia is one of the best in the world when it comes to swimming, and I bet we'd see quite plenty of clean sweep gold-silver-bronze in some swimming events by far. So what's the big deal? If I want to see 1-2-3 Australian swimmers, might as well watch the National Championships. It's just not the same due to the lack of competition.

Thats being a bit harsh, are you against the Olympic games then sicne effectivly all the Commonwealth Games is, is a smaller version of the Olympic games involving the nations of the Commonwealth. Quite frankly i enjoy the Commonwealth games sicne each time theyre held theres a different basic setup. Last time it was cricket, this time it was Rugby 7's, I wouldnt be surprised if gaelic football became the next step sicne theres already a international rules seriesand teams have travelled across the world to spread the game.

Its far more entertaining then watching the exact events every 6 years.

Australia make a big deal about it becasue theyre proud about their sporting accomplishments. Hence the pretty much omg when the socceroos beta Portugal to make the World Cup, and Sydney FC tried to get into the asian league.

Australia is the best when it comes to swimming, as even in the Olympics the majority of our medals are won at swimming, this is further increased because nations such as the USA for a time went out and publically gloated about how they were so much better at it (i believe there was one such issue when the mens US 4x100 relay saying they would play the Australians like guitars, subsequently Aus got gold and US silver) which only increased the amount of joy cause it effectivly stuck it right up em.

The national Championships arent the same thing, as that only means youre the best in Aus. The commonwealth games is a step up as youre the best in the entire Commonwealth and the world titles there after followed by the Olympics. There has been a trifecta by Aussies in certain events, and it still is rare on the commonwealth level. That doesnt mean its any less of a feat just because a few countries arent there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The country size thing I mentioned was a bit of a joke/excuse. Obviously there are far smaller (or far less densely populated) countries than England. The reason we do not have Britain or the United Kingdom in this is because it's a contest between the countries of the commonwealth. Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England are all countries as part of the commonwealth so it gets a bit more unfair on the smaller countries to band all of us together when while we function as a single entity some of the time we are still four countries in a technical sense with our own laws, ruling bodies (for some) and cultures. That is why we do not compete as a whole in the commonwealth. It's a bit difficult to understand due to the overall inconsistency of how we do it, we're totally split up in football, the Irelands are pushed together in Rugby, England and Wales is one cricket team and so forth - Like I said, inconsistent.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As British television stated, the Commonwealth Games exist to give people the chance to win medals without taking on the Americans or the Russians. :P I kid, I kid. Slightly.

The Games can hardly be considered worldwide, it's not something every nation can enter, it's just an event contested between members of the British Commonwealth. The Olympics are a world event, the World Cup is a world event, the Commonwealth Games aren't. By few countries, you're talking around 150.

And, of course, the Republic of Ireland will never enter the games out of principle.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Zorrow

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PF, I remember reading somewhere and sometime on soccernet that either UK is going to World Cups as UK, but somebody(I think its...Scotland???) has refused...or well something like that. I read that they have 4 places as 4 countries in some..well some organization(???) and that it was a major concern whether the 4 places will become 1 if they joined as UK or something like that...ah well...nevermind I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make...

I remember reading from local papers that this 12 year old school boy has attracted flocks of audiences. Yoshua Shing from Vanuatu I think. They didn't day which sport he's in but from the photo I figure it's table tennis.

And by the way I just mentioned my country to grumble about the fact that it will never be an established sports country(I believe China as more sportspeople than our total population!)...and it's kinda sad looking at the sports section and seeing "Golden teenagers wins first medals for Singapore" and it turns out to be bronze...ah well, let's not mention about Singapore.

I seriously agree with the lack of competition in Commonwealth, afterall commonwealth countries are countries once colonized by Britain (well it's something like this yeah? I forgot part of my history) and how are we as colonial 'slaves'(sorry I used this word for emphasis, don't read too much into it) win our colonial masters? Of course again, I mean from the viewpoint of a smaller and insignificant country. Australia has always been fighting with US or Holland(though that guy(forgot his name) is getting old now) for the top 3 spots. Where are they? Somewhere preparing for the next Swims Meet or Olympics! But again, who can we blame?

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Thats being a bit harsh, are you against the Olympic games then sicne effectivly all the Commonwealth Games is, is a smaller version of the Olympic games involving the nations of the Commonwealth.

No, I am not against the Olympics because the Olympics pretty much pitch in every nation in the world (that qualifies). So in a sense, most of the events there would be for the title of "the best player/nation in the world" because you're most likely competing against the toughest competitors.

On the other hand, Commonwealth Games is a *much* smaller scale with no real competition between nations. Like you mentioned yourself, Australia won 40 gold medals from swimming and 30 from shooting from the last games. Australia was number 1 with 80+ gold medals while the second position was filled with a nation that won 20+ gold medals. Does that show you there is even a single hint of competition? No, I don't think so. Winning the Commonwealth Games is not as prestigious as winning the Olympics.

[EDIT: I looked it up and apparently the result from the 2002 games was Australia #1 with 82 gold medals while England was second with 54 gold medals. It's not as one sided as 80-20, but it's still not a real competition since the host seems to always get more gold somehow (shown by the 80 vs 36 gold medals in the 98 games). And when compared to the Olympics, it's just a whole different ball game. Olympics 2004 in Athens showed USA China and Russia competing at the top three spots with 35, 32, and 27 gold medals respectively.]

Another thing that bothered me is that I find some Australians to be arrogant when it comes to sports. Not saying all are, but some. Like last night when I watched swimming events, I think it was men's 200m backstroke that there was no Australians in that event. Scottish swimmer won the gold medal and the commentator made a comment, "Would you believe it that Scotland now has won 3 gold medals!!" in a tone that made it sound as if hell has frozen. I mean, geez, that's a bit insulting, you know.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Quite frankly i enjoy the Commonwealth games sicne each time theyre held theres a different basic setup. Last time it was cricket, this time it was Rugby 7's, I wouldnt be surprised if gaelic football became the next step sicne theres already a international rules seriesand teams have travelled across the world to spread the game.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the Commonwealth Games as a sporting event. But I just don't think it's all *that* due to the lack of competition.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Its far more entertaining then watching the exact events every 6 years.

I think Commonwealth Games is held every 4 years. 1998 Kuala Lumpur, 2002 Manchester, and now 2006 Melbourne.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Australia make a big deal about it becasue theyre proud about their sporting accomplishments. Hence the pretty much omg when the socceroos beta Portugal to make the World Cup, and Sydney FC tried to get into the asian league.

Socceroos beat Uruguay to make it to the World Cup and not Portugal. I can understand that Australians are proud about sports (I totally agree with that), but even the neutral ones can see how there's not much competition within the Commonwealth Games.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Australia is the best when it comes to swimming, as even in the Olympics the majority of our medals are won at swimming, this is further increased because nations such as the USA for a time went out and publically gloated about how they were so much better at it (i believe there was one such issue when the mens US 4x100 relay saying they would play the Australians like guitars, subsequently Aus got gold and US silver) which only increased the amount of joy cause it effectivly stuck it right up em.

I'm not sure which event you're talking about, but when I look it up on the net for the result of 4x100 relay for men in Athens, the results were:
4x100m freestyle relay: South Africa, Netherland, USA (Australia 6th)
4x100m medley relay: USA, Germany, Japan (Australia not in the finals)

If you happened to mean 4x200m freestyle relay, the result was: USA, Australia, Italy. Maybe you meant the women's side? But personally, I can't see the female swimmers (USA or not) to be as arrogant to say something like that. As far as I know, female swimmers all around the world tend to be competitive but also supportive and appreciative of one another.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
The national Championships arent the same thing, as that only means youre the best in Aus. The commonwealth games is a step up as youre the best in the entire Commonwealth and the world titles there after followed by the Olympics. There has been a trifecta by Aussies in certain events, and it still is rare on the commonwealth level. That doesnt mean its any less of a feat just because a few countries arent there.

Like I said before, if Australia finish 1-2-3 in swimming events (this has happened quite a few times already this year) and usually by quite a margin compared to the fourth spot, what makes it different than National Championship (and no, I don't mean the title of best in Australia and Commonwealth)? Heck, Australia might even finish 1-2-3-4 if they could send 4 swimmers into a single event.

In 2002 Manchester games, Australia won 24 gold medals out of the 37 in the swimming event. Surprisingly, there was no 1-2-3 finish at all during that games. Yet, we've seen a few 1-2-3's already this year. So I think it's quite reasonable if we say that Australia would win around 24 or even more gold medals this year from swimming. But when you look at the Olympics, Australia won 7 gold medals out of 32. That's not even 1/4 of the total, and still behind USA's 12 gold medals from swimming events. I'm not saying that USA is the best or whatnot (I'm not even American, and I actually live in Melbourne), but when you see that the dominant nation only won 12 out of 32 gold medals, it clearly showed a whole different level of competition compared to the Commonwealth Games where Australia dominated so much by winning more than half of the whole event.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
I'm not sure which event you're talking about, but when I look it up on the net for the result of 4x100 relay for men in Athens, the results were:
4x100m freestyle relay: South Africa, Netherland, USA (Australia 6th)
4x100m medley relay: USA, Germany, Japan (Australia not in the finals)

If you happened to mean 4x200m freestyle relay, the result was: USA, Australia, Italy. Maybe you meant the women's side? But personally, I can't see the female swimmers (USA or not) to be as arrogant to say something like that. As far as I know, female swimmers all around the world tend to be competitive but also supportive and appreciative of one another.

nah im unsure as to what event it was pertaining to or what olympics it was in though i am sure it was the Aussies and USA. It could have been in Sydney in 2000 as the Men won the 4x100 and 4x200 freestyle relay with the USA coming Second in both the events.

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Socceroos beat Uruguay to make it to the World Cup and not Portugal. I can understand that Australians are proud about sports (I totally agree with that), but even the neutral ones can see how there's not much competition within the Commonwealth Games.

Bah who can tell i dont watch soccer much :P At least i wasnt too far off the mark ^_^

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Like I said before, if Australia finish 1-2-3 in swimming events (this has happened quite a few times already this year) and usually by quite a margin compared to the fourth spot, what makes it different than National Championship (and no, I don't mean the title of best in Australia and Commonwealth)? Heck, Australia might even finish 1-2-3-4 if they could send 4 swimmers into a single event.

In 2002 Manchester games, Australia won 24 gold medals out of the 37 in the swimming event. Surprisingly, there was no 1-2-3 finish at all during that games. Yet, we've seen a few 1-2-3's already this year. So I think it's quite reasonable if we say that Australia would win around 24 or even more gold medals this year from swimming. But when you look at the Olympics, Australia won 7 gold medals out of 32. That's not even 1/4 of the total, and still behind USA's 12 gold medals from swimming events. I'm not saying that USA is the best or whatnot (I'm not even American, and I actually live in Melbourne), but when you see that the dominant nation only won 12 out of 32 gold medals, it clearly showed a whole different level of competition compared to the Commonwealth Games where Australia dominated so much by winning more than half of the whole event.

You'll get no argument from me on how easy it might be considering the women pretty much ruled the pool in each event they entered then in on a consistent basis. While im not saying that Aus going 1-2-3 is the best thing against the best in the world, in some cases in actually is. Considering the world record in some events is held by Australians currently competing, the second fastest held by say Inge DeBruin (spelling? i hate dutch names and thier accursed spelling making me think) with the next 2 being Australians again. If you throw in people from a different nation not in the commonwealth then youd change nothing on paper and based on times those same people would win.

John Layfield wrote:
The Olympics are a world event, the World Cup is a world event, the Commonwealth Games aren't. By few countries, you're talking around 150.

I know which is why i stated it atr the end of the chain above the commonwealth games, the thing i was stating was there was a difference between national titles and the commonwealthgames. How many of those 150 nations would you say actually had a chance to be medal prospects? As you said previously in your joke, its an excuse to keep Russia, China and the USA out of it, i dont see you saying something about Mexico besides them being good at high jump :P
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There will be a Great Britain football team in the 2012 olympics, they don't let us normally but money and ratings talk. Without a UK team in the competition it won't draw as much attention so they're generously letting us participate this time.

I hadn't heard that any nation had refused to be a part of a UK olympics team but really if Scotland did refuse we're talking about not seeing the potential (not definite) inclusion of Darren Fletcher. All the players need to be under 23 apart from 3 of them so Fletcher had a chance, apart from that Scotland has very little to offer to a Team GB football side to be honest with you.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Bah who can tell i dont watch soccer much :P At least i wasnt too far off the mark ^_^

Oh dear. XD
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
You'll get no argument from me on how easy it might be considering the women pretty much ruled the pool in each event they entered then in on a consistent basis. While im not saying that Aus going 1-2-3 is the best thing against the best in the world, in some cases in actually is. Considering the world record in some events is held by Australians currently competing, the second fastest held by say Inge DeBruin (spelling? i hate dutch names and thier accursed spelling making me think) with the next 2 being Australians again. If you throw in people from a different nation not in the commonwealth then youd change nothing on paper and based on times those same people would win.

I beg to differ. On the last Olympics in Athens, Australian female swimmers got a total of 4 gold medals out of 16 competed for women's swimming events. Yes, that's the most out of a single nation, but USA was close behind with 3 gold medals while Ukraine had 2 gold medals. Then Japan, Netherland, France, China, Poland, Zimbabwe, and Romania with 1 gold medal each. As you can see, out of the 12 gold medal lost by the Australian women, none was won by a Commonwealth nation.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
How many of those 150 nations would you say actually had a chance to be medal prospects?

Actually, out of the 150 nations or so competing, 75 of them won medals in Athens. So while the dominant force are three big nations of USA, Russia, and China, the other nations still have their 'specialty' events that could see them being second or third best in the whole world.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: