Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V marketing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Suikoden V marketing Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just got my April issue of Game Informer today. And while I was disappointed there was no review of Suikoden V in it, I did find something that made me almost as excited. A full-page advertisement for Suikoden V! That's right, Konami is actually bothering to advertise the game (something that has been non-existant thus far, as far as I know).

I'm going to try and scan it and post it here, but for now I'll just describe it a bit.

The page is black, and in the middle is the Prince and Lyon from the game cover (just those two characters, a rather cool pose), which an image of the Queen in the background. It says towards the top "A Queen may govern this Land. But you alone rule its destiny." On the bottom it has some screenshots (nothing new) with captions for each (well not captions, more just features of the game), as well as "With the queen in danger and your homeland under siege, you as the prince must gather the 108 stars of destiny and defend the crown you will never wear. Welcome to Suikoden V, the epic adventure where the fate of an entire world awaits your command."

It's nothing incredible, but it's nice to see some effort on Konami's part. Hopefully we'll see some online ads too. My favorit line in that ad is "defend the crown you will never wear." It's worded cool, and will hopefully spark some people's curiousity.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This wouldn't be the first time a SUikoden game had ads...but it sounds like they're good. From what I can recall, suikoden II had terribly lame ads. "suikoden means War!" Just..not a good job at all of getting the feeling across. There was another version of II's add..but I can't remeber it, so I doubt it was any good...

I know that III had an add or two, they weren't anything special, but the pages for the ads were a bright red that really helped to grab your attention. I wanna say the image used is the same as the game's cover, but I'm not certain enough to say that for sure.

The guy sup at my local Gamestop got the boxes out as fast as they could since Phamex and I reasoned that Suikoden needs all the press it can get. After the disaster of IV, we figured that was true. I'm hoping we get more adds in maganizne's and such, or else it may be in trouble... But I do like the sound of V's add. As you said, Poorguy, the phrase about the Crown seemed to be rather well worded.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I was under the impression that Suikoden hadn't had any advertising before, but I guess I was wrong. In fact, I think I remember seeing that Suikoden II ad listed at RPGamer's website. Anyways, this ad is pretty good. It's not visually stunning, but it definitely sparks some curiousity, and has plenty of appeal. I'm having trouble with our scanner, so if anyone else has this ad, it'd be great if they could post it.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You said it's in Game Informer? Phamex gets that magazine and I got a scanner. IF need be I shoudl be able to possibly get a scan of it up this evening, but I cannot guarantee. It sound slike it's enough to at least spark the curiousity of a few people who want a good RPG but don't much care for Kingdom Hearts. Here's hoping they go for Suikdoen V instead, eh? I'd REALLY love to see a commercial or two, but I really doubt we'll get that lucky...

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oh, I was under the impression that Suikoden hadn't had any advertising before, but I guess I was wrong. In fact, I think I remember seeing that Suikoden II ad listed at RPGamer's website. Anyways, this ad is pretty good. It's not visually stunning, but it definitely sparks some curiousity, and has plenty of appeal. I'm having trouble with our scanner, so if anyone else has this ad, it'd be great if they could post it.

It's on one of the page's of my latest PSM. I'll see if I can get it up if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Here we are:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4133/03162006071447pm4rx.jpg
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't keeping track before III but I think III had 3 different mag inserts for the 3 main character in PSM and others while having 2 different versions of in store full movie size posters, IV had that hero IV and kika ad with the treasure hunt code which was also found in every gaming mag, and I think suikoden tactics had an ad as well but konami really didn't put much effort into promoting that game what so ever. by the way, that ad is in the preorder art book which is really cool, I hope they would make a movie size poster of it but since the ESRB rating symble and the PS logo are pretty big, I think it's a paper ad only.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Overall I think that the Konami needs someone new for the Suikoden PR. The MGS series which is also produced by Konami has very few ads that I've seen but those that were there were good. Also, the MGS games kept improving. Hopefully Suikoden V will be like Devil May Cry 3 and bounce back from a bad rep.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have the same ad too! In a psm magazine i got, i have for the month ,...well it says january 07 but they obviously made a mistake, which means it's comming out soon ( of course) It is a cool ad but i thought they would have a little section about suikoden 5 ( but they didn't) I would scan it, but my scanner hasn't worked for like a year.
Dr. Chaos

13694 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
would scan it, but my scanner hasn't worked for like a year

I already posted the ad a few posts up but if you can find a better quality pic, feel free to post it.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why is this a big deal, again? Suikodens have always been advertised in the past (with the possible exception of the original). II had that picture of the hand with the Lightning Rune embedded on it, III had different ads introducing the three main characters, and IV had what was essentially on the wallscroll.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
Why is this a big deal, again? Suikodens have always been advertised in the past (with the possible exception of the original). II had that picture of the hand with the Lightning Rune embedded on it, III had different ads introducing the three main characters, and IV had what was essentially on the wallscroll.

I don't think anyone is making a "big deal" of it. It's just nice to see Konami advertising it.

Now if there was a TV comercial here in America, THEN it would be a great deal(I suppose that's depending on which station it is on).

The only good comercial thus far for suikoden is the one with the old hands holding a two rocks, one with the Bright Shield Rune and the other with the Black Sword and on the bottem it read "take two for immortallity"

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the print ad for V I just realized that the note under the first screen shots says: "Most Riveting Storyline Yet" Is that based on anything like japanese reviews, fan responses, or the promotions over there? Or is that just a bold claim?
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They've been bragging about the plot since the beginning. Although, from what I hear, it's justified bragging :D.

Blue Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a "It's Back!" type of comment might have been a good idea for window posters or what-not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: