Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SARSadmin's Review of Suikoden 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I were to rate Suikoden IV from 0 to 10, my number will be 7. Does that help?
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, can you please give an explanation why?

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game is just great guys. I may be able to shed some light on it. I've beat it and have almost beat my new game plus.

*Minor Spoilers* (not game-ruining)

It may sound weird to have battles in towns. It isn't really though. An enemy nation, for example, has soldiers stationed in one of the towns. You fight enemy soldiers. That isn't weird. However, on a couple islands, there are people hanging out where monsters are. That is odd.

The random battles are more frequent than I'd like them to be, but it isn't that bad. Like SARS said, you only get about 10 battles between islands. It just SEEMS like there are a lot of battles because you get a battle every four seconds on the ships. The distance between islands isn't that far. Besides, you have Viki for teleportation.

*End Minor Spoilers*

It is a great game all in all. You guys will like it. Ship battles are really really fun. Unfortunately, you can't have a ship battle whenever you want. You can only have them in story situations.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:

It is a great game all in all. You guys will like it. Ship battles are really really fun. Unfortunately, you can't have a ship battle whenever you want. You can only have them in story situations.

Auctually if you talk to Elenor she will ask you if you want to train for ship battles, i do it all the time when im bored.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was really no need to train for ship battles...if you could figure out the rock-paper-scissors you would be fine.

I've come to the conclusion that SARSAdmin's review is quite right on...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? Thanks The Black Knight. I wanted to do more of those. I'll go do that right now.
syun_ukiya

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished Suikoden 4 and just read your (SARSadmin) review (personally I don't read reviews before finishing a game). Well, yes, I thought it was just me but I really think the new ones are no better than their predecessors. I am quite excited myself seeing Suikoden 4, my first impression, well, at least it a bit better than Suikoden 3. Suikoden 3 is too lengthy for a story with a short plot (IMO) and slow-paced, this is one of the games I really wanted to finish as fast as I could. I never liked switching charaters (Hugo, Chris and Geddoe). I like S4 because it returned back to using one main character, but to be honest naval battles doesn't give me the the feel I felt in S1 and S2. I still prefer the military style wherein you see how big your army gets (I never liked S3 strategy battle as well). In addition, the strategists seems to play minor roles compared to their PSX predecessors. Their ideas are, well, quite simple. For example, Ceasar strategy to hold enemy forces by fighting battles so they don't reach Chisha and Elenor's strategy of unifying small islands to fight Koolok. I find them simple, no surprise, sometimes I believe that they don't even need a strategist. Well compared to the thinking of Leon and Shu they are quite inferior.

The graphics did improve however, though I'm still having problems distinguishing if its fmv or just normal. It too good to be normal but not that good to be fmv. I believe the only fmv can be found before choosing to start a new game or continue. But why do they have to reduce the magic effects?

The final boss doesn't stand a chance against my final party, its too easy (or maybe I was too stong). All in all, its not like I hate the new Suikodens, its just that I'm expecting a bit more.
squall20005

True Rune Army

18323 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV's naval battles are similar 2 the battles of suikoden 2 since like u hav 2 move TATICALLY (which im good at since i play final fantasy tatics without getting any dmg on my main char [including the solo fights]) but its juz that ucan counter the attacks n its kinda like major scissors paper stone (except theres water, wind, fire, n PEBBLES) so sometimes if ya get fustrated at the last naval battle, do what i did:board the enemy ship (who wouldnt) but i forgot 2 set my boarding party so it was like: 1 lvl99 gau vs 4 kooluk soliders (okay u guessed it, i won) so dun forget unless ur chars are godlike (ahem) a tip for u guyz: quickly get through the game 1 time, den get the fortune orb at foort el-eal, new game: equip the hero with the orb after u get ur ship HQ (moving) den u can go down with a GOOD MAGIC USER ( I MEAN IT ) like jeane, maxine, viki, ted (USE HIM! GOD WITH HIM ANGELS WITH OTHERS) ted has great speed n magic att n mp so equip the hero with the fortune rune n bring him n teb 2 the training room (b4 that equip lotsa speed rings for ted you'll need it n give ted a MOTHER EARTH RUNE) n ifhe can use lvl 3 magic 3 times when u get him, save the eqrthquake for the last 3 battles.if he can use 4 times, use for the last 4. if 5, use for all XP n ur hero muz use double blade or edge swd 2 cause 150 dmg 2 each enemy 2 knock out any remaining enemy tts still not smashed by ted's earthquake. after 15-30 battles, u should have ted n ur hero at lvl 99. after that its a breezze getting ur chars 2 lvl 99. Well good luck( btw for the higher class runes do the treasure hunt or remove the runesfrom worthless chars. but the Thunder rune is one of a kind so u muz go hunt for it urself its really worth it. Heavenly thunder causes as much dmg as ted's lvl 4 soul eater rune( i forgot the skill name ) if ya did all that i told ya, thelast boss would bore u outta ur mind. :roll:
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

squall20005 wrote:
Suikoden IV's naval battles are similar 2 the battles of suikoden 2 since like u hav 2 move TATICALLY (which im good at since i play final fantasy tatics without getting any dmg on my main char [including the solo fights]) but its juz that ucan counter the attacks n its kinda like major scissors paper stone (except theres water, wind, fire, n PEBBLES) so sometimes if ya get fustrated at the last naval battle, do what i did:board the enemy ship (who wouldnt) but i forgot 2 set my boarding party so it was like: 1 lvl99 gau vs 4 kooluk soliders (okay u guessed it, i won) so dun forget unless ur chars are godlike (ahem) a tip for u guyz: quickly get through the game 1 time, den get the fortune orb at foort el-eal, new game: equip the hero with the orb after u get ur ship HQ (moving) den u can go down with a GOOD MAGIC USER ( I MEAN IT ) like jeane, maxine, viki, ted (USE HIM! GOD WITH HIM ANGELS WITH OTHERS) ted has great speed n magic att n mp so equip the hero with the fortune rune n bring him n teb 2 the training room (b4 that equip lotsa speed rings for ted you'll need it n give ted a MOTHER EARTH RUNE) n ifhe can use lvl 3 magic 3 times when u get him, save the eqrthquake for the last 3 battles.if he can use 4 times, use for the last 4. if 5, use for all XP n ur hero muz use double blade or edge swd 2 cause 150 dmg 2 each enemy 2 knock out any remaining enemy tts still not smashed by ted's earthquake. after 15-30 battles, u should have ted n ur hero at lvl 99. after that its a breezze getting ur chars 2 lvl 99. Well good luck( btw for the higher class runes do the treasure hunt or remove the runesfrom worthless chars. but the Thunder rune is one of a kind so u muz go hunt for it urself its really worth it. Heavenly thunder causes as much dmg as ted's lvl 4 soul eater rune( i forgot the skill name ) if ya did all that i told ya, thelast boss would bore u outta ur mind. :roll:

The battles in 2 didnt require that much tactics =/

cavalry move further
mages have the highest range
archers are pretty much the average unit
footmen = lemmings :P

With the investigate ability anyone could then work out probability of successes in defence and attack which would leave strategy to basically moving a unit with the highest success rate of winning and defending to the strongest unit to maximise the ability to win.

Ship battles required more tactics in that each rune cannon can be countered, and a ship can only fire if its cannons are facing the enemy ship, but can be fired upon if its not. In S2 no matter what flank you attacked you were instantly countered in an even match, which is wrong. Possibly the only downside to it is the Obel ship being as big as it is when you have support ships also, its a tad hax when you can just sit there and break through the enemy bombarment without breaking a sweat.

Though S1 was the main Suikoden with the rock paper scissors method (archer > mage > infantry > archer) that doesnt mean that tactics are thrown out the window entirely when compared to a system that doesnt.

Finally boarding is wholely unneccessary when you can sink a ship in 2-3 turns.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't even understand with all of thiose "u"s and "n"s.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've just been replaying Suikoden IV and rather than make a new thread just to post my thoughts (although the Potch would be nice) I think I'll just throw them down here.

I have mentioned this in passing before, but I don't think I've ever explicity stated it so I'm doing so again.

Suikoden IV has one the best opening few hours in the series.

Seriously.

The pre-title screen movie conveys everything the game is supposed to be. It's naval, you're a marine knight, Suikoden IV's movie tells you that and shoves it in your face. Wah, wah, you don't like the music? Suikoden IV says 'Shut the hell up! This is a goddamned naval game and you're getting goddamned naval music!". Suikoden IV 1 Your Opinions 0.

But seriously, can anyone point out serious flaws in the opening few hours of the game? From the graduation ceremony to the opening few missions, Glen Cott gaining the Rune of Punishment, struggling to control it and then, finally, sacrificing himself to destory the pirate ships. I'd say that everything up until the banishment of the hero is damn good in terms of plot.

From then on, it feels like someone strapped a rocket on your back and you're sent hurtling through the rest of the game. Obel, small islands, Middleport, Razril, Obel, El Eal, the end.

The problem with Suikoden IV wasn't really depth. There's depth, people! Graham Cray has depth, Lino En Kuldes had depth, Glen Cott had depth, Snowe Vingerhut had depth. Even Reinbach II, Colton and the Governor of El Eal had some semblence of motivation and personality!

No, the problem with Suikoden IV was that the writing was so bloody awful that it's practically impossible to notice any of that without looking under a goddamned microscope!

Suikoden IV fails in that it was a great idea poorly executed, but the basis of that idea still resides within the game. That's why I've never fallen too harshly on it based on its shortcomings.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Finally boarding is wholely unneccessary when you can sink a ship in 2-3 turns.

Hmmm... sure it is, with movement increases on my ships and decently levelled characters even without using the training room... I can take out any ship in one turn as soon as they are in range.

In fact with this strategy you can use Kika's ship alone to destroy their entire fleet, they don't have the power to sink you before they're all dead its really quite sad how easy the battles are if you do it this way.

BTW - Just remember unites and runes cannot be used in ship boarding battles, take your heavy hitting physical fighters and cut em down.

In case this strategy fails put one of each rune on the Dauntless - that way you can counter any fire they may attempt - however I've never had an enemy ship live long enough to get there.

-- NOTE --
I also consider the boarding party method to be far more of a pirate strategy - befitting the setting and army you have.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i can see the depth of what they were trying to achive, but it think somewhere along the line, about the time the pirates join the game looses itself, it forgets the mainstay of the suikoverse, the characters. i can excuse the less than perfect game play, i can overlook the amazingly slow movment of the ship, i can respect the ship battles for trying to do something better, but what i cannot forgive is the lack of character development, it is poor, some characters, snowe, lazlo etc. but most.. gary and ema, kate, reinbach, helga, there is nothing that makes them special for most all they get is 3 small notes in a comment box and most of these are just hints to possible unite attacks.

hmm i didnt mean to sound like a suikoden 4 hater, im not, im more dissapointed in konami for forgetting about the characters (dont even get me started on rachel) which for me is the main part of the game, i want to know these people, i want to know what they did, what they plan to do and where they did it, woud a small bio kill them?
Faith

923 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont think suikoden 4 is that bad its just difficult to find all the stars really. and i think that u were lucky i average about 20-30 fights when i go out i must just have really bad luck! :mrgreen:
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Might have something to do with the rune being called the Rune of Punishment :mrgreen:
But hey that stopped when you get all 108 Star's of Destiny.

Suikoden IV was an ok game. I would stick it at the bottom as the worst in the series though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: