Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SARSadmin's Review of Suikoden 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is to the original, similar to how Suikoden III was to Suikoden II. Or, something like that. I did expect it to play out very similarly to the first game and, well, it sure did that really well. Unlike most, I think that the later half of the game at a pleasant pace. Not too slowly as II, but not as rushed as III. The retaking of conquered areas actually felt more involving than, say, retaking of Muse in II.

As for the length of cutscenes, I've heard mixed reviews about them. Some felt like there weren't enough, others thought that they were too much. Luckily the New Game+ gave you the option to skip every single cutscenes though.

Encounter rates can be troublesome, but that all-new One Slice rune takes care of all. I liked it a lot.

Oh, well. Now I'm going back to Suikoden III. I never thought that the obvious complexity of its systems would be missed this much after playing IV. Trust me, you'll learn to appreciate what they did with III more this way... ha.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll go ahead and answer that.

Quote:

Ok... my first question is about the voices, are they good and do they make you feel the characters or not (I know that voices well probably change when the English version is released but I just want to know).

I can't judge that very well, since I don't understand *what* are saying the characters. But japanese voice actors are always good.

Quote:

My second one is... about the items (healing items in general), is there any improvement in their effect or in the way of useing them (I hope it's not like Suikoden 3) , and is their anything different about how many items we can hold in the inventory, in the bag, or in the position of every character.

This time around, you can carry on unlimited items. You have an infinite inventory, and can have as much as 99 of every item. You don't need to equip items in a character to use them in battle, they can be used directly from the item menu.

Quote:

My third and last question is... about the runes in general, are the spells better in looking (visual) and power, and if they are better in sense of usage or not.

Generally, the spell effects are little spectacular. Even a 4th apell or magic combo is gone in a few seconds. About their power and usage in battle, it's exactly the same spells as before, with little changes if any. I find myself using them much more because physical attacks have been severely downgraded. It's as if they had gone back to S1 formula.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a disappoinment about the item thing, because that always made some boss fights interesting for me in the other ones because you have to be careful on what items you bring. :D Oh well, atleast we won't be annoyed!
Funeral

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so i guess that items dont go 'rotten' anymore? or are there any 'food' type items at all? i know there is no cooking mini game, but does food still exist? or is it just potions and shtuff?

anyhoo, its too bad that the rune animations arent all that long. i liked how some of the stronger ones in 2 were long. although i didnt like how in 3, the weakest fire spell (flaming arrows) took like 2 minuets to finish. grr! they should have a long/short spell option or something.

so what about combo attacks? are there alot more in this game now that you can only have 4 stars in your party? or do you have to resort to carefully picking your party to use them like in 1,2?
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I am a little worried like most of you. After all, his reviews are pretty reliable. I think he would give any Suikoden game a fair chance. But I am still very excited for this game. I heard from most peaple the music is better than the third and they even use similar themes from the first two Suikodens. Plus the looks of this one are deffinetly an upgrade from the third.
Short scenes do worry me a little. I like to sit back and watch a good scene. Helps me relax before the next battle. But I would much rather have shorten scenes than scenes that are way to long. Check out Xenosaga for example (even though I love this game). Way unbalanced between action and cut scenes. Some of those cut scenes were like, 30 mins. I like short scenes compared to that. Plus the game play sounds pretty good. And even if this story isn't as good as 2 or even 1, I bet I will enjoy it better than 3 if it is more Suikoden like. And last but not least, this one sounds like more of an actual war compared to 3. That's a big plus for me.
I think people keep expecting another Suiko 2 (which I don't blame them for because we all want another one) when in all likelyhood, were probably not going to see another game as quite as good as Suiko 2. Suiko 2 is very hard to top for most of us. In fact, probably no game is going to top it for me. I realized this after 3. So I've basically given up on expecting another Suiko 2.

But yeah, I'm still excited even though I'm let down a little by the cut scene problem. :oops: By the way sorry if this post is a little sloppy. Gotta run to my next class.
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

skymansxeno wrote:
I think people keep expecting another Suiko 2 (which I don't blame them for because we all want another one) when in all likelyhood, were probably not going to see another game as quite as good as Suiko 2. Suiko 2 is very hard to top for most of us. In fact, probably no game is going to top it for me. I realized this after 3. So I've basically given up on expecting another Suiko 2.

Your comment is similar to how Sonic fans feel about Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I for one expect too much about a Suikoden game so it's kinda my fault if I'm disappointed. I'm sure most people have the same problem, especially the ones that follow every new bit of information regarding a new game. We always want more and better.
What I'm absolutely certain as of now is that the gameplay itself is up to its expectations. As friendly and enjoyable as Suikoden 2.

I will blame the voices from now on about ruining the plot somehow. I feel like they don't fit in a Suikoden game, and I find better a good event music while the characters just talk more about what's happening. Basically, more text and no voices would've been better IMO.
But don't quote me because I don't understand japanese and I only can talk about the overall feeling of the cutscenes.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About the length of cutscenes, I think watching 'em for yourself and make your judgment then is a much better option. Personally, I thought the cutscenes were adequate to present the plot without making the game felt too much like a movie...
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would not mind long cutscenes as long as they have stuff to do with the plot. Also, out of 10 what would you give this game? I just hope that question is not annoying...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your review was very good, it didn't express like or dislike just gave some facts. Still very anxious to play it but thank you for the review.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't get this question answered in Suikosource, but do any of the old books (if there are any) in Suikoden 4 reveal events prior to the timeline in S4's timeframe?

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it reveals some of the things that happened between Kooluk and SME.
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Such as?

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Tenko Star

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing the Japanese S4 now for a few days.I'm 16 or so hours in and am guessing that I'm around a third to halfway through the game. So far the only thing I really don't like is when you have to dock at a port, as it can be really tough getting to it at times. Otherwise, I haven't seen any cut scenes I'd find annoyingly long, and the pace of the story seems decent. The voices seem appropriate for a given character, none so far seem overtly cute or whiny, or overdramatic. Even without knowing any Japanese I've still been able to differentiate between runes, antiques, defensive equipment and healing items. And surprisingly, I haven't found it difficult to figure out what to do to advance the story.

In my opinion, I can hardly wait to play it in English!
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With all these flaws in mind would anyone like to give IV a number grade? I don't recall anyone giving it a grade on a scale so if it is not something anyone would like to do (or allowed to do) then never mind, but for a guy who haven't opened my copy and played it, a number grade may put it in better perspective for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: