Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Foreshadowing in Thomas' Chapter 1? (Suikoden3, obviously)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Foreshadowing in Thomas' Chapter 1? (Suikoden3, obviously) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just replaying Thomas' Chapter 1 today, and I went through with the Thomas quest (to rescue the young boy also named Thomas). It got me to thinking, though...could the younger Thomas show up again in the Suikoden series, as a Star of Destiny?

First, we learn his name. We really wouldn't have to know, though...he's supposedly just an NPC. We don't learn his mother's name. I'm also PRETTY sure his character model is unique (I don't remember seeing him in other towns, but I may be wrong). Finally, when he's rescued, his mother says he should grow up to be just like the other Thomas (brave, strong, etc). Keep in mind also that the quest has nothing to do with the story, and just seems to be thrown in there. (The again, one could say that for both of Thomas' chapters...)

I know I'm most likely wrong, but I think it'd be pretty neat to see the younger Thomas return in a later Suikoden game, don't you?

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's got possibilities, for sure. But I should also point out that Ko in Suikoden II also had a unique character model, but he was just there as someone who viewed Riou as his idol as well as to tip you off to the McDohl side-quest.

However, since Lucia was an enemy character in Suikoden II and became a Star of Destiny in Suikoden III, it opens the possibilities for the younger Thomas to become as Star as well. We've already had two Stars share a name (Hugo) but I think it all comes down to when and where subsequent Suikodens take place. I can't really see the younger Thomas showing up as a Star of Destiny in a game based in Falena, but it wouldn't be unreasonable in a game featuring the Nameless Lands or Harmonia.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In addition to the two Hugos, there were also two Gordons and two Vikis.
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the other Thomas was mostly just included to make a point of the fact that two different characters can, indeed, have the same name.

I doubt his importance is any more than that or that he will ever return because he was never given a portrait.
Eriatarka

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, even the most likely candidate of II to return that didnt was Pilika...so I doubt you'll see Thomas again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well Bechum...or whatever didn't have a portrait and ended up in suikoden 3. i personally would like to see some sub-characters that you've met in pervious suikodens to show up in future suikodens. i think it would add alittle more "flavor" to the game.

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are several runemasters with names, or people who say "one day I will be a great military strategist" like in Drakemouth village in SII. Going off of what zeal said, I think it would be a nice touch to bring some of these NPCs back in a future game just so when you replay the older Suikodens you could say "HOLY SHMOLY!!!!!!!!!!" ya know? :)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, who knows. Like I said, it's probably unlikely, but it could happen.

Notice, also, that the younger Thomas lives in Nor village, which is not seen in the game. Maybe it's farther to the north? That'd put him at the Outlands, which haven't been featured yet.

But who knows? I just think it'd be cool for him to show up in another game.

Sinocard wrote:
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe it was put in to reinforce the "Thomas is an ordinary boy" theme...

And IIRC, Thomas did live in the Outlands for most of his life.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Gwendal on the fact that it may have been nothing more than to show that even though Thomas is this grand star of destiny for the game he is very much normal like anyone else. A self made hero so to speak that is as common as the next guy he just so happens to have a large part in the game for at least a little bit. They could have done it more with the other characters in the game but im sure they were too busy using them to build the overall game storyline. Being that Thomas is not one of the possible fire bearers I dont think(dunno it's been awhile since I played through the game) they could afford to show another side to him.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lilly was in suiko 2 and she turns out to be a SOD in 3. Shes a funn charector too(and hott as well)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas couldn't be a flame champion.

Sinocard wrote:
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really believe that we will be seeing the younger Thomas in any of the upcoming Suikoden games because as I saw it he didn't give any kind of significant to the game when he made an appearance, all he did is just thank our Thomas for rescuing him from the boar.

That's why I don't really believe that it will happen but who knows I might be wrong and it do happen.

In the past, we saw that Konami gave a chance for an insignificant character like Ace to make an appearance in Suikoden as an important character who do have some kind of a role in the game even when he wasn't known in Suikoden 2.

Therefore, there might be a chance to see the younger Thomas or any other NPC in the coming Suikoden games but I wouldn't expect it to happen because we yet didn't see a lot of other characters who did have more impact in the story of the Suikoden games than younger Thomas did.

Anyway, we only have to wait and see if any of them do make an appearance in the following Suikoden games. :)

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I highly doubt that Thomas will reappear. It just doesn't seem likely. He was very unimportant to the story. The star Thomas has a higher chance of returning I think. The little Thomas boy has about the same chance of returning as the mantor trainer NPC named Rick that no one probably remembers.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rick is the Mantor trained that gets injured, the one that Franz finds.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: