Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Point and Click Aventure games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Point and Click Aventure games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Inspired by a topic at Their Star I bring it to you, the Suikox masses.

A few questions, are point and click adventures out dated?
Whats you favorite one?
Do you even like them at all?
Do you think its time they al moved on and used an interface like Broken Sword: the Sleeping Dragon did?
And finnaly, what games do you suggest people should be playing?

For me i just love rhe Broken Sword and Monkey Island series, even if some of the puzzles in Monkey Island don't make any scence e.g Using a biscuit cutter on a rubber tree to fill a hole in your boat.

I played Sleeping Dragon on the PS2 so the interface worked really well, but i hear that it wasn't 'all that' on the PC, but should that matter? For these games isn't the story and the puzzle more important?
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yes. Point-and-click adventure.

It is a shame that it seems to fade away, for I am a fan of this genre. I could not comprehend why it has so few fans nowadays. Puzzle and story are the most important aspect of this kind of genre, and I think that people nowadays still love puzzle and story. So why?

The interface should not matter. In my honest opinion point-and-click style is the most suitable for this genre; it can capture the sense of exploring and uncovering clues, as well as interacting with objects.

Of the many point-and-click adventure I have, the one that made a lasting impression to me was Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail. What can I say? I was still a teenager struggling through puberty back then. Also, the puzzles were actually clever and it had many hidden easter eggs.

I will also recommend Ripley's: Believe It or Not, as you get to see the many wondrous things that Ripley has recorded around the globe, albeit a little exaggerated.

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Point and Click Adventure is the genre that brought me into the world of gaming at first. I love the Broken Sword and Monkey Island series of course and Grim Fandango is another great P&CA-game. I'd loved to play the grim reaper! Scythe, the coolest weapon ever!
Discworld 2 is also cool. The great Terry Pratchett humor.

I have forgotten to answer your questions! I think it should be produced more Point and Click Adventures. I prefer the old-school look and interface. I think it's the best if a game looks similar to Broken Sword and it could be played alike.

The Fool
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why does it have to be point and click? There are great adventure games that aren't point and click: Grim Fandango, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit;etc. I've found that point and click adventure game fans don't want evolution. If it's not point and click and you're not doing zany things like, say, in a Lucasarts adventure game then it's not adventure! In order for a genre to evolve you need to push them forward. Keeping the genre in point and click fashion, for the most part, along with it's jaded fans, killed the genre in America. The genre didn't evolve and felt like the same game except with a new coat of paint. Monkey Island plays just like Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle plays just like Full Throttle, The Dig plays just like The Longest Journey. No evolution whatsoever.Point and click style, while fun, is severely outdated. Unless they want to be innovative and mix point and click with normal control ala ds, I wish they'd have interfaces like Grim Fandango, Indigo and so forth.

But anyways, some great adventure games I've played:

Sam and Max
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island 1 and 2 (haven't played 3 yet)
The Longest Journey
Maniac Mansion (pc version thankfully)
Psychonauts (adventure game with a platforming twist)

It's a genre I just recently got into. I can't wait for Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Looks awesome.
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love these games, but they have to contain some good, but not impossible gameplay.
Wouldn't like to say how much time I've spent on the following ones:
-Broken Sword and The shadow of the Templars (good ol' George Stobard :p )
-Broken Sword and the Smoking Mirror
-Monkey Island(s) 1-2-3 & 4
-Grim Fandango (this game was truly great)
(these are the ones I remember, think there's 1 more but can't find the name of it annymore)
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There has been some evolution, compare the interface of Broken Sword:Sleeping Dragon with the previous two games, there is a definitive differnce.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Grim Fandango is the best point & click game I ever played, but that vault in the under water part always got on my nerves argh !!!

Last time I replayed the game it crashed just when I opened the bloody vault....
So I decided to quit and play another game :D

Now that I think of it... I hardly ever finish a game O.o

I played Tales of Symphonia till 1 hour of the end and then I left it -_-'
Guess I don't wanne know the ending or something, any psychiatrist want to give a go at me, go ahead :D

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think I have played any point and click adventure games. I should try to get into one of them one of these days.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I don't have a PC (I run off a mac) I have very little experience with this genre--would the Myst series qualify? I adored Riven.
Also, there's one on the DS called "Trace Memory" that I am quite fond of...it's just too darn SHORT.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea, Another Code on the Nintendo DS, thats the game I forgot, Broken Sword And The Shadow Of The Templats is also on the Game Boy Color if I'm not mistaken, (was a rare one to find tho)

but as for this game, Another Code, I think it is quite nicely made, some pretty hard puzzles but nice envirementals and good story line :)

Zephon
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They ported Shadow of the Templars to Game boy colour? Jinkies im impressed.

I too forgot about Another Code/Trace Memory, im gonna have to start playing it again at some point.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I highly reccommend it--except for the one fact that it only took me about 5 hours to beat it. There was one puzzle in there though--*groan* It was one of those slidey tile puzzles, you know? It only had nine tiles and it still took me a good hour to figure it out! >_<

I think they need to explore this genre a little more on the DS--the touch screen just screams for it. Phoenix Wright: Ace Atorney has some similar features in the "Examine" portions of the game when you're looking for evidence...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found another game, I don't know if you people would concider this a C&P but I like Syberia allot aswell, nice gfx & hard puzzles (well hard is relative offcourse)

Zephon
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found another game, I don't know if you people would concider this a C&P but I like Syberia allot aswell, nice gfx & hard puzzles (well hard is relative offcourse)

Zephon
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad to see I am not the only one with that double post bug :D

Don't worry Zephon, Sars or Axiose will just delete one of those two :)

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: