Suikoden Utopian and Informational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 2 graphics bad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Suikoden 2 graphics bad? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I was playing a bit of Suikoden II yesterday in preperation for Suikoden V (just Hai-yo mini games and a few other things for fun). But I got to thinking how some people always said that the suikoden II graphics were bad just because it was not in 3D. Well, I don't necessarily think this is the case. In fact, I think making Suikoden II 2D was a wise decision. The reason is because 3D graphics at that time, in my opinion, were not that spectacular. In fact, I thought it was crap for the most part. Suikoden II, however, has some of the nicest 2D action ever in a video game (I love the bosses and the blue gate rune) and therefore actually had some of the better graphics on the PS1. I'm not however saying that Suikoden shouldn't have gone 3D. 3D is a natural progression that it needed. But I do think they made a wise decision to wait till PS2 to go 3D.

Anyways, any comments?
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked the 2D graphics for Suikoden II. At the time, I was used to playing RPG with 2D graphics, and I thought it gave the game a cute, cartoon look to it. I thought it fit well. Also, I'm a big 2D graphics fan, in general; and most of that stems from my love for Street Fighter II, and King of Fighters. Another reason is that reason you mentioned: I wasn't impressed with the 3D graphics then.

We've come a long way since Suikoden II. 3D graphics are lookin' a whole lot better, but I still miss those 2D days. Maybe in some future side story Suikoden title, they'll make a throwback game, and use 2D graphics. Bring back that old school look.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

3D-style would not be able to capture all the styles and feelings that stem from 2D-style and vice-versa. There are bad 2D graphics and good 2D graphics; there are bad 3D graphics and good 3D graphics. Is 3D better than 2D? No, they can not be compared. As long as they are beautifully rendered, then it is all good to me.
It is kind of like comparing the live-actions and the cartoons...

In the case of Suikoden II, using 2D graphic is an excellent desicion. Could you really capture the intensity of the cooking showdown, Luca Blight's insanity, the political borders and armies, the battles with unites and runes and the war maps with the 3D technology of that time? I really doubt it.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm personally quite fond of the 2-D games, myself as it takes a real crowd to appreciate the game for it's playability rather than it's "ooh! It looks like real water on a blade of grass" factor.

It'd that Suikoden II over a lot of 3D games, anyday. Besides... people can't complain about camera angles in 2D games. I don't think I've ever heard anybody do so. XD

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II's 2D graphics rocked. I just wished they had spent as much time on them the rest of the game as they so obviously did in the beginning. It was mind numbingly cute how Riou ran around with that cloth at the fort. They even put wax drippings from the candles on the floor. It's true though that you can't compare 2D to 3D. Both have their merits.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i was found of suikoden 2 2d graphics. if you compare them to suikoden 1 they are so much better. the whole rune spells graphics are way better, especially with the soul eater.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't a big fan of Suikoden II's battle graphics. I much preferred the map graphics, especially the towns.

I don't think that Suikoden's movement was particularly harmful. Suikoden IV (outside of a few obvious flaws) has a pretty nice-looking 3D engine. Too bad your hero ran like he had a stick up his butt, and it's a shame that the right stick had the left and right axis reversed compared to most FPS games. The first-person view and the 360-degree camera were definitely nice touches uncommonly seen in an RPG.
Sydnee

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II's 2D graphics is the best! The background is nicely done combined with the BGM (I love Riou's hometown). ^_^

Suiko II's graphics are the best in 2D rpg on PS1.

OT: I hope the restore S4's FPS camera rotation and 360 camera :wink:

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zorrow

0 Potch
348 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II graphics cannot be labelled as bad unless you force a comparison between 2D and 3D. I myself disliked the graphics you get in the world map, Rious looked extremely childish and girlish(I thought) in the world map. but inside towns, battles and all that, good work Konami. I myself prefer Suikoden II's graphics vs suikoden III, I'm still not very used to the 3D style, though it does have more benefits.

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a fan of 2D. Honestly, I would buy even the FF games like seven, eight or nine with Suikoden 2 graphics. Many people I have shown Suikoden 2 said it looks old school in the negative meaning, but I think it's rather classic. The ambiences look good and you can see every twinkle of the characters, you can actually see the emotions on the character's faces, like the scene in which Nanami gets hurt by the arrows. With good graphics (and I consider Suikoden 2's graphics as good) 2D worlds and towns look neat, but in 3D I have seen too many bad graphics as if I would prefer 3D over 2D. Besides of the normal favour of one, I think the graphics are good and usefull as needed for the story to be told in a proper way.

The Fool
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not bad per se. In fact, it's quite beautiful. But, for all intents and purposes, it's rather limited. Some of the finest locations in the 3D Suikoden games would never feel the same if implemented in 2D graphics.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II has the most beautiful 2D graphics I've ever seen. There are so many small details you take for granted unless you really pay attention, such as dust plumes when Riou runs, or his hair and bandanna thing bouncing. To me, its little things like like those that put a game's graphics over the top. MGS 2 had that, and the N64 incarnations of Zelda had it as well, 3D or no 3D.

I'm not saying that Suikoden II's graphics were more advanced or realistic than a 3D game might be, however in terms of sheer quality I'd rank it up there with the best.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The graphics in SII are amazing due to their the great animation. Like for instance, when Nanami catches up with with Riou at the beginning of the game and shakes him. The animation and spite quality is great.

Ofcourse, while being a beautiful game, it still has nothing on Valkyrie Profile. That game is astonishing.
Mafioso
moss2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time period Suikoden II came out * which was 1998-1999* 3D graphics sucked anyways....they weren't perfected at the time. The 2D graphics I always thought were very detailed and good for the times. Besides the fact if the game was 3D, there would be so many limits on it and you wouldn't be able to explore as much as we do in 2D graphics.
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish that Konami Remakes SIII and SIV in 2D graphics, i always loved that bird's eye view perspective....
Idk... SII is totally cool with graphics, I can't even imagine it in 3D...
It's great just the way it is.. :wink:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: