Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FFXII gets perfect score from Famitsu...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: FFXII gets perfect score from Famitsu... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's right, the upcoming Final Fantasy game joined the ranks of 5 other games and received a perfect 10 from all 4 reviewers in Famitsu.

What does this mean? Well, first of all, any chance of Suikoden V getting any "RPG of the Year" awards have been obliterated. Also, sales will probably drop drastically in Japan, and I'm guessing they won't be too great here in the US either (even though FFXII won't be out for several months at least, there's also KHII combatting SV).

Personally, I don't trust this rating at all. There is no such thing as a perfect game, and just because a game is popular and gets high scores from the press, it doesn't mean I'll enjoy it. Also, despite the fact that FFXII looks suprisingly good, I'm very sure that the only reason it actually managed to get a perfect score was because of the FF name. It'll probably end up being on par with several of the other RPGs that will be released this year, who I'm sure will not/did not get perfect scores from Famitsu.

Lastly, this means that when FFXII is released, all other RPG sales will be ridiculously low, and it will basically blow every other game in the genre down to very limited popularity. To be honest, I was kinda hoping that the FF series would lose even more fans, so that some (better, IMO) series could get a larger fanbase.

Last edited by poorguy171 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nintendogs 40/40...

I think that says it all, Famitsu has become a publicity Mag this last few years, their reviews have become irrelevant to me.

However, something might be special about Final Fantasy XII, I'm eagerly waiting to find out my self, this news aren't directly bad for Suikoden V though, well in the US and Europe at least...
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't trust Famitsu at 100%. Trust them around 30%. Most of their classifications and reviews tend to be biased nowadays. I still remember the days when they were the most respected magazine in the world. Nowadays they are a shadow of themselves. Oh, did they play it for an hour, or was it a full explored game review?

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth wrote:
Nintendogs 40/40...

I think that says it all, Famitsu has become a publicity Mag this last few years, their reviews have become irrelevant to me.

However, something might be special about Final Fantasy XII, I'm eagerly waiting to find out my self, this news aren't directly bad for Suikoden V though, well in the US and Europe at least...

I feel the same way. Nintendogs and Zelda: The Windwaker both did not deserve perfect scores at all. Famitsu might be great for getting exclusive details on games not released yet, but any reviews they do really mean nothing to me. Plus, with their grudge against Konami (hence lower scores in most cases), I really have no reason to trust them.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If my feces was scooped out of the tiolet bowl, left out in the sun for a few days, and started growing hairy fungus on it, then had a Square-Enix logo stamped on it, it'd get at least a 35 from Famitsu.

Still, it's a mark of some distinction that people know this, yet will still quickly check to see what score Famitsu gives a game.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Darkillumina

The Red Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah I would take that with a grain of salt. The demo of FFXII was crap and was not very exciting. Even the graphics weren't as good as expected. FFXII is basically a poor man's Final Fantasy XI. It plays like FFXI except the interaction part is missing. The battle system seems to be basically a stripped down version of Final Fantasy XI.

I remember an old buddy of mine who said, Im still waiting for the next REAL Final Fantasy. I couldn't agree more, the era of REAL Final Fantasies ended with FFIX. FFXI is good, but it's an MMORPG so it doesnt count.

Of course it's not hard to slip Famitsu a few dollars/Yen to bump the score. This practice is rampant in the industry nowadays which is why I trust fan reviews more then the professionals with the exception of PSM.

In all honesty though I couldn't care less about what some Japanese publication rates a game. I will be the judge, jury and executioner of any game I play. They can continue to harness the illusion that they actually mean something in the world of gaming but in actuality they mean jack-shit.

So is it written and so shall it come to pass. Quote the Raven. Nevermore.

"Silence is the true friend that never betrays."
"I am always watching. Remember that."
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How is FFXII not a real Final Fantasy? Because it tries to do something different? The narrowmindedness of some fans is really keeping this genre from evolving. All of the rpgs that try somoething different from their established series (Dragon Quarter, Suikoden III, Final Fantasy XII) are shitted on just because people want the same damn game every time. I'm really sick of it.

It seems to be a stripped down version of FFXI because you didn't take the time and experiement with it. Most of the people I know who hate FFXII's battle system don't even know how to use it.

Person 1: I dont' like how the characters attack by themselves!!!
Me: It does that because the gambits are on. A gambit allows for easier actions, so if happen to forget to cure when you're really low on hp the AI will do it for you. And even then, you have full control of your party. All you have to do is open the menu and press left/right to switch to the next character's action menu. It's the same as in past FF's where you press triangle to skip that current character and go to the next character in line except you use the dpad. You have full control of your party too. It's not like you HAVE to use gambits. You can turn them off! In fact, you even have full control of your party even WITH gambits on.

Person 2: I don't like this real time battle system! I like turn based!
Me: First off, most FF's weren't turned based to begin with. They were time based. It's called active time base system for a reason, not active turn base. The only FF that's turn based is FFX. Even then, this battle system isn't real time. In order to be real time you have to have the ability to use your weapon or whatever with it's own button, like in a fighting game or DMC or something. Everything is still menu based. In fact, it's ATB in reverse. Instead of waiting for a menu to pop up so you can initiate your attacks, you gain immediate access to your menu and wait for the characters to do the attacks after you've picked them. It's still time based.

Person 3: There's no strategy! It's just attack, attack, attack!!
Me: And? Past FF's were different how? Most normal battles all you had to do was press attack. There's lots of strategy in FFXII's battle system, you just have to seek it. For example, magic attacks have area of effect. If your party members are in the way, they'll get burned by your own magic. Another thing, position goes a long way: Use Penelo or Balthier to snipe from afar while casting magic, healing, as your other guys tank and keep the enemy at bay. It's really fun because it's a standard FF battle system but in a 3d plane where you can move around and strategize based off of your arrangement.

There are other complaints but honestly. I'm so sick of people complaining about FFXII's battle system with such ignorance just because it's different. I don't mind if you don't like it, but ignorance just because something isn't the way you're used to pisses me off to no end.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm completely not interested in Final Fantasy XII.

The battle system, from what I saw in the demo, has potential. I hope they make it so you can actually avoid attacks. I didn't like how, if an enemy targeted you, you would get hit. But, that was just the demo, so it's entirely possible that they'll tweak things.

Other than that, though? Dislike at worst and complete and total disinterest at best. None of the characters appeal to me in any way, shape, or form. I don't even like their designs. The storyline sounds incredibly cliched and totally boring. The setting is dull and lifeless to me. I honestly couldn't care less about Ivalice.

Yeah, so this will probably be the second Final Fantasy (the first being XI. I'm not a fan of MMORPGs) that I pass on -- second in a row, at that. Hopefully XIII will spark my interest again.

But, it's no skin off my back. Suikoden V, Kingdom Hearts 2, Shadow Hearts 3, Persona 3, Devil Summoner...I'll be set in RPGs for a long time. :D

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're not even willing to try it? Judging characters and story off a demo is pretty silly to me. Especially in regards to a Matsuno game because hiis games have such in depth plots. Even more so when the demo didn't really have any story sequences. Just two trailers, but hardly any story at all. Most of this game has been under wraps over the years so no spoilers could leak out. We're just NOW learning about the character customization system. There's so much we don't know about FFXII that basing all judgement on a very very old build of a game, just ain't gonna do justice.

Also, what's more cliche in this FF compared to others? What's less appealing in this FF compared to others? The emphasis is on political intrigue and character emotion instead of save the world fantasy hoo ha. Something very comparable to the Suikoden games. Atleast in this FF there's no saving the world (most likely, as all Matsuno games have NEVER been about saving the world).

Last edited by Himuro on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Still, it's a mark of some distinction that people know this, yet will still quickly check to see what score Famitsu gives a game.

True. Or how people will point at US online reviewers and complain endlessly about how they score things and call it a pile o' stinky stuff, yet they still somehow know and care what the score is. Hrmm...odd that. ^_^

Love it or leave it....both with reviews and Final Fantasy. I mean, we can argue until we turn blue in the face, and you're still not going to convince the FF fans that Dragon Quest is a better series or convince the folks who detest all things FF to care about the series. Heck, I have friends who think that anything that doesn''t have little 2d sprites running around isn't "real" Final Fantasy, so to each their own.

That being said, I wasn't too thrilled by the demo myself either. It was pretty enough, but not really so much so that it could be set apart from others of this generation of games. I'm still going to get it, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to cure my my head cold or anything.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I'm not going to try it as, like I said, none of it interests me. Why would I play a 50+ hour video game and be bored to tears the whole time?

Also, I'm not judging the characters based on the demo. I'm judging the characters based on what we know of them. And from what we know of them, none of them interest me.

I understand this game is about political strife and suchforth. So are countless others. The difference is, this time, the world seems boring to me, so it doesn't interest me. I don't really see why that's such a horrible thing.

YES. YES IT CAN.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try as in rent. :P You don't have to buy a game to try it.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not excited about this game either. I found the battling in the demo to be awkward; it's a bad cross between the regular old ATB and an action rpg. I hope it has been changed somewhat (like the can't dodge attacks thing) between the demo and the release, but I'm not shelling out money for it yet. I will likely buy it, but not until it gets around the $20 or less range and I'm not so poor anymore. I haven't been truly excited over a Final Fantasy game in quite some time since the last few have all blended together in mediocrity for me, so I'll pass on this for now.

I hope I'm wrong about FFXII, but I will be waiting a while to find out.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point remains that I would be playing a game that I have absolutely no interest in.

Should I play every single game that comes out just to make sure I'm actually not interested in them? 'Cause if so, I gotta cut this comment short and go buy Ed, Edd, and Eddy: The Mis Ed-Ventures.

YES. YES IT CAN.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have that same feeling Blackjack. I'm just not all that excited about the new Final Fantasy. Maybe it's because of that piss-poor thing called FFX-2 that left a foul taste in my mouth. Hopefully I'm wrong and because my expectations are so low, I will be pleasantly surprised when I get around to playing it.

About the Famitsu review. They may have paid for it, I don't know. I've never put much stock in Famitsu as they remind me of the prostitute of the video game industry. They'll get in bed with whomever pays them some coin.

I'll wait for my fellow fans to play it.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: