Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Trade deadline
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: NHL Trade deadline Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Roster size limits have been disregarded as of last night so hopefully a few trades will start to go down between now and tomorrow afternoon. Nothing's happened as of yet I have to admit but I really hope something interesting goes down - I doubt we'll have anything to top Thornton's trade to San Jose that's about the biggest blockbuster trade of the year. That or perhaps the Hossa for Heatley one actually anyway they're in the past.

A few names that have been going around include Bertuzzi (unlikely to be traded), Luongo (would cost a lot in trade, a lot), Jokinen (possible since he refuses to sign a new deal), Recchi, Tkachuk (says he won't waive NTC), Roloson, Vyborny, Noronen or Biron (Noronen recently professed his annoyance at Buffalo's three goaltender system), Derek Morris, Denis Gauthier...and many, many more.

I'll attempt to keep this updated with any trades I spot that have happened, in the mean time here's a link to TSN.ca's trade deadline site for anyone who feels like checking.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/trade_deadline/

Trades worth mentioning

1. Minnesota Wild trade Dwayne Roloson to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a 1st round draft pick and a conditional 3rd round draft pick if Roloson resigns with the Oilers.

2. Luke Richardson traded from Columbus Blue Jackets to Toronto Maple Leafs for a 5th round pick and a conditional 4th round pick.

3. Ville Nieminen traded from the New York Rangers to the San Jose Sharks for a 3rd round pick

4. Conditional 3rd round pick, Dennis Grebeshkov and Jeff Tambellini traded from LA Kings in exchange for Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel.

5. The Montreal Canadiens trade Jose Theodore to the Colorado Avalanche for David Aebischer.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Last edited by Exile on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A little bit of roster movement has begun;

Quote:
Tampa's Norm Milley, Phoenix goalie Philippe Sauve; Philadelphia's Turner Stevenson; Atlanta's Rico Fata and Chicago's Andy Hilbert.

Turner Stevenson being cleared off Philadelphia's books via the waiver wire or at least moved to the minors indicates Clarke is clearing a little bit of extra salary room. Stevenson should have been a good third line guy but I guess we have enough of those without him. From what I've been hearing he was struglling with his play too being a bit too slow these days and very much hampered with injuries along the way.

More to come in that regard I'm sure.

The first real move becomes apparent, the oilers have got a new goalie - there was some speculation around this in the news and most said either CuJo or Belfour. They said probably not Belfour since he'd want his club option year guaranteed for next year and it was pricey so most speculated CuJo to the Oil. Minnesota have been meaning to clear their goaltending situation fully as for a few years they've had Roloson and Fernandez, this move makes a lot of sense in that regard, in return for Rolo they have received a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. 1st rounders should be a premium item in a salary capped league since it becomes more important to train and bring in your own young cheaper talent I think it's a reasonable trade on both ends for the teams involved but it highlights Nonis's point that goaltenders are expensive at this point in time.

The conditional pick is a third rounder if Roloson resigns with the oilers next season.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to see McCabe gone from the Leafs. He wants `Gonchar-money` which equates to about 5 million a year and a 5 year contract.

For someone who can't keep the puck out of his own net (as a defensemen), that's a bit too much. He has a nice shot, but that's all he has. He's a one trick pony who has somehow managed to put up a lot of points this year early in the season when all defensemen were scoring boat loads.

He is a 30 year old defensemen who is neither big nor fast. After he got his ass handed to him by Chara, I have seen him turtle to smaller, weaker players. He can't play defensively, he doesn't understand when and when not to pinch and he lets opposing players gain our zone with speed too often. Has he not been taught to hold the line!?!?!

He should be gone this year, trade him for youth.

.... I love my Leafs and if we can make it into the playoffs, I think we'll do pretty good. But there was talk about McCabe for Norris early in the year and it drove me nuts. He made the Olympics and it drove me nuts. Get rid of him, his big head and get youth.

That's my rant on Caber, as for the rest of the league, Bertuzzi will be shopped for help at defense and maybe goalie but I don't think anything will happen. Auld isn't too bad, but I don't think he'll carry the team in the playoffs. Noronen, Roloson and even Jiggy are out on the market for teams looking for goalies. If someone was willing to take Eddie Belfour wtih his ginormous contract, we'd send him for a bag of hockey pucks.

Edmonton has been stock piling defensemen, I think we'll see one of those D and a forward for a goalie. Maybe Cujo? Despite what Sutter says, Calgary will look for help in the offensive side of the game. Iggy can't do it all.

In the end, John Fergussun Jr. has taken away our team's unofficial captain, let go our best sniper and brought over a bunch of bums in FA. His best move so far it seems was the waiver pick up of Chad Kilger and resigning Kaberle long-term. I hope, no I pray he doesn't screw us up anymore.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You must have been writing that when I posted again it seems - me, double post? Never...Sorry.

I don't think much of McCabe honestly, he can ask for Gonchar money but everyone knows Gonchar's overpaid, sure he brings offence but both of them are a liability in defence. To me scoring from the defence is a bonus since first and foremost you just want them keeping the puck out of your net. Obviously you need a good offensive defenceman or two as well to run the powerplay units but failing that having a good stay at home guy out there and a creative forward running the point would do even.

I think my lack of respect for McCabe stems from the last playoff meetings between Philly and Toronto, the Flyers embarassed McCabe all series, I think he had one game where he was around -4 on the stat sheet and he made some really critical turnovers in the series. After that series I find it hard not to look forward to seeing him against us and I can't say I'd want him on my team as a result.

With a push the Leafs can still make the playoffs, they're sitting 6 points outside 8th spot right now but they'll have a hell of a time, if they want to make the playoffs this year I think you've got to keep McCabe at this point, he's got 34 Powerplay points so he's certainly working in that regard, upsetting that screws things up a bit I'd say. The question JFJ has to ask himself is making the playoffs with McCabe and possibly losing him for nothing or missing the playoffs but getting some youth in return the better option? I have to think with the way the Toronto media and fanbase yearn for success that at least making the playoffs is an important goal for JFJ, I don't think he'll trade McCabe because of this. I've been known to get things compleeeeetely wrong though.

Quote:
Norris

It's a Lidstrom year I think.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Figures I'd run into a Philly Fan. One of the teams that has beaten us down over the years. Let me go find an Ottawa fan and we'll complete the triangle Leafs < Flyers < Sens < Leafs.... :)

PF wrote:
To me scoring from the defence is a bonus since first and foremost you just want them keeping the puck out of your net.

My thoughts exactly. If you can't keep the puck out of your own net, you shouldn't be a defenseman. Philly abused him and Kaberle. I expected Philly to abuse Kabe because he's small. The man can skate like Paul Coffey, but he's too small for Philly's big forwards.

Sadly, I agree, JFJ won't trade him, but I can always hope he does.

Tomorrow will be a fun day. I hope Toronto improves their club long term. Even if it hurts us short term. In Toronto, I'll have 16 hour coverage of draft day from two channels, so I'll have plenty to watch :)

Quote:
It's a Lidstrom year I think.

I hope Chara wins it, so he asks for more money than Ottawa can afford and we can move that behemoth to the west.

...I'm a leaf fan, I do lots of hoping...

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Tomorrow will be a fun day. I hope Toronto improves their club long term. Even if it hurts us short term. In Toronto, I'll have 16 hour coverage of draft day from two channels, so I'll have plenty to watch Smile

I'm tremendously jealous of that, I won't get anything where I am.

Leafs have made their big deadline pickup today, Luke Richardson for a 5th round pick and a conditional 4th rounder. I don't know the condition for this one but I assume it's either making the playoffs or resigning with the Leafs next year.

Uh, well maybe it's not a big pickup Richardson was recently removed as captain of Columbus and now he makes his way back east to the team that drafted him in the first round of '87. He's 36 years old so that's a concern to me, he's big but at the same time he's never been a fast guy so you've got all those concerns I heard spouted about Hatcher and Rathje's acquisitions when we got them about not being able to keep up with the 'new NHL' blah blah blah, well at least he's not signed for five years like Rathje is anyway.

Ah the Ottawa, Philadelphia, Toronto triangle...yeah we suck against the Sens in the playoffs I don't think I'll ever forget the series we scored 1 goal against them in five games - Ruslan Fedotenko with our only goal thankfully it was a game winner so we didn't go out in four anyway. Of course Rusty came back to haunt the Flyers in the last playoffs with Tampa Bay.

Ville Nieminen traded from the Rangers to San Jose for a third round pick as well.

Oh, oh, oh as I was posting a decent trade happened.

Los Angeles Kings acquire forward Mark Parrish and defenceman Brent Sopel from the New York Islanders in exchange for defenceman Denis Grebeshkov and forward Jeff Tambellini.

Parrish is a good one, Sopel...ahem...isn't so much. Grebeshkov and Tambellini though, well Grebeshkov was highly touted and he's pretty young the Islanders were always going to let someone go I figured and there had been Parrish rumours about. I like the guy I think that trade's going to do good things for the Kings.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Sopel. He's great as a number 3 defenseman and can run a PP effectively. He didn't do well as the top guy (or number 2) at NYI. At Vancouver he ran their PP even with Ohlund and Jovo there. Great pick up for the Kings, they get some solid help that adds depth to their forward lines and defense corp for Grebshkov as I don't think Tambelini will be that big of a loss.

Another player I wouldn't be surprised to see moved would be Raycroft of Boston. I thing they're sticking with Toivenen and Thomas, so Raycroft is like Nuronen (BUF) on the outside looking in.

I can't believe we picked up Richardson. He's an older defenseman who's just as slow as Aki Berg, Khavanov and Klee. I don't see how picking him up for a 5th rounder is better than the guys we already have. He does add experience, a whole lot of it. But we (of all teams) don't need to get any older, nor will he be with us long enough to assert himself as a leader. This after FJF said he wouldn't sell our future... It is upsetting. That said, the only plus I see to this is he brings some toughness to our defense which hasn't had any since Dimitri Yushkevich was around.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I miss Yushkevich, I liked him when he played for us in one playoffs he was really good and seemed to care so much about how the team did despite only being a late acqusition. Think he's off playing in Russia right now.

You could be right about Boston, Raycroft's not lived up to last year and Thomas was doing well last I heard. Toivinen is very much the guy they expect to be the best of the three so it certainly wouldn't be him they would shift and Thomas is too young and inexperienced at this point to be traded as a deadline pickup to fill in as a playoff backup. If one goes it would likely be Raycroft.

He said he wouldn't sell your future and a fifth rounder, even with a possible fourth on top of that isn't a killer blow to your draft. I mean worst comes to worst and there's someone JFJ wants in the draft around that spot he just has to trade a couple of 6ths to get the guy he's after. At the same time I'm confused as to the point of Richardson in a way. He's decent but like you say a similar sort of player to what you have already, you at most can get 2 more years from the guy and then he's 38 and really pushing it so does thi indicate the Leafs are trying to make the playoffs this year? Richardson is hardly the guy you get and expect him to put you over the top in terms of making up that 6 point standing gap so what's the intention behind getting Richardson for Toronto right now? I'm honestly not too sure.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yushkevich was our stud on D, I miss him too.

Thinking a bit more on the Richardson pick up, I think it's a sign that someone wants Klee or Berg. There has been interest in Klee especially. He's had a poor year this season, but that may be why there's interest as teams may try to get him for cheaper. Another possibility is that due to our injury situation we have no depth at D. What we have right now dressed is all we have. Our young guys like Coliacovo (out for year) and Harrisson (wrist) are injured and Kronwall isn't NHL ready. It could just be depth.

Oh my goodness, did you see the habs trade!??!

Remind anyone of Patrick Roy?!?! Hahah, Abbey for Theodore. It won't end up as the Roy deal since Theodore is no where near as talented as Roy, but that was interesting. Theodore is injured I think...

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hadn't seen that, I've been listening into the Flyers game (losing to carolina 1-0 after the first, the Flyers have been bad lately - commentators are saying we're lucky to only be one down) on the radio and I stopped watching trade pages for a while.

Wow, Montreal had been going with Huet lately and he'd been playing well. Theodore was out of favour and has a large contract so this could be good for them, on the other hand Aebischer has been struggling this year too in Colorado maybe both goaltenders will be able to find their games after that good old change of scenery people talk about so often.

It does seem a little Roy like, of course I'm next to certain it won't end up quite the same but there are similarities heh.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh, TSN is showing the Caps/Pens game and they interrupted the game with the trade info. Huet has been doing amazing lately, so it's definitely a good trade. Also, Abbey has a 1.9 million contract which is significantly less than Theodore's. Habs have freed up some cap room to perhaps take on a larger contract for a push in the playoffs.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah right I think I get a delayed game on tv at 1:30 am (half hour from now), the channel doesn't say which game it is though just the 'game of the week'. I'm hoping for the Flyers but I have my doubts it will be them at this point.

The Habs will have a bit more cap room to maneuvere with, true, which is certainly useful considering they are currently sitting 8th in the east at this point in time.

Bah, I get the feeling the best news will break while I'm asleep tonight I mean it will still be there when I wake up but it's not quite the same.

Woo, Umberger scores on the PP and the Flyers are 1-1 with the 'Canes.

Edit: Reinprecht and Derek Morris re-signed with Phoenix for three years each. Reinprecht is getting $2m a year and Morris is getting about $3.9m-ish per year or $11.75 over 3 years.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

News will probably die down after the games tonight. Right now the GMs are watching their teams play and are probably working the phones trying to lay down some ground work for tomorrow. After the west coast games, I doubt anything will happen. Of course that doesn't do much good for you out in Europe/UK.

Just think, you'll have some news to read tomorrow morning :)

EDIT: The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded defenceman Ken Klee to the New Jersey Devils for winger Alexander Suglobov.

EDIT 2: Hah, I called that!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good call on Klee then, nice one I hadn't heard him mentioned at all personally (my knowledge of rumours is very philadelphia-centric heh). He'll probably be alright with New Jersey I reckon, I know you said he hasn't been great this year but NJ do seem to drag the best out of their players somehow. Suglobov is a reasonable return a young winger but I'm not sure if he'll amount to all that good of a player, he got 46 points in 72 AHL games last year (a better than usual AHL I'll say too) and he hasn't played for the devils themselves just the River Rats. Hopefully it will pan out for you anyway, was Klee an impending UFA? I'd imagine so but I'm uncertain.

Oh and he has 48 points in 51 games this year too so maybe it's not all bad in that case. I just wouldn't count on him ending up too much more than an alright 2nd/3rd liner.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't a bad move by any means, in fact, I like the pick up and the trading of Klee for youth. What this does is frees up a roster spot next year or two since we have a lot of young defensemen coming up through the minors. My moving Klee and getting a prospect, while taking on an older D-man that can be dropped easier it is a great thing. In two years, those two moves will benefit us.

2nd liner is just fine with me. He may have that top-line potential, and JFJ came from a scouting background.

Anyway, I live in the Center of The Hockey Universe so I hear a lot of rumours about the Leafs.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: