Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Persona 3 - game of the year! It's out!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

It would most likely based on the light version, which means you would need the original Persona 3 for it to work. Which would also explain the cheap price.

Everywhere I seen says that it includes everything from P3, which like I said is nice though kind of a slap in the face of those that paid $50+ for P3 just a few month ago.

Quote:

I think you're completely wrong. Persona 3 is new, fresh, and controversial and Suikoden I and II aren't. People who actually care about Suikoden I and II are probably more willing to buy the PS1 games than buy a PSP and Suikoden 1 & II, and probably already have.

I'm not saying I have the facts but just what some fans or critics think about a game doesn't change the demand much. What is true is that Atlus didn't release that many copies of P3 to begin with, it would be very unlikely that the Persona name is even as well known as Suikoden, plus the Suikoden games' been in demand for over 5 years across the world outside of japan.

Quote:

FES is not quick to arrive - we got the original game after FES was released in Japan. If you think a year's wait is "quick", I don't wanna know your definition of long...

P3 was released in north america late last August, this new release is dated for late April, that's far from a year. I'd say the wait between Suikoden II & III or the one we have now after V is long, unless someone did like P3 enough to play it many times already, everyone else would consider this new one a fast re-release, not to mention it makes a game they bought only a few month ago for $50 completely pointless.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You get the entire game plus extras for only nearly half of the original's price tag?

Sounds like fun.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While all the Americians are looking forward to FES, we here in PAL regions just got the original P3 two weeks ago. I'm only 10 hours in, but I've been having a great time with it. It's certainly one of the most unique RPGs Ive played; not surprising, since it's my first SMT game, and the first Persona to be released here... :(

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this before the end of the week, but for those that really knows everything about P3, can someone tell me why I would still need my copy of the first release for any reason?

Like I said before, great game or not I do feel pretty insulted if what I bought for $50 slightly over half a year ago just became so pointless that replying it will be a total waste of time, and that same company is now asking me for $30 more of my money... I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise but based on the reviews I seen, this version has way more new stuff that makes the game almost completely different and improving things in everyway, so what good will the old copy do?
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't opened my copy of FES yet....but from what I can tell you don't need the original.........although personally I liked the original case better and all....nothing against AIGIS xp

The original P3 I got the what's it called...bonus edition thingy that had the artbook and OST included with it...so I don't feel too bad had to buy P3 and then FES separately...
in my mind it's like.... 49.99 (P3), 29.99 (FES).....split it in half it's like 39.99 each....first has bonus stuff included....FES kinda feels like 2 games in it kinda....so eh....it's not bad if think about it...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess, but based on what I read FES's version of P3 is like the old game adding on an expansion pack with everything made better, and I just find it to be insulting as a consumer when I paid $50 for the first release of P3 much less than a year ago, and so soon there's a version that makes the old one totally outdated and pointless. Hell it takes a year of two for a normal popular game to get an expansion pack and when that happens, the old game can at least be used as a boot disc...

I admit I didn't like P3 as much as many other people but it's not my fault that I didn't have enough time to finish the game yet, and I'm now being punished by 1. having what I paid for basically turn into trash 2. start all over therefore wasting many hours within the last six month 3. having to pay again. Money is no big issue so they will get my $30 in the next few days, but I don't like to be screwed over for being loyal to a game/publisher and wasting lots of my time due to no fault of my own.

It’s awesome that this new version is being released as I think that’s a great thing, and I’m happy for those that really can’t get enough of P3 to be able to play this so soon, but lets face it, the awareness of SMT & Persona games is very low, rereleasing the best game of the series so soon after the first version came out is hardly a efficient way to promote the series.

Right now, majority of the people buying this new version will be the ones that loved P3 and finished it many times over, or those that were interested in the game but haven’t got a copy. From a marketing standpoint, they have already gained the attention of those 2 groups of people anyways, so the benefit of this rerelease is minimal, but since the next Persona game is well under development and it seems like a can’t miss title, it would be a much smarter move for the FES version to be released after the next Persona game gets the promotion/critic approval/attention of more people, that would be a way more effective method to promote the series to the masses than marketing a $20 discount right now to those that plans to buy the game already.

I’d totally understand if the FES version comes out a year from now for $50 rather than $30, if that’s the case I won’t be buying it right away but at least it shows me that Atlus believes they are selling a game worthy of the price they charged us for just a few month ago, and that they are looking to expand the Persona series here in north american, instead now this says to me: we can care less about what it is we are selling, or who is buying it, we just want to make more money as soon as possible.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, you do not need to start all over and are free to get straight to "Episode Aegis". Furthermore, your savefile from the original one can be carried over, so it is not like everything from your first playthrough is lost. What's more, if your sense of completionism would force you to start all over to get all the additional scenes, even just the original one would require you to play through it from the start twice to really complete it so it really makes no difference.

Personally, I could not comprehend the reasoning of complaining getting an original+expansion for a lower price, even if you had already procured the original beforehand. Even if it took shorter time than usual. Or would you like it better if FES had only "Episode Aegis" for $30 or would release it 6 months later, after you have truly completed the original game?

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not saying I would like the FES version better if it only had the new "episode" (though if that was the case right now I certainly would have less of a problem with them at this point) as I also want all the new stuff in P3 and I don't expect Atlus of america to chop up the japanese release of FES, but either show us the consumers some respect to not turn our old game into trash so soon or have a better motive for rereleasing the whole package based on the reasons I just mentioned.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They weren't planning on releasing FES originally...but due to P3 being such a hit and having such an outcry of dismay from fans that FES wasn't going to be localized changed their minds.

I guess the timing could've been better (though perhaps they started localizing FES a month or so after P3 was clearly a hit.....I dunno how long it takes to localize games...but they must've had some trouble getting together the voice actors again if it was a sudden decision -causing th time delay....)

Personally I think releasing FES before P4 is fine........I dunno if anyone else is like this and I don't have this habit anymore but I used to be in the mindset that you don't go backwards in a series...meaning......if 5 is out it's 1) playing the previous installments will make you lost and/or 2) it's impossible to find previous installments

but that aside(since I think I'm probably the only one who thought like that ^ xD;; )

....they don't know if P4 will be as big a hit as P3....they'd rather release FES beforehand where there is already alot of potential buyers whom are new to the series from hearing other fans going "P3 was so good! FES is P3 + bonus. Go try that then if you can't find P3 anymore!" Than risking having these same bunch new to the series thinking when P4 comes out: "oh....P4....must be a sequel to P3...P3 was good so P4 must be good" and it actually may turn out not as good for them....

So ok....then (the way I see it) they have it established that they want to release it before P4....and also I think they were going for ASAP because the longer you wait...more better games may come out and the new people will more likely forget about P3...but like I said earlier [in this post]....they weren't originally going to bring over FES...to suddenly decide they would they must've had to wait a bit to get all the voice actors, etc to have some free time again....

.....anyhow....I'm going to go and try playing a bit of FES now
:mrgreen: haha...totally forgot my Social Link strategy though but oh well...my old strategy might've gotten messed up by the new Social Link anyway... =p

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't buy the "we did it for the fans" bit especially when it comes to a company like Atlus, always being so conservative with the number of copies they release even when it's pretty much a guarantee that a title will be well received. I'm not going to say for sure that atlus have less resources to be able to release more of their games like other companies because I don't know that, but the release or re-release of a game is certainly not due to them respecting the wishes of those very few displeased fans who voiced their concern as of just late last year, out of what's likely only a small fan base of thousands here in north american.

It's just a lame business decision and insulting to their customers when a company put out products simply aimed to make quick money like this. At the same time, as much as I'm not thrilled to see SMT: Nocturne & DDS vol. 1 reprinted just now, I can understand why doing that while the SMT name is hot would be a good decision to promote the series and attract more fans, so I don't really have a problem with that.
Arjuna

15746 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jesus christ Himuro you are everywhere. GTFO! :*laugh*:

The reason Atlus didn't release FES was because it was simply too late and they didn't even know about it. They had already started working on Persona 3. If you stop by the Atlus forums you could see the huge demand for FES in the past, it was ridiculous. Swarms of newbies to the MegaTen series would just come and flood the place, even one saying he'd pay over $100 for FES.

Why wouldn't you be thrilled for SMT Nocturne and DDS being reprinted? It will shed some light on these fans who practically worship Persona 3 when in fact it is such an inferior game compared to SMT III.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arjuna wrote:

Why wouldn't you be thrilled for SMT Nocturne and DDS being reprinted? It will shed some light on these fans who practically worship Persona 3 when in fact it is such an inferior game compared to SMT III.

Actually, i don't care for a reprint of DDS. I tried it out, not as much fun as i thought it would be.

As for FES, i just got it, but it was at the time when i didn't finish the original Persona 3 game >< But i don't mind starting over again. I didn't mind too much the price. It's tiresome, going through the same stuff, even though there's some extra scenes not in the original, i'm waiting for the other features to pop up. But then again i'm only a couple of hours in to the game right now.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arjuna

15746 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought FES but to be honest I cannot see myself replaying this game any time soon. Episode Aigis (The Answer) was damn good though, it is automatically locked on Hard Mode so I actually look forward to playing the game again whenever I do. (The Journey)

Especially for this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: