Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

World Map presented in History of Suikoden dvd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
I like how there are no rivers or sources of fresh water on the Western Continent. Maybe it's like a Final Fantasy continent that is completely and entirely desert and you can't land your black chocobo on it because of that.

Stupid desert continents.

Well it's not like that area's been been explored, so we don't know.

Alkazar wrote:
The western continent is referenced in Albert's ending, yes. If someone didn't catch that, it's their own fault.

It's also nice to know that, indeed, the world of Suikoden has plate tectonics. Re-examining the map after hours of staring at Photoshop, I find the continents match up nicely just like our own. Perhaps the Cyndar never had to travel by boat... The world of Suikoden would have, at one time, been a super continent. Yes, a total random and possibly useless fact brought to you by the student of geography.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have we all forgotten that such things as continental drift takes hundreds of millions of years and that the only source of the age of the Suikoden world is that of Luc who states it as a mere one thousand years?

Of course, if some sort of magic is being implied then may I introduce a theory of similar worth in terms of evidence?

I call it the 'A GIANT BLOCK OF CHEESE BURPED OUT THE SUIKODEN WORLD ONTO A PLATE OF GRISTLE' theory.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alkazar, isn't it possible that these islands aren't even connected to the tectonic plates (or atleast some of them), but that they are fragments of land masses broken off, which merely float on the water. This would allow them to drift faster than land masses connected to the tectonic plates because they wouldn't have an anchor to keep them in place, thus a natural disaster, a la earthquake or volcano, could significantly (relatively speaking) shift the location of the island in comparison with other land masses. I've never been good with geography, but htis seems to make sense to me.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
Alkazar, isn't it possible that these islands aren't even connected to the tectonic plates (or atleast some of them), but that they are fragments of land masses broken off, which merely float on the water. This would allow them to drift faster than land masses connected to the tectonic plates because they wouldn't have an anchor to keep them in place, thus a natural disaster, a la earthquake or volcano, could significantly (relatively speaking) shift the location of the island in comparison with other land masses. I've never been good with geography, but htis seems to make sense to me.

The islands wouldn't float then, they'd simply sink.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not necessarily, only dense objects sink, and though it would seem an island would automatically be dense, the presense of caves, natural or manmade, and of manmade structures would add to the size more than they would they the weight, thus less mass. Plus we don't know what the soil's composition i, so can't decide on density really, but say the islands are to heavy to float, they could be leaning on the plate itself (or atleast the ocean bottom), heavy enough to stay in place under normal circumstances, but such a natural disaster could still push them out of "place".

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any such island would have to suffer from such a lack of density that any human habitation would be practically impossible or at the very least unsustainable past a certain architectural level.

However, if the islands were indeed too heavy and were merely leaning on the plate, then they didn't drift anywhere anyway so the point is moot.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went into more detail in the other half of this split topic, and don't feel like reiterating right now, but an object sitting on another object can shift in comparison to the other object if the other object were to move (expecially if violently), which tectonic plates, by their very nature, move constantly, and since said islands may not have anchors, but just be sufficiently heavy to sit in place and sufficiently large for part of the island to sit above water, it would seem very possible that such an island could exist, though such a phenomenon would be rare (such as existing in only one part of the world). I'm not saying that konami actually thought this through and switched the locations, but it would be a plausible way to explain such a mistake and could end up being so in future (post-III hopefully) Suikodens to fix such a botch.

ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow a world map! What is this dvd you all speak of? Probably only in japan right? I was wondering if it's not too much to ask someone could get that map translated possibly? If I knew japanese I'd do it.. but sadly :P
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shu, you are so behind the times. :P

http://www.theirstar.com/?pp=atlas_map.html
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am.. my apologies. Getting back into the groove takes time you know!
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, welcome back ShuTheLord! I'm sure Highland's mighty happy to have ye back.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, he's just cluttering up the place making it look untidy :P
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the welcome SARS! Eh I dunno how happy they are... they havent made it worth my while yet *cough name a rank after me cough*
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Albert Silverberg didn't go to Harmonia after Suikoden 3. Considering how he betrayed Sasarai, he'd have massive difficulty finding a job back in Crystal Valley--and that is if he isn't killed.

On the other hand, he DID double-cross Luc, and it's because of his actions that there even IS a Grasslands. Is it a canon fact he left for the Western Continent? I'm aware of his ending blurb, but that was a vague "rumors of..." ending, giving Konami some wiggle-room if they decide Albert needs to reappear in Harmonia as a new plot lever.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't remember his lines, but i think he said that there is a continent in the west and that it may be even more interesting to get a job there..

It has to be the western continent..

hmm Zelant Kingdom is beyond the Gaien Dukedom? That would mean that it is the nearest country to the western continent..hmm..and i thought zelant would be on falena..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: