Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do True Runes Grant Immortality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is confirmed officially by Konami that the bearers of a True Rune who recieve their rune at a young age will continue to age until "maturity". However, in the case of Ted, I heard he aged due to loosing his True Rune for some point (pre-Suikoden IV this was) so it's likely that he aged as well simply due to handing the Soul Eater over to the Fogship Captain. Whereas if he kept the rune, he still would've aged anyway.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
the eight devil rune is a totally different rune from his eightfold rune, it is not a true rune. but where does a true rune go when the owner gets killed, it can either try to find a new host or like in rakagi's father case it stayed in his dead arm from what 4 said until it was released by the queen of obel. only reason why brandeau died was due from using a great ammount of power from the rune so it drained his life to where there was almost nothing. after lazlo beat him he had nothing left in his body and thus the rune passed on.
Rakgi's father got the Rune after the queen.
Dr. Chaos wrote:
Quote:
- A young True Rune bearer will grow to physical maturity. This is what happened with Ted. He grew to the point of a young adult then ceased aging from there.

So, you don't believe Ted's aging was due to the time He spent on that ungodly ship without the Soul Eater?

Buff wrote:
i don't think it was said how long ted spent on the ghost ship. that could be the case or he could of age to where he looked like in 4 and then found the ghost ship.

Axiose wrote:
It is confirmed officially by Konami that the bearers of a True Rune who recieve their rune at a young age will continue to age until "maturity". However, in the case of Ted, I heard he aged due to loosing his True Rune for some point (pre-Suikoden IV this was) so it's likely that he aged as well simply due to handing the Soul Eater over to the Fogship Captain. Whereas if he kept the rune, he still would've aged anyway.
Time does not flow in the Fog Ship, so he aged naturally but it stopped due to the Rune and the aging didn't continue in the Fog Ship. Unless Ted jumped into the ship right when he got the Rune, then I don't know a thing.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...the sad thing is that in the end, this is all just speculation becuase I'm sure alot of these seeming incongruitites are just holes in the story. :mrgreen: I mean, how many of use have every little detail worked out when we come up with a story? It flows and changes as we go, and then we're stuck with trying to find ways to fill in the gaps...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!

Last edited by HarmonianHiccup on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's tough to pin it all down. About two hundred years passed between the ravaging of Ted's village and his inheritance of the Soul Eater Rune and his appearance in Suikoden IV. I got a sense that he was there for a good long while, though, not just the few years it would take for him to reach his apparant age from Suikoden IV. I could be wrong of course, because as Buff said, I don't know that it was ever explicitly stated.

Once he had the Soul Eater on, he would gradually reach a state of young adulthood, and then cease to age, just like all the others. You can see it most profoundly in Luc, who is remarkably youthful despite having been alive through Suikoden I, II, and then appearing again even in III looking essentially the same. It really does seem like you don't age much past the very beginnings of adulthood when bearing a True Rune. That is unless, of course, you acquire the Rune later...Barbarossa and the like.

But each of the True Runes has a curse, it would seem, that it places on its bearer. Some of them are much more dramatic, like the Rune of Punishment which slays its bearer, or the Soul Eater, which brings about the destruction of people close to the Rune's bearer. Yet it would seem that the True Wind Rune had its role in driving Luc crazy, and Geddoe and the Flame Champion both seemed to take issue with their True Elemental Runes, Fire and Lightning. I would say that immortality definitely comes with a price, its own set of drawbacks.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's an interesting thing I thought of at work yesterday—
In the manga, when Luc takes the True Earth Rune from Sasarai he says that Sasarai only has about a month to live without the Rune. According to my calculations Sasarai isn't so old that he'd die simply because he'd lived too long and the Rune was the only thing supporting him. I'm starting to wonder if that's the nature of all True Rune bearers?
We haven't had much of a chance to observe people who who have given up/given away their Runes for a long period of time, because most of them meet a violent death soon after reliquishing their Runes. The only exception I can think of is Ted on the Fog Ship, and we seem to be in agreement that things don't behave normally there.

I'm waiting until I can get my hands on book #10 and #11 to figure out what everyone has to say about Geddoe and Hugo losing their Runes. Maybe it's just Sasarai (and Luc, for that matter) They've had their Runes for pretty much their entire lives, so perhaps their two natures have become so entwined that separating the two can effectively kill the mortal half of a Rune-being.

I dunno. Rambling speculation.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sasarai and Luc's souls are inter-twined with their True Runes. Their attachment to their runes is not of the normal type we expect from most rune bearers. This is due, in part, to the fact that they're clones.

This is mostly likely the explanation for Sasarai's shortened life span.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc's True Rune is intertwinced with his soul, thus he can not have the True Wind Rune removed from his body.

In the case of Sasarai, the True Earth Rune is not intertwined with his soul, which makes it possible for the rune to be removed from his body. Konami has not explained why Sasarai ends up dying in this case-- it can be the case that true rune bearers die regardless of age if they lose their true rune, or it may also be because Sasarai is an artificial life-form which possibly can only be sustained with the continuous power-feed from the True Earth Rune. Either that, or Aki Shimizu and Konami had communication problems.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
According to my calculations Sasarai isn't so old that he'd die simply because he'd lived too long and the Rune was the only thing supporting him. I'm starting to wonder if that's the nature of all True Rune bearers?

We haven't had much of a chance to observe people who who have given up/given away their Runes for a long period of time, because most of them meet a violent death soon after reliquishing their Runes.

sasarai is i believe 30 since him and luc are clones of hikusak and i believe were cloned the same time and since luc says he had his rune for 30 years so that means sasarai had his rune for 30 years. luc did mention after he took geddoe's rune saying that he will survive for now but will die eventually. don't know how long he ment by eventually.

there is one person who gave up his rune and that is wyatt aka jimba. don't know how long he gave it up but he did and looks like he survived for quite some time until he tried to stop luc from getting the rune.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wyatt didn't give up his True Water Rune. He merely sealed away half of it, while retaining the other half so that he wouldn't have to die, and also to make it impossible for the HVG to find him.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

didn't think that was actually possible. so since he did that does that mean he kept his aglessness or did he not age as fast.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it would be interesting to see the rune of change in action pretty soon.

Evidently the rune made the ancient peoples wander around forever, and eventually disappear. No clue on any magic or whatever, but it would be pretty fun to play around with a rune outside of battle that could change things in your surroundings, a la Golden Sun. Maybe if the rune of change was equipped on a character, they would take the other 107 stars, as interesting as they might be, on some messed up journey across the world and build all the ruins and then disappear forever.

-989187 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

true runes grant immortality or "long life"
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Flame champion (Fire Hero for you damn purists) gave up his rune Buff. I'm not sure how long it took him to die after he gave it up, but judging by my very fuzzy memory of the scene involving Sana, it was very quickly. This may have been from other circumstances such as disease, accident, or his body being damaged during the war. I've always been under the assumption that a host which has lost its rune would live its life out normally, but recalling the scene with Sana and given the questionable mention of Sasarai dying shortly after the rune was removed, I am forced to rethink my position on the issue. It seems that the rune provides the body with some sort of sustanence that makes it hard to live after it's been removed.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet assassin wrote:
The Flame champion (Fire Hero for you damn purists) gave up his rune Buff. I'm not sure how long it took him to die after he gave it up, but judging by my very fuzzy memory of the scene involving Sana, it was very quickly. This may have been from other circumstances such as disease, accident, or his body being damaged during the war. I've always been under the assumption that a host which has lost its rune would live its life out normally, but recalling the scene with Sana and given the questionable mention of Sasarai dying shortly after the rune was removed, I am forced to rethink my position on the issue. It seems that the rune provides the body with some sort of sustanence that makes it hard to live after it's been removed.

He lives to a fairly old age with Sana, and dies of natural causes. It seems that how long the person lives after depends on how they remove the True Rune. The Flame Champion removed it with a Sindar secret and was not very old at the time either, so he was able to live a relatively full life I think. Geddoe was over 100 years old and had his True Rune forcibly removed by Luc so he was left without much time to live afterwards either way.

Sasarai was presumably cloned from Hikusaak under different circumstances to Luc, considering they're not the same age, as Sasarai is older (Luc refers to him as an "older brother" in the temple), Sasarai may have been born without the rune at first, who knows? All the bearers are left weakened and with not much time left in them when the rune is removed from their body, apart from Ted's Granpa, who willingly gives the rune to Ted and then has enough energy to run off into a forest and distract Yuber, now thats old man strength.

icekiller22 wrote:
true runes grant immortality or "long life"

However, we know this isn't always the case, The Rune of Beginning in it's two halves doesn't grant immortality (they're not technically True Runes in this state though), but the Gate Rune in this situation does. The Rune of Punishment unless in it's "Attonement" phase kills it's bearer usually after it's used once or twice.
Mullenger

8949 Potch
19 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True runes DO NOT grant immortality

However they dont let the bearer age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: