Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do True Runes Grant Immortality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mullenger wrote:
True runes DO NOT grant immortality

However they dont let the bearer age.

What do you mean? They do not grant invulnerability if thats what you mean, immortality and invulnerability are two very different things.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True runes do not grant immortality, the bearer is still mortal and can be killed, they are just protected from dying of natural causes, if they get hit by a stamped of Kangacorns for example they will probably die from it.

Now true rune bearers don't age, true runes grant agelessness not immortality though in some circles it is thought that bearers do actually age but at a very slow rate.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes thats what I'm saying, the bearer is immortal, but not invulnerable, they can still be killed. True Runes if attached to a young bearer allow the bearer to grow for a few years.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just want to add in the definition of immortal so as to clear up confusion

immortal-n- exemption from death. In short, you can't die at all. No true rune grants this

One could say that true runes grants longevity which means long duration of life, however agelessness is the better word for what true runes grant.

However, two trues comes real close to making its bearer close to invincible. The Blue Moon Rune apparently, makes its bearer immune to all regular physical and magical attacks. That is what Viktor says in the game. The Night Rune seemingly is the only way to kill the bearers of the Blue Moon Rune. The Blue Moon Rune comes with a price though. It turns its bearer it a savage killing machine until that bearer brings out the compassionate side of the rune.

The other is the Sovereign Rune, which makes its bearer immune to all runes including true runes. It can also cancel out other runes and true runes. This is seen in Suikoden 1 when Barbarossa seals Windy's Gate Rune. All players of Suikoden I knows that the Sovereign Rune can turn its bearer into dragon. If you could freely transform into the dragon and back into a human or whatever, then there is virtually no drawbacks to this rune. Even though you would have more immunities with the Blue Moon Rune, I still favor Sovereign Rune over it because you are still in control over yourself.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also must say that the true runes do not grant immortality. They only grant agelessness, which is very different from immortality. As Rune of Corruption mentioned, immortality means exemption from death. So, if true runes would indeed grant immortality, then you could just lop off the true rune bearer's head, and he'd still live because of his state of immortality. IMO, agelessness is the best word to use when dealing with true runes, not immortality as the two words get easily confused upon.
Mullenger

8949 Potch
19 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So was i right in saying:
Quote:

True runes DO NOT grant immortality

However they dont let the bearer age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes you were right.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say that true rune bearers would be granted with immortality, but they can never age (like Ted's soul eater and others) and i would think that they can still die through murder or from another true rune.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe it is Immortality in the sense that they cannot age,I mean they can still die combat...Although I doubt most of them would die as they have extremely powerful magic at their disposal...
Of course they can die just by natural means of aging...
I also believe they are immune to sickness as well. (Really just my opinion though...)
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True Rune Bearers are still mortal, they are just ageless, meaning that their physiological or biological time clock has basically stopped. This is the reason why many long-terms bearers of True Runes die immediately after a True Rune has been removed from them because it has altered their normal physiology.

But, True Rune bearers can get sick, they can be murdered, have strokes or whatever mortal illnesses I would imagine.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why is this topic even still open? Hasn't this been officially confirmed by Konami?

True Runes grant Agelessness, but allows the body to fully mature, until it reaches it's prime. Luc, Ted and Sasari are examples of this. They also grant immunity to sickness and disease. That means they don't catch colds, or the plague. Don't ask about cancer and stuff like that, because... Magical world?

However if you stab a True Rune bearer they bleed. If you stab them enough, they die. It's that simple. Shouldn't this topic be closed?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Why is this topic even still open? Hasn't this been officially confirmed by Konami?

True Runes grant Agelessness...

Thank you. I sat here, reading the title and such, and wondered why people never use the term. Agelessness is so much..nicer sounding anyway. :P

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Lyon Falenas

12135 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
it has to be. if you look at luc and ted who got their runes at such a young age and notice them now they don't look that old. but sasari said to hugo who was pretending to be the flame champ at the time saying "your just a kid, at least i look to be over 30."

That's the classic Suikoden bad translation factor. Sasarai looks like a 14-17 year old. It makes sense considering considering Luc has not aged since the series began (just the artists have changed minor details such as hair and outfit).

However in the game's defense, when you have 108 characters and some have some intersting ways of speaking, and well, some just suck trying to make some sense. The Gaidens are a pain and have a lot fewer characters. But that line sounds almost like they botched something from an almost too direct translation. Considering that Sasarai in the third game has a few lines that seem awkward I am going to take the bet that he is one of the characters who speaks in a way that does not translate well.

Back on topic of the runes, it is stated that there is immortality with some conditions. Even things like vampires have conditions under which they can be killed despite for all purposes being immortal. Legend goes stab them in the heart or behead them as the common means of killing them.

But otherwise, if the immortality factor was false there would be no reason for why Ted and Leknaat have lived for 300+ years and look quite young to boot. The twin mages would be middle aged men by the third game and Sierra would have been dust before Riou or Nash ever came along.

The game seems to go a bit into the runes having their own agendas and wills and thus explaining why it allows the bearers to mature to mid-late adolescence as to have a body in its prime (Ted, Luc and Sasarai) which is better than a 7-8 year old or newborns for its will to be carried out.
Dilber Novum

8481 Potch
156 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm yes, the true runes do not make you invulnerable, but still.. they don't let you age and die in a normal way... so.. can I have a true rune as well? I wanna stay forever young ... and being successful with the ladies :)
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That would be Jeane's rune, which is no True Rune... Sorry, but you have to choose between an almost eternal life and success in things involving women ;)

The Fool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: