Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Kangacorns/Gul-Horses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Kangacorns/Gul-Horses Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're both reptilian mounts used by officers in the same general region, they're clad in armour in similar ways, their function is generally the same and as far as I can tell, there's no real difference between the two.

So, is a Kangacorn a Gul-Horse under a different name? Perhaps as a lack of research or simply because they liked 'Kangacorn' better? Or is this the most pointless introduction of a new creature ever seeing as they made the exact same mount in 1995 for Suikoden I?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there was a discussion on suikosource. here's some of the stuff that was said.

Quote:
Gul-Horses and Kangacorns aren't the same. Gul-Horses are reptiles and are native to Toran. Kangacorns are mammals and are native to Kooluk.

but notice how a kangacorn has a unicorn like horn where the gul-horse does not. they just have a pointed tip nose due to the armor they were on their head, where the horn on a kangacorn is on it's forehead. don't have a pic of a kangacorn but i found this pic off a gul-horse topic in suikosource.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2116/gulhorse6bp.jpg

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
but notice how a kangacorn has a unicorn like horn where the gul-horse does not. they just have a pointed tip nose due to the armor they were on their head, where the horn on a kangacorn is on it's forehead.

Kangaroo + Unicorn = Kangacorn

It looks like kangacorns are Gul-horses or at least a re-hashed version of them and that lame explanation was given as to why they don't have the same name.

I mean why the heck would they make two riding creatures that look so identical when they could have made a new creature that looked much different.

Gul-horses sure don't look very reptilian to me with those ears. What reptile has ears like that?

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they are prolly a re hased version of a gul-horse but they are easily not the same creature. unfortunetly they do look the same but there is a few qualities that are. like the horn i mentioned and gul-horses run, while a kanagacorn hops.

sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

probably, but the way they move is different; the kangacorn moves more like a dog would on two legs, where a gul-horse moves more like a velociraptor (think jurassic park).

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
there was a discussion on suikosource. here's some of the stuff that was said.

Quote:
Gul-Horses and Kangacorns aren't the same. Gul-Horses are reptiles and are native to Toran. Kangacorns are mammals and are native to Kooluk.

but notice how a kangacorn has a unicorn like horn where the gul-horse does not. they just have a pointed tip nose due to the armor they were on their head, where the horn on a kangacorn is on it's forehead. don't have a pic of a kangacorn but i found this pic off a gul-horse topic in suikosource.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2116/gulhorse6bp.jpg

Yepp, they're not the same.
Konami propably had the idea of bringing back similar creatures back into rhapdodia/suikoden tactics but they wanted something new..so they replaced the gul-horses with kangacorns.. I can also remember something like a gul-horse in Suikoden 3..Hugo's karaya-horse

And @Buff hehe, i remember the topic on suikosource, the posted image was a screenshot done by me to show what a gul-horse are..hehe
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could be argued they are various types of the same kind of animal. Like the various cats, dogs (both wild and domestic). Both from the same family of animals, but with enough of a variation for a new name. We can see examples like this all over the world from bears to fish to the various wild cats ranging from lions to cheetahs.

Whether they should have done that is another story. But it isn't unlike our own world in that respect.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only thing that really gets me about the Kangacorn is the close proximity of the Scarlet Moon Empire and the Kooluk Empire. Hugo's Karayan horse on the other hand, didn't nag at me quite so much as these Kangacorns. It's fine that they're different creatures, I didn't remember the Gul-Horses all that well, and so I initially assumed that they were just essentially the same thing under a different name...but whatever.

Quote:
It could be argued they are various types of the same kind of animal.

But not if the Kangacorn is supposed to be a mammal and the Gul-Horse a reptile. In that case, it just seems like yet another slightly irritating blunder by Konami. No reason to get too worked up about it, I suppose. I would definitely have preferred a brand-new and different appearing creature though.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
I didn't remember the Gul-Horses all that well, and so I initially assumed that they were just essentially the same thing under a different name...but whatever.

i thought the same when i first played tactics. when i saw the topic on suikosource it cleared a lot from me on the difference.

Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah..the gul-horses only appeared in suikoden 1 in the battles against theo and at the beginning of the game when you fly to leknaat's island
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leon Silverberg wrote:
yeah..the gul-horses only appeared in suikoden 1 in the battles against theo and at the beginning of the game when you fly to leknaat's island

that's teo ;)

i don't think those were gul-horses when you meet futh on the east side of the castle. those looked more like regular horses.

Leon Alucard

Childs of Elminister

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a bizarre thing, you have regular horses (zexen knights), kangacorns, Gul-horses and Karayan horses.

Why didn't Konami decide to have only one kind of horses?
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can't forget the Gryphons,((an eagle and horse i think)) as well Wolves, and Mantors i think they all were able to be ridden on
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

gryphons are a lion and an eagle; you're thinking of a hippogriff.

i suppose they wanted some variety per region in their beasts of war or something of that nature.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
Leon Silverberg wrote:

that's teo ;)

i don't think those were gul-horses when you meet futh on the east side of the castle. those looked more like regular horses.

that's futch ;)

Hehehe...sorry i'm kinda used to write down the german version of teo..that would be theo.. to me the creatures at the beginning of the game looked like pigs..than they looked like gul-horses after i've seen them the first time..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: