Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Create-a-character!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No wonder my head was exploding!><"Thanks for telling me,I need to fix my other character
Finfreeze

177377 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stats are given as numbers in game, increase by level or with stat-raising stones, and determine your characters' basic aptitudes; Skills are ranked by letter, increase permanently with skill points or temporarily with special equipment (never with EXP), generally grant passive abilities, and sometimes come with really funky names.

Stats: Strength, HP, Luck, Evade, Magic Defense, etc.
Skills: Holy Dash, Shield Protect, Battle Lust, Chain Magic, Magic Rationing, First Aid, Adrenaline Power, Tutor, Cook, Royal Paradise, Sword of Magic, Chanting Volume, Escape Route, etc.

Among other things, the template used here is a bit...weird, which may or may not have helped create confusion (I dunno how). The letters don't necessarily line up with in-game growths, hit points are curiously listed as a number with no clue given of the average value, and the stats/affinities listed are a weird mix of II (natural defense for humanoids, rune abilities are innate as opposed to based on skills) and III (separate evade stat, the name "Repel", movement being given separately). Not to mention that the Strategy battle quotes are in the style of Suikoden I, and the detective profiles are Richmond-style. Not that it really matters if you're not trying for that 100% authentic Suikoden experience.

As for balance, available rune slots and swings are usually the strongest determinants of a character's power, not stats. It's all about stacking as many multipliers as possible to the point where your overwhelming (physical) offense becomes your defense. In a hypothetical Suikoden game consisting of only characters from this thread, Buff and his three rune slots from the first page would be far stronger than the "overpowered" Auron despite the fact that Auron has two S (presumably 8 growth) stats.
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get it now,I think.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The investigation/quotes thing doesn't really bother me that much, I'm more anal-retentive about the battle-related aspects. I was actually hoping to use Suikosource's stat growth chart to customize my character, because it provided a pretty good picture of how a character's stat numbers would reflect in-game. I also think Suikoden III's skill system allows for good character customization.

I'll repost my character from page 3 with stats/skills modified to follow the above system.

Justice Johnny wrote:
Name: Chris Stormwind
Star: Tensyo Star
Race: Human
Origin: Unknown

Weapon: Ninja Sword
Weapon Weight: 01

Weapon Name 1 (Levels 1-6): Light Sword
Weapon Name 2 (Levels 7-12): Light Wind Sword
Weapon Name 3 (Levels 13-16): Holy Wind Sword

Runes:
H - none (opens at Level 40)
Rh- Thunder Rune
Lh- Haziness Rune (permanent)

Physical description: Orange hair, ninja suit, sneakers. About 6'3". Bah! Whatever. Just click on this link to have an idea of what he looks like: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/highwind44029/albert.jpg

And shut up! I did that in Paint, so there!!!

How to obtain:

1. He can be seen at the Mountain Pass (all Suikoden games have at least one, right? lol). Accompany him and fight a mini-boss. He will say that he has not found what he's looking for, and leaves.

2. He will be in a cave (all Suikoden games have at least one, right?) lol). Accompany him again and fight a mini-boss. He still has not found it, and leaves.

3. He's back at the Mountain Pass. The hero must have 150 SPD for him to join (speed-modifying equipment may be equipped). If not, he will challenge you in a one-on-one duel. If you defeat him, he will join. (Note: The duel will be hard because he has mad evasion.)

Stats:
PWR - 04
SKL - 06
MAG - 04
REP - 08
PDF - 03
MDF - 02
SPD - 10
LUK - 02
HP - 04

Default Skills:
[Parry - D] - fixed, opens at Level 20
[Counter-attack - E] - fixed, opens at Level 25
[Continual Attack - E] - fixed, opens at Level 40
[Swing - C] - fixed
[Repel - B+] - fixed
[Lightning Magic - C]
[free skill slot]
[free skill slot]

Max skills:
Swing - A
Accuracy - B
Damage - B+
Repel - A
Armor Protect - B
Holy Dash - B+
Parry - B+
Continual Attack - B+
Counter-attack - B
Fire Magic - C
Water Magic - B
Wind Magic - B+
Earth Magic - C
Lightning Magic - A
Magic Resistance - B
Sword of Magic - B

Maximum number of swings: 6

Castle quotes:
At the garden: "..........Oh, hey. I didn't see you there. Sorry. I'm just enjoying the fresh air."
At the graveyard: "................................."
At the dojo: "It's interesting to see everyone's different styles of fighting. It makes me want to train more."

Final battle: "I'm ready when you are."

Party quotes:

In - "Sure. Why not?"
Out - "I'll be right here when you need me."

War quotes:

Charge - "This is where it gets ugly."
Evade - "Everyone, take a deep breath..."
Wounded - "Hmph..."
Death - n/a (I CAN'T DIE!!! :P )

Comment box:
1. "Nice place, but it's a little noisy. I wish there was somewhere quiet that I could hang out in..."
2. "I found my quiet spot... in the graveyard."
3. "Somebody recommended the library and hey, it's not so bad. It's quiet, and there are lots of interesting books I could read."
4. "The dojo's pretty neat. You can see how diverse the people are by their fighting styles. I'm interested in melding their styles with my own."

Detective inquiries:

Army Position: Special Forces

Inquiry 1
- You know... I don't like investigating ninjas. I could seriously get killed.

Inquiry 2
- Man, that guy has some great ESP. Just when I was to turn the corner to follow him, I met a bunch of shurikens about to come my way. I barely dodged them!!!

Inquiry 3
- I thought I would use a different tactic. I tried the frontal approach, and he's not so bad after all. He said he joined you because he knew he would meet different kinds of people in your army.

Inquiry 4
- He said his village was massacred about five years ago. It was a sad story, but he's glad he survived. He plans on taking revenge someday, but he's not sure where to start. It's really depressing. I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore.

Last edited by Justice Johnny on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Sierra's sister

Night Wanderer

202901 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Justice Johnny wrote:
The investigation/quotes thing doesn't really bother me that much, I'm more anal-retentive about the battle-related aspects. I was actually hoping to use Suikosource's stat growth chart to customize my character, because it provided a pretty good picture of how a character's stat numbers would reflect in-game. I also think Suikoden III's skill system allows for good character customization.

I can't seem to understand that stat growth...sorry. I'll stay with my SV stats.

"H-huh? What? I got too many karma???"
-Sierra's sister usual idle banter
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havent played any suikoden game for a very long time, does the stat thing differ in suikoden 5 compared to suikode 2?
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I'll make S my best stat(as in highest in the end) and F my worst stat(pitifully low at the end)
mega0soft

Fight For Love

38146 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This format is based on Suikoden 2!Hehehe, I made him a pic.. lol thats

Crissaegrim ^^... hee-hee, isnt he cute? lol

Quote:

Name: Crissaegrim
Star: Teni Star
Race: Half Human/Sindarian =p
Origin: Unknown

How to obtain:

1. Recruit him with 100+ SoD's
2. He's deep inside the forest... I dunno which forest.
3. Optional:There are two options here.If you choose the first option you will able to get power gloves at his other slots,however if you choose the second option, you wont able to get his power gloves.
a) Beat him on 1 on 1 battle.
b) Beat him with the whole party.

Stats:
Level 60 After You recruit him.
Str: 200
Tech: 180
Magic: 151
Speed: 190
Prot: 140
M Def: 135
Luck: 168

Runes:
H - ????????
Rh- Double-Beat
Lh- Double Strike

Weapon: Crissaegrim

Weapon Name 1 (Levels 1-6): Crissaegrim
Weapon Name 2 (Levels 7-12): Crissaegrim
Weapon Name 3 (Levels 13-16): Crissaegrim

Castle quotes:
At the garden: "...This place, this reminds me alot of things in past...."
At the graveyard: "................................."
At the dojo: "Excuse me, Im meditating."

Party quotes:

In - "At your will...."
Out - "Let's do it again!"

War quotes:

Charge - "For my descendants!"
Critical - "Feel the sharp of Crissaegrim!"
Wounded - "I gotta be careful."
Death - "I guess I have to use this, Rune of Cha..n....." o.o

Comment box:
1. ".................."
2. "I like here because it is very quiet."
3. "This library is full of ancient script of my ancestors." xD

Detective inquiries:

Position: Warrior-Ninja

Inquiry 1
- That guy is insane, he almost killed me when I was talking to him.

Inquiry 2
- I wonder why his weapon was named after his name?

Inquiry 3
- Yesterday I found an old man at library with the same costume as Criss does. I smell something fishy around this guy.

Last edited by mega0soft on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Umm,I find it weird that a Warrior-Ninja can umm...have 3 rune slots :?
mega0soft

Fight For Love

38146 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SoulEaterRune_Tir wrote:

he's sindarian .i think sindarians can have 3 rune slots lol?
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but imagine,he can equip 3 battle runes(Fury,Double-Strike,Double-Beat).That will make him cheaper than any other character in the game,heck probably stronger than Luca if you compare him at the time where your level 50.I'm guessing he has Rune of Change?That gives another reason why one of the slots should be closed for the Rune of Change.I'm usually not this fussy but I just got something wrong today.
mega0soft

Fight For Love

38146 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there.. i edit it... satisfied now? hehe :)
Finfreeze

177377 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Justice Johnny wrote:
The investigation/quotes thing doesn't really bother me that much, I'm more anal-retentive about the battle-related aspects.

Yeah. I actually like Richmond's reporting style more than Kidd's mastery of the obvious and Oboro's "everything but the stat sheet". Although I wish you didn't have to research each stat sheet individually...

Sierra's sister wrote:
I can't seem to understand that stat growth...sorry. I'll stay with my SV stats.

Well, typically it runs from 00-08; higher numbers are better. But there are also a few special growths:

09/10: Extremely high bonuses early on, but at mid-level they stagnate. Viktor, Cecile, and a ton of characters in IV have these kinds of growths.
11/12: Mediocre but steady growth throughout all 99 levels. Snowe is the most noticeable case. Seems to be IV exclusive.
Gremio's STR: Good early, horrible in mid-levels, and at 60-99 it soars.

I can't say for sure about V since I haven't seen the growths for that game released, but I know that I and II follow similar growth systems to III and IV. For reference, Freed's non-luck stats are clearly 04s, while Zamza's Strength, Protection, Magic, and Magic Defense definitely fit the pattern of 05. This is why Zamza will average much higher than Freed in those areas despite having roughly the same potential stats. Pre-stones, of course.

shikator wrote:
I havent played any suikoden game for a very long time, does the stat thing differ in suikoden 5 compared to suikode 2?

Off the top of my head:

1. V has a separate evade stat.
2. For non-monsters, natural physical defense growth is heavily stunted. Gear provides the vast majority of physical protection.
3. In general, even before skills, stats are higher in V than in II.
4. On the other hand, hit points have taken a slide since II.

SoulEaterRune_Tir wrote:

Miakis. Billed as one of the stronger magic-using Queen's Knights, she gets three free rune slots. And since she's a ninja, her physical stats aren't completely horrible and she can reach the mythical 5 swings. Along with Norma and the other 3 slotters/multi-attackers, she's pretty much the epitome of broken awesome, more so when you add in Formation Skills like Defensive Circle, Southern Cross, and Elegy.

Incidentally, this is why command and spell runes fall by the wayside: they simply do not synergize well. It also helps that command runes are 99% worthless. But really, trying to achieve balance in a Suikoden game is a futile endeavor, unless you're going for the Hokuto no Ken style of "everybody is ridiculously broken" balance. The system just rewards mindless physical offense and stacking of multipliers too much.

Speaking of ridiculously broken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzX_UIsYCI

Anyhow, I've got a character I'm kicking about, but I'm still working out the fluff.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SoulEaterRune_Tir wrote:

Watari would like to have a word with you. thx!
ETA: Miakis, too!!! How could I forget?!

Tweaked my character a bit. Nerfed max Repel skill down to A, since he has a high EVA stat growth anyway, plus there's that permanent Haziness Rune too, which is what makes him "broken" (although magic attacks = death lolz). Nerfed max Parry down to B+. No need for overkill.

Also added PDF stat.

Finfreeze wrote:
Well, typically it runs from 00-08; higher numbers are better. But there are also a few special growths:

09/10: Extremely high bonuses early on, but at mid-level they stagnate. Viktor, Cecile, and a ton of characters in IV have these kinds of growths.
11/12: Mediocre but steady growth throughout all 99 levels. Snowe is the most noticeable case. Seems to be IV exclusive.
Gremio's STR: Good early, horrible in mid-levels, and at 60-99 it soars.

Yep, pretty much. 05 is the average stat, from my estimation. At Level 60, 09 ends up the same as 04, 10 ends up like 07 (if you notice Emily's STR catches up with Juan at the end). At Level 99, 12 ends up like 07, 11 ends up like 06. I can see why these stuffs is confuzzling. XD

I also agree that Richmond's format was better.
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay i'm fine about the warrior ninja but,i don't understand the stat growths. :?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: